My Original Magazine Pen Ads, Some With Matching-Ish Pens

KBeezie

My vintage original magazine pen ads, some with matching (or close to matching) pens shown.

Eversharp "Fifth Avenue" (late 40s model) in Dubonnet Red, 14K Soft Accountant nib, shown on top of a 1943 Ad (approx 11x14)

O8CvZ7k.jpg

A "Wahl Pen" (1928~1929) in Jade with a 14K "Signature" soft Extra-Fine, shown on top of a 1928 Ad, along with my (older model) Eversharp pencil in "Rosewood".

I originally called the pen a Wahl LF (though not sure where I got that from), and previous owner called it a Wahl Signature Pen, but it can't be a Signature pen in jade, and without saying "Signature Pen" on the cap, the "Signature" nibs were used on a lot of models. After looking up the catalog as 720GRC (but listed as $3.50 in the 1928 catalog), but from some reading it seemed like it might be the $5 "Wahl Pen" they came out with in 1928 as a sort of everyone pen that was fitted with whatever nib of choice you wanted.

The ad is about 11x14

h69a4dE.jpg

wQVbQQs.jpg

Sheaffer Snorkel Valiant (1st year with 14K Snorkel Tube) in Grey with a 14K EF nib and matching pencil, along with a Pastel Green Snorkel Sentinel with a PdAg Medium nib (selling the green one by the way) on top of a couple ads from 1956 and 1960.

r5XIb1c.jpg

LmtkFa7.jpg

Esterbrook J Double-Jewel in Black with a 9450 (Extra Firm, Extra Fine) nib, on top of ads from 1952 to 1954

pBN1Cuh.jpg

An Eversharp Syline Ad from mid 1940s. I haven't found a skyline of this exact color combination (and the 'white' most of the time has discolored to green after 80 years). Do presently have a Skyline Standard with matching pencil in Brown Moire.

EEzjFgG.jpg

I received the second ad (with the "Wahl Pen") today, unfortunately despite saying "Do Not Bend!" on the package, it was bent right across the top anyways in transit. At least the crease goes across a blank area of the page.

Ads I would like to find for pens I have :

• Sheaffer Triumph in Black (1940s?)

• Pelikan 400nn (standard green, 1956)

• Parker Challenger (1937, Marbled red)

• Montblanc 14 (1960s, Black)

• Waterman 55 (Woodgrain, not sure of years)

• Pilot Super 250 (Black, 1960s, probably hard to find)

• Parker 45 (Turquoise/Vinta Blue or Teal Blue)

• A Sheaffer Snorkel ad that matches my grey Valiant Set

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KBeezie

• OMASsimo

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for sharing. But what gets me most is the first ad advertising "writes dry!" while currently most people here seem to be crazy about pens that write wet. Isn't that curious?

Thanks for sharing. But what gets me most is the first ad advertising "writes dry!" while currently most people here seem to be crazy about pens that write wet. Isn't that curious?

I think it's because the ink they advertise to use for it is fast-drying, if you read the first paragraph, it specifies "Quick-Drying Ink", so it's not talking about flow but rather drying time.

Similar are ads for Parker 51 that almost always had "Writes Dry with Wet Ink!", that's because at the time, the recommended ink for the Parker 51 was Parker Superchrome, which was isopropyl alcohol based. The ink would flow very wet, but as the alcohol evaporated rapidly, it was dry within seconds, thus no smears (but at the same time, that ink would melt most other pens that were not made of the same lucite material, especially celluloid)

Edited by KBeezie

This is the backside of the "Fifth Avenue" ad (with a little color correction for the aging). A bit of wartime propaganda and beauty tips, and what I don't normally see in a 1940s magazine ad, a full on color photograph.

OG2So0s.jpg

The backside of the Wahl Pen ad from 1928 is basically advertising for batteries.