Quill Pens

wspohn

I've read for quite a while that the quills came from the goose's tail, thus the term "pen" from the French penne, and from the Latin pinna both meaning feather. This is why those feathers are called the pin feathers.

I have an old Swiss Army Knife, the "Tinker" version. It has, among other things, a small blade that I've always heard called a pen knife.

Decades ago I tried cutting a quill or two. It didn't work out so well. Its output looked like that of a dulled Sharpie :headsmack: .

fpn_1602330286__feather_quill.png

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• corniche

• wspohn

• BaronWulfraed

• Estycollector

I've read for quite a while that the quills came from the goose's tail, thus the term "pen" from the French penne, and from the Latin pinna both meaning feather. This is why those feathers are called the pin feathers.

I have an old Swiss Army Knife, the "Tinker" version. It has, among other things, a small blade that I've always heard called a pen knife.

Flight primaries are what are used, which is also why there are left and right curving ones, and one wanted the side the curved up and away from the user. If it didn't the top end would get in one's face and block the view of the paper (and even if one did properly strip the vanes from the quill, the top would be poking one in the face).

"Pin feathers" are the roots of feathers that haven't yet grown out to full size. That is, if one plucked all the flight feathers, there would be this raspy surface left with small "pins" sticking out which would have been the next molt growth feathers.

These days, pretty much any pocket knife blade around 1 to 1.5 inches long, with a fairly straight back and cutting edge, and a rapid symmetrical curve near the tip (spear point, even though dull on the back) tends to be called a "pen knife"

As for cutting a quill -- typically they are left in warm sand for some time to dry out the core and harden the tip. Then one cuts. The recent Nova episode had a calligrapher/historian cut a quill -- interestingly, he cut the slit before finishing the shape, and trimming the end.

A "Nova" episode on the origins of writing showed a calligrapher cutting a quill with an X-Acto knife, so you don't need to angst over your tools. Another calligrapher used a slice of soda can to make a nib, so if you can't get feathers...

A "Nova" episode on the origins of writing showed a calligrapher cutting a quill with an X-Acto knife, so you don't need to angst over your tools. Another calligrapher used a slice of soda can to make a nib, so if you can't get feathers...

I have that episode recorded for future reference. It's the show's host making both pens.

It's an absolutely brilliant (and educational) episode.