Red Tortoiseshell M600

Chiroptera121

3 hours ago, Uncial said:

As above for my experience of the red torty. It's a real stunner of a pen.

But what is this brown one you speak of? There's a somewhat brown one, but be aware it's a bit more aubergine. Also a beautiful pen.

IMO, Pelikan hasn't made any ugly red pens, although I haven't seen the red Toledo in person. I recently received the newly re-issued Red/Black M800, so thought it was time to update my red bird family photo.

289571961_RedPelikans.jpg.c3f7f3b41f8b59f30b8742a9d9137e01.jpg

Next to the other red Pelikan's, the Red Tortoise does look a bit orange, but put it next to orange Pelikan's, and you see that "Red" is a good descriptor.

1892216960_OrangePelikans.jpg.a67ef26b54c35f77ac6830ade4472acd.jpg

David

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chromantic

• dms525

• Intensity

• TitoThePencilPimp

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/27/2022 at 6:20 PM, Uncial said:

As above for my experience of the red torty. It's a real stunner of a pen.

But what is this brown one you speak of? There's a somewhat brown one, but be aware it's a bit more aubergine. Also a beautiful pen.

Oh I was referring to the brown M101N!

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

21 hours ago, dms525 said:

IMO, Pelikan hasn't made any ugly red pens, although I haven't seen the red Toledo in person. I recently received the newly re-issued Red/Black M800, so thought it was time to update my red bird family photo.

289571961_RedPelikans.jpg.c3f7f3b41f8b59f30b8742a9d9137e01.jpg

Next to the other red Pelikan's, the Red Tortoise does look a bit orange, but put it next to orange Pelikan's, and you see that "Red" is a good descriptor.

1892216960_OrangePelikans.jpg.a67ef26b54c35f77ac6830ade4472acd.jpg

David

Great photos, and beautiful pens, David!

When I bought the M101N in red, I was not sure I was going to like it with the yellowish marbling. However, with time it has grown on me. When I bought the M600 red tortoise, is was love at first sight.

This thread has made me take a good look at my red torty. Lots of orange, and even some pale orangey-white streaks, some very thin black stripes, and a couple of patches of really lovely crimson. It rather reminds me of a shubunkin we used to have, scales of different colours and the colour would change as it swam - if you rotate the Pelikan the colours move, too. It's a really complex stripe.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

19 hours ago, Intensity said:

Oh I was referring to the brown M101N!

There's a brown one? 

I thought there was only the two reds, the aubergene and green, the lizard and the grey?

They're referring to the first green one--it's called 'brown' somewhat erroneously imo, due to the brown ends. But the color of the tortoise is green with small strips of brown (my favorite m101n!)

On 6/8/2021 at 6:47 PM, OCArt said:

Hello CandleJack,

I have the same pen, purchased from Appelboom and ground to a cursive italic by their nibmeister Anabelle Hiller. This is my favorite of the M600 series, a really lovely pen that makes me smile every time I use it. 

I hope you will enjoy yours as much as I delight in mine!

I personally was not happy with her work. On one pen, the cursive italic had no line variation. On the other, it was stub. Maybe a bad day, or she had too many nibs to grind. I had Bacas and Mike fix these nibs, and the difference was night and day.

45 minutes ago, TitoThePencilPimp said:

I personally was not happy with her work. On one pen, the cursive italic had no line variation. On the other, it was stub. Maybe a bad day, or she had too many nibs to grind. I had Bacas and Mike fix these nibs, and the difference was night and day.

That's a shame. Annabelle has ground 4 or 5 nibs for me. I have specified that I want "crisp cursive italic" and the exact line width I want the nib to write. I have been very happy with her grinding.

David

On 4/29/2022 at 6:03 PM, Uncial said:

There's a brown one? 

I thought there was only the two reds, the aubergene and green, the lizard and the grey?

The official name is Tortoiseshell Brown.  Isn’t the lizard model with black cap/finial/section, not gray?  The brown of M101N is definitely not aubergine in color.

On 4/30/2022 at 4:00 PM, oregano said:

They're referring to the first green one--it's called 'brown' somewhat erroneously imo, due to the brown ends. But the color of the tortoise is green with small strips of brown (my favorite m101n!)

It’s not al all erroneous.  The color part does not refer to the color of the binde.  Rather the complete name refers to the color combination of each pen, without specifying any details of the “tortoiseshell” binde—only that it’s “tortoiseshell” in style. E.g.:

- Tortoiseshell-White: White cap/finial/section + “tortoiseshell” style barrel pattern

- Tortoiseshell-Red: Red cap/finial/section + “tortoiseshell” style barrel pattern (Both M600 and M101N)

- Tortoiseshell-Black:  Black cap/finial/section + “tortoiseshell” style barrel pattern

- Toiroiseshell-Brown: Brown cap/finial/section + “tortoiseshell” style barrel pattern

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Maybe i have a colour blindness. Looks sort of aubergene/brown to me rather than a straight forward brown.

The grey one is not the same one as the lizard.

58 minutes ago, Uncial said:

Maybe i have a colour blindness. Looks sort of aubergene/brown to me rather than a straight forward brown.

The grey one is not the same one as the lizard.

We are talking about the Brown Tortoiseshell M101N?  If so, it’s a pretty straight milk-chocolate brown.  Aubergine is a dark warm/dirty purple.  I’m looking at mine in different light now and see no hints of purple in it.