What's Up At Christof's

christof

"no special series, just wrong parts put togehter to a nice pen"

Makes me think of the similarities between dogs and pens. Some people value the pedigreed dog which is the perfect example of the standard. And true enough these can be wonderful specimens.

But the mutt, the street dog that adopts you: one ear too long, a rough coat but who will do anything for you, that too is a keeper. Like your pen, a collection of parts that go together and produce something that just works and is pleasing because of it's function.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• christof

• Soot

• BMG

• markiv

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It has been some time ago since I posted one of my pen finds here. There are several reasons for that (lots of work at the office, lots of work for the Msueum of Design, few new pens :( not so regular visits here on FPN anymore etc...)

But here is one that I thought it might worth to show:

32883554860_704355dd3c_k.jpg

Of course this is a common black Pelikan 100N with the piston mechanics of a later Pelikan 101N Tortoise. No prototype, no special series, just wrong parts put togehter to a nice pen. I actually found this pen on a local flea market this way and decided to keep it as it is because I really like the combination of the colors...

But the really amazing part is the nib. Have a look yourself:

33162914241_51f279049d_k.jpg

Probably a BBB, writes like a brush...

32476568783_b3e60bbab7_k.jpg

33162915871_b53d8727f7_k.jpg

C.

Hello christof!

Vow! Thats a nice & very desirable nib. I like the way its ground.

Superb!

Thanks for sharing!

Best regards,

Arvind.

Just a quick note about some interesting vintage Lamy I got recently:

32813173184_9a45b41f13_h.jpg

Unnumbered LAMY piston filler. It's a little bit shorter than the common 27/99 and has a step on the barrel.

The piston mechanism is the same as the early 27 have:

31937625633_3b2232451e_h.jpg

But section, feeder and nib are COMPLETELY different, no "Tintomatic" like collector, just a plain HR feeder with longitudinal slots. Must be an late 40's, early 50's pen. No number on this pen, just LAMY and F are imprinted.

Could be a pre 27-series. The nib is nothing that I have seen before on a Lamy.

33503133062_c3e1e9d39c_h.jpg

Lamy 27 advert, showing ink collector:

32842789643_f4aab2efe9_b.jpg

The second one is as interesting as the one above. It's a Lincoln de Luxe with rolled cold cap. The whole pen looks like a Lamy 27 except the section. The Imprint on the blind cap is Lamy like: 96m

33272010780_86621ae38f_h.jpg

The piston mechanism is the same as the first generation of Lamy 27 except the piston seal which is plastic already.

But the really strange thing is the section. The shape is totally different of all similar Lamys I have seen. There is an intarsia of a white dot to mark the top side. The feeder already has a collector but the nib looks completely different and has more in common with a Pilot capless nib than any Lamy nib I have ever seen.

33619014756_7067057c08_h.jpg

Clearly a Lamy, but no hint about date of production and any reason for the name. A mistery...

The third pen is a Lamy 47C, probably made for the spanish market (there is an imprint "Registrada", which means that the Trade mark was registered).

31515686613_6af78d8350_h.jpg

The pen has all features of a first generation LAMY 27 as piston, section nib and feeder. The pen has a nice chrome plated slip cap which works perfectly.

I you have further informtions about one of these, please share with us. Thanks.

C.

Edited by christof

Wow, what terrific finds there Christof! I've never ever seen that special narrow nib LAMY. "96m" on the blind cap? How strange. I expect it is either a prototype or some engineer at LAMY made his own variant just for fun, perhaps after seeing a Pilot Capless (because the nib seems totally inspired by it). The real curiosity is that section, as it appears to be originally molded for that nib (instead of a modification of a 27 section). Is there a step on the underside with a breather hole? And curious about the white dot insert, reminiscent of Sheaffer ornamentation.

Where did you find it??

And yes, when I first became obsessed with the Lamy 27n and wrote up a whole pictorial treatise on the pen, I forwarded a copy to Lamy. They thanked me for the enthusiasm but were very terse. And they deflected answering any questions about Lamy 27 history. It almost felt like they wanted nothing to do with it, that the LAMY corporation "really started" with the 2000 back in 1966.

This is pure speculation, but I get the feeling that Manfred Lamy didn't approve much of how his father, C. Joseph Lamy, ran the company and wanted to distance himself from it as much as possible. "Reboot" the company... and so he did, with the help of Gerd Alfred Müller, the father of the 2000.

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Is there a step on the underside with a breather hole?

No step at the underseide. The shape is almost symmetric, but there is a breather hole at the underside, in opposite to the white dot intarsia

Where did you find it??

Thomas Westerich brought them to our last meeting.

C.

I just made a tool to dismantle them properly:

32919779263_c94b063ade_k.jpg

And this is how the piston looks:

33348350010_612605ec7a_k.jpg

...good system (in case you have the tool by hand).

Good friends of mine were able to identify one of the pens:

33701420286_0eb7ab7b43_k.jpg

At least, the found a similar ARTUS in the catalog from 1950. So this LAMY is definitely a pre-27 model. Good to have friends with an archive...

C.

Edited by christof

Great tool indeed. Similar principle for a tool used to disassemble a Pilot Vanishing Point nib assembly. Richard Binder used one on mine. Looks pretty much the same, except with a more narrow diameter. :)

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

I got this pen by a lucky coincidence.

(If I would have been looking for one, I never would have found one. They are incredibly rare...)

33861750465_6a3a74cddf_o.jpg

It's a Goldfink Wunderfüller from about 1938 in the largest available size ever!

32903515691_c8395f7d20_o.jpg

Greg Minuskin did a great job by rebuilding the nib. But there are still other jobs that need to be done...

33017990754_2fbe5fa0d2_o.jpg[/url]

As already said, the pen is of impressive size. Here a comparison with a big red:

33705708222_77cca2f55e_o.jpg

I already did invest a lot of time and $ in this pen but I tink it's worth the effort.

C.

Christof,

A beautiful Goldfink!

I notice a 4 color pencil at the bottom of the ad. Another example of the great work of Fend of Pforzheim.

Thanks for showing your picture Kawuska! A nice pen.

fpn_1491816328__punkt_durchsicht.jpg

On the advertisement one can read "Punkt Durchsicht", which means "punctual transparency".

Maybe Punktfüller was an earlier or later name before or after Wunderfüller.

C.

Edited by christof