The Scripto Mechanical Pencil

Black Spot

I have very fond memory's of the Scripto mechanical pencil.

I still find myself looking for them.

Did any one else use these pens at work or school ?

nos-scripto-black-1-1mm-mechanical-pencil-w-box-1-1mm-leads-erasers.jpg

Edited by Black Spot

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ISW_Kaputnik

• Black Spot

• BaronWulfraed

• EBUCKTHORN

Too many... Them, or the government sponsored clone (I'm pretty certain the cartons my father purloined from "supply" were from some make-work program for the handicapped). Sometimes it was faster to just grab a fresh one from the carton than to find a refill.

Eventually superseded by Pentel push-button pencils in the late 70s. The Pentels were available with much finer leads (my fattest is the 05, and I own a pencil using 03 leads).

Remember them? Heck, I still use mine! I love them. Found them all on Ebay for a song and a dance. And in many different colors. Truly a great pencil from a bygone era/chapter of my life, and the life of so many others.

"Knowledge may give weight, but accomplishments give lustre, and many more people see than weigh."

Lord Chesterfield

I got a Dur-O-Lite Mark Sense over the weekend and loved the lead so much I bought some from Legendary Lead.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

Had a yellow one in grade school ca.1950. I briefly visited the Scripto factory in Atlanta ca. 1965. I was working for a rubber products manufacturing company and we made two washer-like seals that went in each of their VuLighters. It was a brief courtesy sales call and I didn't get into the factory. If I'd had my current interest in writing instruments back then I surely would have asked for a tour!

I have several, and often use them. I have ones with the Scripto name, some of the "U.S. Government" Skilcraft ones which seem to be identical apart from the name, and even a couple of Wearever copies. I like the 1.18 mm leads for general writing, and have accumulated enough of a stash of these to last me probably the rest of my life.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

(I'm pretty certain the cartons my father purloined from "supply" were from some make-work program for the handicapped).

You're thinking of the Skilcraft ballpoint. Those are actually a pretty damn famously sturdy ballpoint that has been (and still is) made in a factory that almost exclusively employs the blind.

They're a famously well made disposable pen.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

You're thinking of the Skilcraft ballpoint. Those are actually a pretty damn famously sturdy ballpoint that has been (and still is) made in a factory that almost exclusively employs the blind.

They're a famously well made disposable pen.

No... they also did pencils (I just couldn't remember the name).

No... they also did pencils (I just couldn't remember the name).

Pursuing that thought, here are three Scripto style pencils. Scripto in the middle, Skilcraft to the right, and Wearever to the left. Considering the iffy reputation of Wearever fountain pens, this mechanical pencil is actually quite good.

49851827481_4b07e136f9_b.jpg

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin