Pupulinia

fpupulin

Franco, please accept my congratulations as well. You are a man of many talents, and you have developed them and used them to a very high standard. We are all grateful that you are a part of our community!

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fpupulin

• Wael El-Dasher

• N1003U

• hari317

Congratulations, Franco!

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

• 1 year later...
On 8/28/2020 at 12:55 PM, fpupulin said:

fpn_1598633451__pupulinia_fp.jpg

fpn_1598633669__pupulinia_1_bordo.jpg

I wrote the splurge of this pride announcement with the flexible nib of my trustworthy Montblanc 149 Calligraphy, filled with Montblanc Permanent Black ink.

The support is Fabriano Ingres laid paper, 85 gr, in the color "Ice".

Hello fpupulin

I seemed to have missed this post and just came across it now.

Congratulations for the honour bestowed upon you.

Very well deserved I am sure. 

Now, with the way your handwriting is progressing, maybe one day soon you will have an orchid and a font named after you.

Will we be able to get a Pupulinia at our local Costco anytime soon?

Inked

16 hours ago, Inked said:

Hello fpupulin

I seemed to have missed this post and just came across it now.

Congratulations for the honour bestowed upon you.

Very well deserved I am sure. 

Now, with the way your handwriting is progressing, maybe one day soon you will have an orchid and a font named after you.

Will we be able to get a Pupulinia at our local Costco anytime soon?

Inked

As did I, Franco. Allow me to add my belated congratulations.

19 hours ago, Carrau said:

As did I, Franco. Allow me to add my belated congratulations.

+1.

What a lovely orchid. Do you have any photos handy of one that is completely dark purple, i.e., without the spots?

Sorry for the belated congratulations. This is wonderful news and a well deserved honor. 

cheers

W

“Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis”

Inked, Carrau, N1003U, Wael, thank you very much for your kind words.

In particular, N1003U, this is the closest to a completely purple form of Pupulinia shuarii that I know:

large.04FB8CC3-A850-411B-845D-6EA5A5B2F12D.jpeg.7b9d0b73ed4761c9dc26ba30090c56bf.jpeg

The photograph is not mine, but of friends of mine who took it in Ecuador. A somewhat sinister and fascinating flower, isn’t it?

3 minutes ago, fpupulin said:

Inked, Carrau, N1003U, Wael, thank you very much for your kind words.

In particular, N1003U, this is the closest to a completely purple form of Pupulinia shuarii that I know:

large.04FB8CC3-A850-411B-845D-6EA5A5B2F12D.jpeg.7b9d0b73ed4761c9dc26ba30090c56bf.jpeg

The photograph is not mine, but of friends of mine who took it in Ecuador. A somewhat sinister and fascinating flower, isn’t it?

Wow! Absolutely gorgeous! 

“Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis”

Wow! That is quite a lovely and unique specimen. I have the good fortune of having a neighbor who is quite into raising orchids. This means I am able to enjoy the beauty and variety of these plants, with neither the work and responsibility that their artificial cultivation entails, nor the labor of seeking them out in the wild. Quite a benefit for me. My neighbor, however, I think appreciates someone willing to take more than a superficial interest in his odd plants. 

Pupulinia shuarii  does look a bit sinister, particularly in that solid dark purple. The color is not unlike some specimens I have seen in SE Asia with broad, fan-shaped petals, but the shape is really unique. It reminds me bit of the adjective 大, or maybe a person sticking out a large tongue. Is the species particularly rare, or simply limited in the region where it grows?

I am an engineer by trade, but my wife is a biologist, and it never ceases to amaze me not only how almost identical DNA can produce such a variety, but also how significantly different DNA can produce almost identical structures, colors, etc.

How large are those flowers typically?