What's Up At Christof's

christof

Wonderful!

I love the Pelikanos, but everytime I see a 2013 edition I keep saying to myself: (nah, I don't repeat that here)

Greetings,

Michael

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• christof

• Soot

• BMG

• markiv

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

maybe because this pens have been just designed for daily use?

c.

That may be, but even they have a distinct aesthetic / style / look, and it isn't even a "degree zero" design. It's probably just a personal thing, but I find the design of pens like the 1960 Pelikano above (and other "torpedo"-shaped pens of the ’50s and ’60s like the Pelikan 400NN or some of the Montblanc 2XX series) to be just about perfect.

Écrire c’est tenter de savoir ce qu’on écrirait si on écrivait. – M. Duras

That may be, but even they have a distinct aesthetic / style / look, and it isn't even a "degree zero" design. It's probably just a personal thing, but I find the design of pens like the 1960 Pelikano above (and other "torpedo"-shaped pens of the ’50s and ’60s like the Pelikan 400NN or some of the Montblanc 2XX series) to be just about perfect.

I do like the torpedo FPs too. Although they are less common nowadays in low or mid-range brands.

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow

• 2 weeks later...

Recently, I was able to buy a very nice Parker Lady Duofold in RHR from 1924. (FPN is still a great place to catch pens!)

Some days after, the pen arrived at my door. I don't have to explain why I absolutely love RHR an this pen is no exception! Have a look at this fantastic imprint:

15743150782_280515b8dc_b.jpg

15556445197_a0015bfa3b_b.jpg

Then I realised that the pen was quite huge for that what I knew as Lady size....

15732107896_79c190d694_o.jpg

I took out my other Duofolds, especially a Junior sized Permanite Duofold. Surprisingly, both pens were exactly the same dimensions, lenght and diameter. The Lady is even longer when the cap is posted...

15758822002_92e431560f_b.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have the Duofold book at hand right now but I will check as soon as possible...

And now, I am dreaming of a Senior in RHR, sigh....

C.

And now, I am dreaming of a Senior in RHR, sigh....

C.

Say, aren't you a little young to be dreaming of Seniors…

:)

• 2 weeks later...

I mainly collect Pelikan and Parker, but there is a brand which has some fascination to me since I have seen my first pen of these. It's Matador.

Matador is a German Brand which does not exist anymore. There is only few information known about this brand. One of the best sources for German pen history is T. Neureither which provides this informations: Matadors have been made in Wuppertal between ca. 1906 and 1958. The name of the factory was "Matador Füllhalterfabrik" owned by Löwen und Löwen, Wuppertal. There may be a connection to another vintage German Brand "Standard".

I only had 3 Matadors in the past. Two of them were pistonfillers and one was a Matador Turbo, a turnknob filler. I sold them all because one has to focus...

Of course I regret that (as I usually do when I had to sell a cool pen...) so I had to have this when my friend showed it to me. Matador are well made pens, with uncomplicated mechanism, and fantastic nibs. Compareable to Soennecken or Pelikan. But have a look at this:

15640375590_8c45f225c2_b.jpg

15640046407_634bbf0c80_b.jpg

15801572126_9698cf6dfb_b.jpg

15803035756_ba06a27a92_b.jpg

15824597211_e7f86c9ef3_b.jpg

...as already said: one have to focus. But I am sure I need a second one of these...at least. but let's see...

c.

Edited by christof

Very nice pen Christoph, congratulations!

I've repaired already a few of these, surely well made and maintenance friendly pens !

I fully agree these pens are of the same league of Pelikan and Soennecken.

Francis

note to self: one has to focus... and not be tempted by Christof's Matador post. :excl:

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

note to self: one has to focus... and not be tempted by Christof's Matador post. :excl:

I am focused – I focus on every damn thing he posts. :P

Thanks for posting the detailed photos of the Matador FPs as I've always been interested in the smaller German companies but rarely see them for sale overseas.

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow

I've got a thing for Matador too, very well made, great, usually oversized nibs!

What a pen! Fantastic!

Thanks for sharing your picture with us.

c.

Edited by christof

Maybe Christof's focus will tend to enlarger with Turbo Matador...

I've got a thing for Matador too, very well made, great, usually oversized nibs!

You guys have just opened the Pandora's box for us. Out goes the focus, in with the temptation... :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Swan pens are definitely not on focus of my collection. Nevertheless, the one I recently got is something special.

I have a weak spot for vintage flexible nibs. And when I speak of flexible, I dont mean nice springy nibs like vintage Pelikan for example. I mean really flexible nibs which provides a wide range of line variation, as wide as possible.

For example this Swan nib. The variation goes from XXF-BBB! And this without pushing the nib to hard. But have a look yourself.

15968075885_2de1dfe5bb_b.jpg

15967423762_28d99bf220_b.jpg

15348463503_82e454f71c_z.jpg

15968070625_bf22c62d88_b.jpg

15968078135_13c4da21ed_b.jpg

Now, the pen was not in museum condition when it came to me. There was a crack in the cap lip. Every time the cap has been posted (and I always post caps on pens of this size) the crack has been forced. Not nice. Because I wanted to keep this pen, I did a repair I have never done before: I did insert a thin brass collar, inside oft he cap. Not an easy task for me and my basic equipment but the result became reasonable. Okay, the pen will not get the prix délegance with this repair but it works.

15780790490_d2c8e2682b_b.jpg

15780683818_94981583c5_b.jpg

Some words to the drawing. My son ( the eldest) is fascinated by Dinosaurs since he is 2 years old. Recently he discovered some pictures of a Therizinosaurus and was absolutely thrilled of this creature. A quick search on google told us that only few bones have been found of this animal, no complete skeletton and no skulls.It was my intention to show him that drawings of dinosaurs are speculatively in most cases. And it could be that the real thing looks completely different. Now, his enthusiasm was rather modest about my sketch...

Let's see what is next.

c.

Edited by christof

Swan~~~ A lot of them are hit and miss. But when they are a hit, they are wonderful! But that goes for a lot of vintage pens out there.

FYI* I still have that green Swan I got from you a while back. :-)