What Sheaffers Have Joined Your Collection Lately?

NumberSix

I purchased a Royal Selangor last year, but I hadn't posted it in this thread. It is, to be honest, a bit heavy in the hand for me, so I only ink it occasionally for some special occasion. The pen was NOS and equipped with a B nib, one of the largest round blobs I've ever seen. Gena Salorino of Custom Nib Studio put a soft architect grind on it and it writes very well... I sometimes put the section in an "Old Timer" No Nonsense pen to use a bit more without wearing out my hand!

spacer.png

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• JonSzanto

• Penguincollector

• NumberSix

Speaking of forgetting, this set found my way a couple of weeks back. I've looked for a good example of "Blue" for a while and this pair ticked the boxes. I captured this quickly in the afternoon sunlight - they don't pop quite that much, but it indicates how well-preserved the color is. I'm pleased.

spacer.png

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

• 2 weeks later...

For me, it was a Lady Sheaffer 620, M nib, at an estate sale I went to on Friday afternoon (I know what it is because it still had the price/nib sticker on the cap.  No pix yet, sorry (the weather did not cooperate, and my body didn't either).  But posted the link to a similar looking one on eBay in another thread (the one about recent impulsive acquisitions, so appears to be the "brushed steel" body.  

Haven't had a chance to flush it out yet, but that's partly because the sac in the squeeze bar style converter seems to be as hard as a rock.  Anyone know where to try looking for a replacement one?  Or another style converter that would fit in the pen?  Thanks in advance.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

@inkstainedruth, it should be just a regular sized squeeze converter. Same size as the regular Skrip cartridges. I don’t know if the modern ones will fit in the barrel, the piston might make it too long, but it should fit to clean it. Teri at Peyton Street Pens has the squeeze ones in stock for $20.

Top 5 of 24 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

My newest Sheaffers are a slim black pen which the seller, a very knowledgeable pen person, insists is a slim Targa, but looks like a matte black Fashion; and a matte grey Sheaffer/Sailor Sentinel. 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

10 minutes ago, Penguincollector said:

My newest Sheaffers are a slim black pen which the seller, a very knowledgeable pen person, insists is a slim Targa, but looks like a matte black Fashion...

Yes... but the Targa and Fashion have completely different nibs! The Targa, even the slim, is the inlaid nib, whereas the fashion sports a smallish standard exposed nib. There should be no confusion as to which pen model it is.

~ Benjamin Franklin

2 minutes ago, JonSzanto said:

Yes... but the Targa and Fashion have completely different nibs! The Targa, even the slim, is the inlaid nib, whereas the fashion sports a smallish standard exposed nib. There should be no confusion as to which pen model it is.

That’s what I kept trying to explain to him. I thought the slim also had the Targa clip. It was $15, which is a good price for a Fashion these days. 

36 minutes ago, Penguincollector said:

That’s what I kept trying to explain to him. I thought the slim also had the Targa clip. It was $15, which is a good price for a Fashion these days. 

I don't know if this is an online seller or someone face-to-face, but it really is an uncontestable issue. The Sheaffer Targas, even the Slim models, all had the inlaid nib, and both the Fashion I and Fashion II had small but standard, exposed nibs. You can see a number of NOS examples for sale at Peyton Street Pens. If this is a 'knowledgeable' seller, the knowledge doesn't appear to be of mid-late model Sheaffer pens. Be careful in this purchase.

~ Benjamin Franklin

@Penguincollector I admit I go a bit nuts on things like this, I just don't enjoy sales of pens being clouded by misinformation. So I looked in the pen cabinet. I don't currently own a slim Targa, but here are two nearly identical models, both matte black w gold trim. Upper pen is the standard Targa, lower pen is the Fashion II. You'll notice they are both "white dot" pens, but the open nib on the Fashion is unmistakable. The very same pen can be seen here on the PSP site.

20231202_211123.thumb.jpg.75b268f6bc372961ec86b3ac2c866048.jpg

~ Benjamin Franklin

@JonSzanto, I will DM you and explain the situation. I know the differences well, as this is the generation of Sheaffer that I grew up using, and obsessing over in catalogs in my early years of collecting. I have a TRZ/Fashion I/II micro collection that I visit Peyton for and have several models there saved on my wish list.

14 hours ago, Penguincollector said:

@inkstainedruth, it should be just a regular sized squeeze converter. Same size as the regular Skrip cartridges. I don’t know if the modern ones will fit in the barrel, the piston might make it too long, but it should fit to clean it. Teri at Peyton Street Pens has the squeeze ones in stock for $20.

Yeah, I found their website last night, before seeing your post, and have sent them mail asking which one is the correct one for the pen (they have a slightly more expensive one as well, but I couldn't tell what the dimensions were for the two converters).  Probably won't hear back before Monday at the earliest.

But thanks.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

It’s the less expensive one. The other is for slim pens, like the Fashion I and Slim Targa. The button one is for earlier pens, I think. I have a Lady 632 and it has a regular squeeze converter. 

3 hours ago, Penguincollector said:

@JonSzanto, I will DM you and explain the situation. I know the differences well, as this is the generation of Sheaffer that I grew up using, and obsessing over in catalogs in my early years of collecting. I have a TRZ/Fashion I/II micro collection that I visit Peyton for and have several models there saved on my wish list.

Ah, I'm sorry, didn't know any backstory. I hope I didn't just end up irritating you, that was certainly not my intention! Best wishes as you move forward.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Just now, JonSzanto said:

Ah, I'm sorry, didn't know any backstory. I hope I didn't just end up irritating you, that was certainly not my intention! Best wishes as you move forward.

Thanks, it was no bother at all and I totally understand and appreciate where you’re coming from. There’s so much bad information out there; now there’s another well sourced and explained source with pictures to counteract those questionable ones.

Today I pulled the trigger on a Sheaffer 1000 (dolphin). It was cheap as they don't appear to be much loved but I thought it was interesting as it doesn't quite fit into any other of the well established lines. Something to look forward to in the post.

@Armo, I was recently given a dolphin nib in exchange for a busted Triumph 550 arrowhead nib, so I have a bit of a frankenpen. I love that EF dolphin nib. I would love a blue 500 or 1000. 

Well the (larger) converter is now on order, as of last night.

Well the dolphin 100 turned up and luckily it came with an empty cartridge as it won't take a converter. I have two types (only seen two types) and neither fit so be warned. Otherwise a nice rather curious pen.

48 minutes ago, Armo said:

Well the dolphin 100 turned up and luckily it came with an empty cartridge as it won't take a converter. I have two types (only seen two types) and neither fit so be warned. Otherwise a nice rather curious pen.

The 1000 takes the rare Sheaffer button converter. I’m not sure where you can source one in the UK, but here in the US, they’re sold at Peyton Street Pens. Take a look at the picture and see if it’s something you can find across the pond. 

Sheaffer Button Converter