Top Posters In This Topic

• christof

• Soot

• BMG

• markiv

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you Vik!

...actually, I'm having some trouble offering new content at the moment. The reason for this is that I almost don't acquire any new pens, since I am more than busy cataloguing and documenting my collection in order to prepare the transfer to the Museum für Gestaltung in Zurich. Nevertheless, from time to time I try to show some pictures. Just for fun. Here for example some Lamy Safari pictures:
48618638467_74ef5b1510_o.jpg
48618494766_c4d268641d_o.jpg
48618638752_33fd970c2b_o.jpg
This original SAFARI tray full of pens is definitely one of my favourite mini collections!
C.
Edited by christof

Christof, I refer to pen photography in general, which has a lot in common with jewelry, watches, etc. Technically difficult to do well. Your photos are always good, but I just find this one does it all. The specular highlights are not blown, but the light is not so diffuse as to appear dull. The darker materials retain color tinges. The metal textures are informative. The reflective areas highlight text and details in a natural way. Within the context of product photography, this photo is really good.

Thank you.

Since I see my (photo) work only as documentation work and not as a creative process, I am not confronted with many difficulties. I have been photographing my pens in the same way and with the same lighting for years and always avoid problems with depth of field. That makes it a pretty simple and routine job.

C.

Edited by christof

Product photography shows subjects in ways that are both attractive and accurate. Documentary photography is just accurate. Many of your photos accomplish both aspects and I think you are too modest.

I have always found accuracy to be hard, so I fool about with interpretive styles. The results are inconsistent. Sadly, I haven't set up routine lighting and acquisition environments because my subjects vary (everything from airplanes to microscopes). I will try to do a dedicated setup if I start photographing pens again.

... I haven't set up routine lighting and acquisition environments....

The studio with the fixed equipement is the most importatnt thing to me. If a picture is not done in 10 minutes, it will not be done in 10 years. My photo job backlog is zero...

Edited by christof

• 2 weeks later...

What a great illustration! Thank you for sharing!

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today