What's Up At Christof's

christof

Yep, but the best thing are the Photographs of Lamy ephemera like this:

16894112093_09dc162753_o.jpg

...inspired me to do this picturte series:

10795587223_81be5fcd66_k.jpg

C.

Sincere, genuine, Real thanks C. Your posts are always a delightful surprise. i do recall this started as a way to entertain your son. Warmest regards to all your family. I'm just one of many here who appreciate that you stretch a bit to share with Us too. :D It's great fun.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• christof

• Soot

• BMG

• markiv

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I bought one of those Olive Green Safaris when they came out. I still have the box, somewhere. Thanks for posting.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

My latest flea market find is a vintage Rotring Rapidograph:

17621121756_791c1de11d_b.jpgRotring Rapidograph von -C.M.Z.-

17621110476_444b9a550f_b.jpgRotring Rapidograph von -C.M.Z.-

Nothing special at all,and not to speak about the condition. Normally, a pen I never would buy even if it would be for free...

Nevertheless, I bought it because of nostalgic reasons. As an architect who studied and worked before computer and CAD, I can well imagine how this pen has been used by an architect or draughts man during the 50's or 60's and may be the 70's and then has been laying on the drawing table for a very long time without seeing any use, until it found his way to the flea market.

Will I restore this pen? Of course not. The patina is part of its history and makes the fascination as a historic object.

C.

Edited by christof

Somewhere in this thread I once posted that I am not very fond of Tortoise Pelikans. I have to admit that I was wrong...

Finally I got a new pen which is worth showing here. Adding this pen to my collection is the result of a 3 years during search and endless negotiations. You can imagine that I am quite happy right now...(of course, this is just a temporary feeling but you collectors know this too).

Now here comes the pen. It's a Pelikan 101 in Tortoise from about 1936. The condition is fantastic and couldn't be better (all the credit for this goes to Tom Westerich).

17096117903_e0e3af25a2_k.jpg17834473056_95a43f9772_o.png

17861343661_8c7876fe83_k.jpg

17861359401_40d7f7ec6f_k.jpg

17861350571_cad23b41df_k.jpg

17857898012_2ce55bebd5_k.jpg

17673292120_6dc6cf8264_k.jpg

17788534196_e816eb6729_k.jpg

C.

Edited by christof

[...]

You can imagine that I am quite happy right now...(of course, this is just a temporary feeling but you collectors know this too).

[...]

I suspect the feeling of happiness and acheivment will take very long to fade away on this one ;)

That is a superb, hard to find pen!

Cheers!

Wow! That's a beauty!

Nice to see the entire group, too.

EDIT: What's the story (presuming there is one) on the cap of the lizard model?

Edited by BMG

Écrire c’est tenter de savoir ce qu’on écrirait si on écrivait. – M. Duras

Christof,

What an addition to your collection! Congratulations. This is an absolutely beautiful pen!

The fact of its' rarity and the need to have it to complete a particular set of models are a different consideration. This pen is a free=standing work of art in its' own right.

Congratulations on your successful acquisition.

Dick

What a stunning example of a beautiful and extremely rare pen! Congratulations! What a drool-worthy pen!

I am still waiting for that two-band 400 Light Tortoise Feeling... :D

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

I suspect the feeling of happiness and acheivment will take very long to fade away on this one ;)

Always depends on the new find!

EDIT: What's the story (presuming there is one) on the cap of the lizard model?

This is a so called "Short cap top" or "long cap" model. Pelikan 100, 101, 100N and 101N as well have been made in this variant. Probably the German answer to military clips...

Have a look at here: http://www.pelikan-guide.com/100_colored_cap.html

The fact of its' rarity and the need to have it to complete a particular set of models are a different consideration. This pen is a free=standing work of art in its' own right.

My Pelikan 100 collection is far from complete and I assume that it's nearly impossible to get it complete one day...

What is the transparent dark red material Pelikan is using in 1936?

Clear celluloid which was straw yellow originally and has darkened by time and use.

I am still waiting for that two-band 400 Light Tortoise Feeling... :D

Not a bad feeling at all, but it already begins to subside unfortunately...

C.

Edited by christof

The pen 'photographs' quite well, meaning the combination of your skill and the pen's characteristics are really pleasing to the eye. My question is this: In the photo this pen looks like it is in incredibly good condition. Not just for a pen that is 75 years old, but any vintage pen. Is it really as nice as looks?

The pen 'photographs' quite well, meaning the combination of your skill and the pen's characteristics are really pleasing to the eye. My question is this: In the photo this pen looks like it is in incredibly good condition. Not just for a pen that is 75 years old, but any vintage pen. Is it really as nice as looks?

Yup.

:)

c

What a privilege it it to be part of this community, even if it is only as observer.

It is comforting to know to know that these little art works will survive the ravishes of time, they will outlive their utilitarian intent and become a testimony to craftsmanship, to those that used them, and cherished them, and to those with the foresight to collect and protect them.

May this clutch survive unfathomable times for the enjoyment of all who take the time to look.

Thank you Christof

http://www.maryhatay.com/Mark/Fountain-Pens/Mixed-Pens/i-qv5h3mN/0/O/atramentum%20Digitis%20small.jpg

Not just a VERY sweet pen, but great photography of it as well.

Drool... Drooooooool...

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

Late to the party, but saw your Rapidograph earlier. The 1971 US version below was made by Kohinoor but says Rapidograph on the grey band with Made in Germany (not West Germany) etched lightly on the side of the cap. Composers used these for higher quality scores and parts. Two or three Rapidographs with a half dozen various sized points and the Pelikan Graphos for dynamics, note flags and such, that was the standard equipment. I don't think software took over till the 90's. Not letting mine go either. St

http://stbrock.net/Kohinoor%20Rapidograph%20c.%201971.jpg

Late to the party, but saw your Rapidograph earlier. The 1971 US version below was made by Kohinoor but says Rapidograph on the grey band with Made in Germany (not West Germany) etched lightly on the side of the cap. Composers used these for higher quality scores and parts. Two or three Rapidographs with a half dozen various sized points and the Pelikan Graphos for dynamics, note flags and such, that was the standard equipment. I don't think software took over till the 90's. Not letting mine go either. St

Thank you for this interesting note.

Architecture offices in CH started with CAD also around 1990. Some earlier, some later and some never, haha!

Would be very interesting to see a scanned example of what you mention above. I will have a look if I can find a nice architectural plan of this time.

C.

PS: Do you stil use your Rapidograph? I don't have mines anymore...(I had some Faber Castell cartridge stylos, bought in 1989!)

Edited by christof

My newest is not a pen. But at least as cool...

It's an original pen stand. Mint and boxed!

17719075293_b91e1fe43e_o.jpgPelikan Füllhalter-Ständer by C.M.Z., auf Flickr

Matching to Pelikan 100, IBIS, 100N, 120, 140, 300, and 400(-,N and NN)

18151895518_9f8945eb2a_o.pngPelikan Füllhalter-Ständer by C.M.Z., auf Flickr

Here's a vintage advert showing the stand:

9209385626_6c016e2090_o.jpgPelikan Gift Box by C.M.Z., auf Flickr

8743915730_61b4cfc589_o.jpgPelikan_Werbung_2 by C.M.Z., auf Flickr

I really love the corporate desing of vintage Pelikan products and boxes!!

18168277289_ef8ac73a97_b.jpgPelikan Füllhalter-Ständer von -C.M.Z.-

C.

Edited by christof

Beautiful pen stand Christof. I'm sure it'll make a nice addition to your collection.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan