Sleeper Pen

sharktm

Lately I have been thinking of buying a pen that can sneak in unde the radar. What I think Im getting at is that I am looking for a fountain pen that at first glance doesnt look like a fountain pen, that way I dont have to explain things to anyone. I understand the whole deal of introducing new people to the amazing world of fountain pens but for right now I want to use a nice pen and not be bothered ,or at least as bothered by people while Im at work. Anyone out there have any suggestions? Pens on the cheaper side would be appreciated the wallet is a little thin these days.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maurizio

• GClef

• cellmatrix

• sharktm

KAWECO FROSTED SPORT perhaps? Seen that thing for the first time just days ago :)

all välgång
Alexander W.–G.

The obvious choice is a Pilot Vanishing Point.

Or a hooded nib, like the Parker 51, Lamy 2000 or one of the numerous Chinese clones will be less obvious when you use it.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

I was thinking about getting a pen with a hooded nib, just not sure who really makes a reliable one. Aside from the lamy 2000.

The Pilot Fermo looks nice and unobtrusive and writes a nice lush line.

Sheen junkie, flex nib enthusiast, and all-around lover of fountain pens...

When I was working, I used Montblancs and Parker 51s. Nobody ever asked or wanted to inquire about them. I would not have made an explanation anyway. An under the radar fountain pen is ridiculous.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I was thinking about getting a pen with a hooded nib, just not sure who really makes a reliable one. Aside from the lamy 2000.

one of the most reliable pens of all time, the parker 51 is the hooded nib which all other manufacturers try to copy. No one really recognizes this as a fountain pen so you can go totally under the radar with it. You can buy a restored 51 here on classifieds from many people. I would say pen fisher is among the best parker 51 restorers.

If you want to buy a new pen, then I suggest a black matte vanishing point with a black coated gold nib. These also are never recognized as fountain pens. The black matte vanishing point is my daily writer.

...A hooded nib...

I thought the exact same thing. Parker 51, one of those Chinese knock offs, Jinhao Shark pen, Lamy 2k or a Vp/Decimo would probably be your best bet.

Some black Sheaffers are pretty good too - slim and inconspicuous when capped with an inlaid nib. My black sentinel snorkel when capped is very under the radar.

one of the most reliable pens of all time, the parker 51 is the hooded nib which all other manufacturers try to copy. No one really recognizes this as a fountain pen so you can go totally under the radar with it. You can buy a restored 51 here on classifieds from many people. I would say pen fisher is among the best parker 51 restorers.

If you want to buy a new pen, then I suggest a black matte vanishing point with a black coated gold nib. These also are never recognized as fountain pens. The black matte vanishing point is my daily writer.

I absolutely concur with both the Parker 51 AND the Lamy 2000....both make daily appearances as the pens I carry everywhere.

I have a few "51"s and a 2000, love all of them.

That said, none of them were cheap.

but my Wing Sing 601s were cheap! (in comparison) and all four of them are also great! Plus they have the added advantage of not being a 70 year old pen, so if something unfortunate happens to one; I'll get over it, AND I can replace it.

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

It is even more important to have a conventional pen to lend when you're carrying an "under the radar" pen with a hooded nib. People who borrow (as sometimes happens, even with permission denied) are all too likely to try to use a "51" or Hero 616 rotated way out of writing position.

Parker 45 as well as the aforementioned 51,21....

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/New%20Stuff/A48001F9-85F9-443F-A1BE-5AD0DA6D281E.jpg

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/New%20Stuff/07ED8EE0-85B2-4B1D-B7BA-D35AE4AB3211.jpg

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/New%20Stuff/E28B4035-7C30-48B8-A9D9-6DB3311D2278.jpg

I use a Italix Parsons Essential at meetings and conferences. Nice bold nib and screw cap. About as obvious a fp as can be.

To my dismay, no one ever comments or asks about it. I would love to talk about fps all day but can't get started.

Need to mix with a better class of people.

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/New%20Stuff/A48001F9-85F9-443F-A1BE-5AD0DA6D281E.jpg

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/New%20Stuff/07ED8EE0-85B2-4B1D-B7BA-D35AE4AB3211.jpg

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/New%20Stuff/E28B4035-7C30-48B8-A9D9-6DB3311D2278.jpg

Gclef - your handwriting is enviably attractive. Would you mind sharing which, if any, cursive system you used as your model so I can try to practice it and maybe, someday, write with a fraction of the beauty you exhibit? Edited by Maurizio

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

Exactly right. I use my matte black VP exclusively when I’m on trial. We never want the jury to think we’re an obnoxious, callous, or elite person with so much money we buy fancy expensive pens ( or Rolexes etc. - I don’t have one ). This would hurt my credibility as a trial attorney and I'd lose the argument before I open my mouth if the jury wrote my off as an elite jerk. So I don’t bring any of my nice pens to trial, only the VP. From the distance of the jury box it just looks like a generic black pen.

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

Hooded nib pen, no question.

Parker 51, hero 100, Wing sung 601, lamy 2000, if you wanted a BIT more flash, a waterman carene, pilot e95S.

Pilot vanishing point or decimo.

Cheapest option is without a doubt the wing sung 601. unbelievably high quality for under $20.

The hero 100 gets you a gold nib around $20. Slightly worse build quality than the 601, but if you plan on using lots of iron gall inks, it's the ticket.

Parker 45's are probably next cheapest at around $40

Then the big boys at $100-300.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Hooded nib pen, no question.

Parker 51, hero 100, Wing sung 601, lamy 2000, if you wanted a BIT more flash, a waterman carene, pilot e95S.

Pilot vanishing point or decimo.

Cheapest option is without a doubt the wing sung 601. unbelievably high quality for under $20.

The hero 100 gets you a gold nib around $20. Slightly worse build quality than the 601, but if you plan on using lots of iron gall inks, it's the ticket.

Parker 45's are probably next cheapest at around $40

Then the big boys at $100-300.

I was just about to post a recommendation for the Wing Sung 601 which is as smooth as either "51", but less than the "21". I realize that's sacrilege... lol!!

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

Lately I have been thinking of buying a pen that can sneak in unde the radar. What I think Im getting at is that I am looking for a fountain pen that at first glance doesnt look like a fountain pen, that way I dont have to explain things to anyone. I understand the whole deal of introducing new people to the amazing world of fountain pens but for right now I want to use a nice pen and not be bothered ,or at least as bothered by people while Im at work. Anyone out there have any suggestions? Pens on the cheaper side would be appreciated the wallet is a little thin these days.

One of the reasons i like my Lamy 2000/ Pilot Vanishing Point so much. It's just "another pen".

I don't know that either qualify as easy on the wallet but both are pens I've gotten years of use out of (and am still using of course). I feel like the Pilot is a little more solidly made, but the Lamy has fewer moving parts. I've needed repairs to my most heavily used Lamy over the years, but Lamy customer service is wonderful.

I think you'd be happy with either pen.