Montegrappa Or Montblanc?

ak47

Hi.i am in trouble. I have seen montegrappa ammiraglio butterfly and montblanc hadrian... but i can not choice

Help me PLEASE. Write me about these beautiful pens.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ak47

• sirgilbert357

• Honeybadgers

• Freddy

Top Posters In This Topic

When in doubt, buy both.

Or write with each and see which one you prefer -- unless you don't plan to actually use it. If it's just a show piece and all you'll do is look at it, just get whichever you like the looks of more.

That's all I've got to offer I'm afraid.

What will the pen be used for?

For my personal use, for writing and visual pleasure, not to show off to other people, I would buy the Montegrappa.

To show my status so that everyone around me understands the message, I would buy Montblanc.

Both are valid purposes though.

Tadeo

I have three montegrappa 18k nibs and they were all absolute trash for what the pens cost.

skippy, dry, horribly unpleasant.

And the pens themselves just had bad design flaws too and felt cheap for costing $700 each.

I don't get the love for montegrappa. I am 100% off the bandwagon with them and don't plan on ever buying another.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I have three montegrappa 18k nibs and they were all absolute trash for what the pens cost.

skippy, dry, horribly unpleasant.

And the pens themselves just had bad design flaws too and felt cheap for costing $700 each.

I don't get the love for montegrappa. I am 100% off the bandwagon with them and don't plan on ever buying another.

I've never been attracted to them, but now I'm curious. I'll have to look for a few at the upcoming pen show. The nibs can't all be that bad though or they wouldn't sell any pens.

Hi.i am in trouble. I have seen montegrappa ammiraglio butterfly and montblanc hadrian... but i can not choice

Help me PLEASE. Write me about these beautiful pens.

ak....For your consideration..both will make good everyday writers....Let the aesthetics

guide you...or failing that go try 'em out and then decide yourself which work for you.....

Hoping this was in some way helpful................

Still your friend and mine..

Fred

keep it greasy so it goes down easy..................................

I've never been attracted to them, but now I'm curious. I'll have to look for a few at the upcoming pen show. The nibs can't all be that bad though or they wouldn't sell any pens.

*cough*Visconti*cough*

People will buy anything if you convince them it's good.

Montegrappa nibs are well known for being VERY dry. I also just found the materials, fit and finish to be extremely lacking when compared to other premium pens.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I've never tried a Montegrappa so I can't speak to those, but my MBs are all very good writers. The Hadrian doesn't appeal to me but if you like that model you should be pleased with the pen.

I also sit in my office all day so it's rare, if ever, that someone sees one of these pens. I own MB pens because I like them and they are great writers and not for any status symbol.

Thanks

ak...My pleasure...

Fred

we would play it again 'n again 'n again

'cause it sounded good to me ONE MORE TIME!

Edited by Freddy

I dont own either but I have one of the sisters to the Butterfly and I've test written the Hadrian. The Otto editions nibs feel a little bit stiffer than the other Extra types. They shouldn't in theory but for some reason they do to me. The barrel and cap facets are very crisp and tactile, the big cap band is very nice, the piston/captive converter doesn't hold a great deal. Nibs are extremely smooth, glassy and wet (can take a couple of ink cycles before they really get going, no idea why) and post securely managing to keep a good balance. It's a big pen but still fine posted but will depend on the size of your hand. The finish on the Butterfly is quite restrained.

The Hadrian is a very cool pen, nice design but the 'Starbucks' Medusa put me off a bit. I think they could have done a much better job on that. You dont need to post it, its heavy but not as heavy as I anticipated. Its quite cold, due to the barrel material and quite a dark, moody looking pen. The nib has a bit of softness to it.

Both are very unique in various ways, the Hadrian possibly edging ahead on that front.

That's about all I can say I think, but you probably knew all that already and I probably havent helped you in your decision. Re-mortgage the house and buy both.

Edited by Uncial

*cough*Visconti*cough*

People will buy anything if you convince them it's good.

Montegrappa nibs are well known for being VERY dry. I also just found the materials, fit and finish to be extremely lacking when compared to other premium pens.

LOL. You're the one who says the HS Bronze is really worth it -- even WITH a bum nib!! So you mock those that have been duped by the Montegrappa marketing engine, yet you own three of them? LOL, I'm a bit confused here, my man...

Have you considered getting your Montegrappas to a nibmeister? I'm sure the nibs could be tuned to write to your preferences...there might be other glaring design flaws, but if you're tolerant of the shortcomings of the HS Bronze, then surely you'd cut your Montegrappas some slack if they wrote like you prefer?

LOL. You're the one who says the HS Bronze is really worth it -- even WITH a bum nib!! So you mock those that have been duped by the Montegrappa marketing engine, yet you own three of them? LOL, I'm a bit confused here, my man...

Have you considered getting your Montegrappas to a nibmeister? I'm sure the nibs could be tuned to write to your preferences...there might be other glaring design flaws, but if you're tolerant of the shortcomings of the HS Bronze, then surely you'd cut your Montegrappas some slack if they wrote like you prefer?

I know my hypocrisy is definitely not absent, but the HS dreamtouch is worth tuning because the rest of the pen is so spectacular. Apart from the nib tuning, I can't find a single thing to complain about with my HS bronze.

Holding my HS against my nerouno duetto's, there's no contest as to which one feels like a premium product.

I have sent two of mine to MG for nib exchanges, and ground the third already to write properly. They write well now. But the bodies do NOT feel like $700 pens. The cap thread engagement is lousy, the fit and finish is not great, and the cap facets do not inherently line up with the barrel facets. basic stuff that even $30 penBBS models like the 380 easily manage.

Montegrappa's customer service is also far worse than any other maker I've dealt with. They charge you a flat $35 plus shipping just to LOOK at the pen, and don't even refund it if they do nothing.

I got all 3 nerouno's for a ludicrous discount at $160 each, they MSRP for over 700. I like they way they look, but they do NOT feel like $700 pens. They feel like $80-100 pens at most. I don't HATE them for what I paid, but if I paid anything near MSRP or what a 146 cost, I'd have serious buyer's remorse.

Edited by Honeybadgers