Japanese Pen Magazine "shumi No Bungubako"

mke

It seems they change something, it now has the month of the year on the front page, while the volume number - 54 - big until volume 53, is in very small print below the 7.

For what reason is up to speculation. I don't assume they are making it monthly.

Their way of a radical new design? :)

Btw., the new one is due on June 27 - I just reserved it.

51UVgC+93nL._SX366_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Edited by mke

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mke

• sam3k

• KingsCountyWriter

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got the new issue. Very few pen information, a lot about journaling and the work environment of the nibshaper Mr. Nagahara.

Looks like a coronavirus-effected magazine issue.

I think I recall this magazine being available online, in a digital format. Do you know anything about that? It was significantly less than the paper version too.

Yes - Amazon has a Kindle and Yodobashi a pdf version. Don't know if they sell abroad.

I heard that some magazine aggregators have them. Who? I don't know. Some people here know certainly.

I just got the information what has changed.

I will paste it below. I think it means "less content but same price than before".

And this what they say according to gTranslate.

"From "No. 54", "Hobby Stationery Box" has become a magazine. Up until issue 53, it was a mook (between magazines and books), but the latest issue will be the July 2020 issue. By becoming a magazine, we will be able to make more books and deliver them to all over Japan. We are gathering information about stationery that is richer and more refreshing, and is packed with it. Please take a look."

I've also got a copy of vol. 54 in front of me. The next issue will be the October 2020 issue (available 7th of September), so it looks like it will still be quarterly.

Maybe it's distribution thing? Magazines might be available in convenience stores, or via subscription?

I'm hoping that it will still be available on Amazon Japan once it becomes a 'magazine', as I often pick up the latest copy when ordering other items, and I've found Amazon Japan to be really useful in getting things sent to the UK as they prepay the tax.

I don't understand what this "mook" thing should be. In Japan there are lots of women's wagazines with double the page nuber of the mooks.

Nothing but sales talk. Their explanation actually doesn't contain any fact and a look at the issue only brings up the reduced content.

Let's see if they focus more on stationary in general.

They already had the problem that they apparently did only stories about brands that bought advertisement.

Non-buyers info entered the magazine only in a btw. column style. I don't remember if I ever saw an article about small Japanese brands or the many foreign brands.

Edited by mke