Converter Pens Drying Up

Marcwithac

Thank you SpecTP. I suspected this issue had been raised before. So, surface tension is the culprit. Guess Ill buy some springs.

You can also take a toothpick and dip the end of it in a drop of Dawn dishwashing soap and then dip that in a converter full of ink. It will make the nib write wetter, but it should also fix the issue...

This "vapor lock" issue is always a concern when I consider buying a new cartridge/converter pen...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Marcwithac

• praxim

• Intensity

• kenny

You can also take a toothpick and dip the end of it in a drop of Dawn dishwashing soap and then dip that in a converter full of ink. It will make the nib write wetter, but it should also fix the issue...

This "vapor lock" issue is always a concern when I consider buying a new cartridge/converter pen...

I'm used to converters being fully attached when I fill a pen. Do I take your advice to mean that I should pull the converter out, fill it separately, do the toothpick/Dawn thing, and then attach the fully loaded converter to the pen?

When your pen next dries up while writing, unscrew the barrel gently and check if the ink in the coverter is hanging out at the top of the converter, thus starving the feed. If so, then there's a surface tension issue, and an agitator/spring could help. This sometimes solves the issue. Other possible workarounds are: using a wetter ink, or adding some surfactant to the ink – but this does cramp one's style!

If, on the other hand, the ink in the converter moves around swimmingly, then two trouble spots are worth checking:

(1) Make sure the converter is pushed all the way in against the feed nipple. If not, an air bubble can get trapped in the narrow neck of the converter, preventing ink from reaching and recharging the feed.

(2) A similar air-bubble situation can arise if the feed has not been pushed all the way into its housing, for example after cleaning and reassembling – I learnt this from Pablo's (Fpnibs) YouTube

This flow-chart by TheDutchGuy may also be helpful; I posted some of the above points on that thread.

I'm used to converters being fully attached when I fill a pen. Do I take your advice to mean that I should pull the converter out, fill it separately, do the toothpick/Dawn thing, and then attach the fully loaded converter to the pen?

You can do it that way, yes. Or just fill the pen normally and then pull the converter after filling, dip the toothpick and reattach (that way you still get the ink running through your feed like normal). It will take a page or so (depends on how saturated your pen's feed is, and how much ink the feed holds) for you to see the wetter writing difference...

When your pen next dries up while writing, unscrew the barrel gently and check if the ink in the coverter is hanging out at the top of the converter, thus starving the feed. If so, then there's a surface tension issue, and an agitator/spring could help. This sometimes solves the issue. Other possible workarounds are: using a wetter ink, or adding some surfactant to the ink – but this does cramp one's style!

If, on the other hand, the ink in the converter moves around swimmingly, then two trouble spots are worth checking:

(1) Make sure the converter is pushed all the way in against the feed nipple. If not, an air bubble can get trapped in the narrow neck of the converter, preventing ink from reaching and recharging the feed.

(2) A similar air-bubble situation can arise if the feed has not been pushed all the way into its housing, for example after cleaning and reassembling – I learnt this from Pablo's (Fpnibs) YouTube

This flow-chart by TheDutchGuy may also be helpful; I posted some of the above points on that thread.

Good suggestions. It is also worth noting that sometimes this air bubble gets trapped no matter what you do and even when everything is pressed together as it should be. I had this very issue on 5 or 6 different Jowo nibs from pens made by two different manufacturers. I finally figured out why I couldn't write more than a page without my nib going from a wet medium to a dry extra fine! Sometimes turning the pen nib up and tapping the section smartly with a finger would shake the air loose and it would start writing again, but it got pretty annoying having to do that so often...I eventually sold them all in frustration and thus my love of piston fillers began. I've found Bock nibs don't have this flow issue as much and I have one pen now that runs a Jowo nib that doesn't have this issue, but it's been a bad enough journey that I actively avoid Jowo nibbed pens if at all possible.

To the OP: if nothing else works, you can hack the feed to enlarge the opening at the nipple end. The channel that gathers ink from the converter and funnels air into it can be opened up to allow that air bubble through more easily. This can be done with basic household tools, but it can be a bit of trial and error to get it right. Best to go slow and do your research ahead of time. I just use the Dawn soap method. It works so well that I'm actually now open to buying Jowo nibbed pens...

Good suggestions. It is also worth noting that sometimes this air bubble gets trapped no matter what you do and even when everything is pressed together as it should be.

This is true!

Good luck.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 7 months later...

I have read this thread with interest since I had the same 'drying up' issue with a brand-new Kaco Master. Even after I flushed it out with soapy water & clean water. Just in case there was anything inside from the assembly process. The converter has no agitator, whether a spring or a ball.

I looked at a Schmidt K5 & that has no agitator.

BTW: What's the difference dimensionally between the K5 & K2? It looks like the nipple end is not just the plain clear plastic of the converter's body in the K5. Is that all?

Edited by Dip n Scratch

This is very interesting as I've had the same trouble with the converter filled pens. I noticed that my Montblanc converters actually come with the little spring inside but my Platinum ones do not. Which size/weight spring did you guys use from the link provided? Does anyone know if they will fit in a Platinum converter? Does the converter need to be dissembled to install it? Or will it fit through the nipple end?

Thanks!

I have read this thread with interest since I had the same 'drying up' issue with a brand-new Kaco Master. Even after I flushed it out with soapy water & clean water. Just in case there was anything inside from the assembly process. The converter has no agitator, whether a spring or a ball.

I looked at a Schmidt K5 & that has no agitator.

BTW: What's the difference dimensionally between the K5 & K2? It looks like the nipple end is not just the plain clear plastic of the converter's body in the K5. Is that all?

It looks like the K2 has a step down to the nipple, whilst the K5 has a collar and then the nipple.

Whilst they both have the nipple for international standard cartridges, it does not mean they will fit all pens.

Both the F-C Loom and Waterman Hemisphere take international standard, but do not take the same converter because of the design of the collars.

Does the converter need to be dissembled to install it? Or will it fit through the nipple end?

If the agitator of your choice can fit through the mouth of the converter, then it will possibly slide (or get pushed) out when you're removing the converter and/or flushing it on its own, even when you aren't intending for it to happen or positively don't want it to happen, so I wouldn't recommend it.

There's absolutely nothing to disassembling Platinum and Sailor converters. (Not so Pilot converters.) I do it every time I change inks in a Platinum or Sailor pen.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

In my experience the Pilot Con70 is the worst converter in regard to this issue. I’m always having to shake the bloody thing. Since it’s essentially a vacuum filler it’s not as easy to advance the ink.

NM