Crack Developed In 3776 Section

EDR1633

Two small cracks by the nib on a Nice Pur owned for about a year, but sparingly used. About 1mm in length. They go all the way through to the nib housing.

Has anyone on the forum seen this before with their Platinum 3776? My Bourgogne and Chartres Blue don't show this.

Just looking to see if this is common or not.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Honeybadgers

• ahtzib

• TSherbs

• A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Yup, had the exact same problem with the exact same pen. I was dismayed to find that the US dealer where I purchased it (nibs.com), the US importer, and Platinum Japan were all unwilling to stand behind the pen and replace the section because it was past the one year warranty. I purchased a new section at what I consider a pretty high price from the importer and it was fine for quite some time. I had high hopes because it seemed to be manufactured slightly better than the original. But it too has now developed small cracks. This is my only Platinum pen and the whole experience has left a bad impression of the brand with me.

Yup, had the exact same problem with the exact same pen. I was dismayed to find that the US dealer where I purchased it (nibs.com), the US importer, and Platinum Japan were all unwilling to stand behind the pen and replace the section because it was past the one year warranty. I purchased a new section at what I consider a pretty high price from the importer and it was fine for quite some time. I had high hopes because it seemed to be manufactured slightly better than the original. But it too has now developed small cracks. This is my only Platinum pen and the whole experience has left a bad impression of the brand with me.

That's frustrating, no doubt. I try not to judge an entire brand based off one pen that appears to have a flaw in the resin formula. Platinum has a huge selection of pens that have excellent reputations for quality...maybe try a different model.

Should I take a magnifier to mine? I have an older 3776 and a newer Century model -- I will state that the section of the Century does show fine mold lines, indicating that it is a cast plastic piece; for all I know the older model was high labor lathe turned [or even CNC turned].

For what it's worth and due to the possible coincidence of two threads about this, I have examined my two 3776's. The newer one, a Chartres Blue only a few months old, has a visible seam and one hairline crack in the section that goes about halfway up from the barrel towards the nib. No ink escaping yet. Should I refer this to Platinum for replacement of the section? I doubt if I can find a receipt (I bought it at the Maido store here in San Francisco).

The other is older, apparently called a PTB Gathered (it has ribs built into the barrel, theoretically to keep the inside cooler) and it shows no visible seam and no cracks. This one is 25-30 years old, and sat in a drawer for most of those years.

• 7 months later...

I stick to the Pot VP. I dont like that plastic and resin fountain pens crack.

Two small cracks by the nib on a Nice Pur owned for about a year, but sparingly used. About 1mm in length. They go all the way through to the nib housing.

Has anyone on the forum seen this before with their Platinum 3776? My Bourgogne and Chartres Blue don't show this.

Just looking to see if this is common or not.

One of mine (a chartres blue) did this after about a year and a bit of regular use, but it was never dropped or banged on anything. It started seeping ink through and tiny little beads would get on my fingers when I uncapped it, took like a week to figure out what was going on. little hairline crack from the collar about 1/4 of the way down the section, super hard to see but all the way through.

Since mine was only about a year old, bryce at luxury goods (the US platinum distributor) took care of me at no charge. If you're in the US, I suggest reaching out to them.

My four other 3776's (1x blue, 2x red, 1 black) are all about the same age or older and have no problems.

Here's what mine looked like

fpn_1586544990__win_20190904_14_31_45_pr

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Once I got some money in the bank again, I was gonna check out the 3776. Now I'm not. This is too big a risk for my top end expenditure on a pen, and to afford it I would have to buy from Japan.

Once I got some money in the bank again, I was gonna check out the 3776. Now I'm not. This is too big a risk for my top end expenditure on a pen, and to afford it I would have to buy from Japan.

I wouldn't worry about it.

No pen on earth is immune to manufacturing defects. For every bad 3776 there are likely ten thousand fine ones.

And not to encourage it, but luxury brands did not ask me for a receipt when I had my (US purchased) UEF serviced.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

What nib are you looking for? I might be willing to let one of mine go.

What nib are you looking for? I might be willing to let one of mine go.

Very kind! But I have sworn off pen purchases until it's clear that I have a job next year. That is not presently clear. I am near retirement. Every penny is looking precious.

Very kind! But I have sworn off pen purchases until it's clear that I have a job next year. That is not presently clear. I am near retirement. Every penny is looking precious.

No worries, mine aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Question still stands - which nib you looking for? I might be willing to let my EF, B or C go.

• 4 months later...

I was more than a little discouraged to come across this thread.

I got my 3776 Oshino in 2019. I've had issues with hairline cracks in the barrel, and recently discovered that my section was cracked as well. Not sure if the tolerances are just too tight for the barrel components or if Platinum is using bad plastic. FWIW, my section is not (yet) leaking.

The barrel cracks have all started at the top, where the final is inserted into the end, and have extended about an inch or so towards the section. (I've had a couple replacements already.) Same with the section: the crack starts where the thread unit was inserted and extends down towards (but not all the way to) the nib. It is exceptionally hard to photograph these hairlines in the clear resin, but it's easy enough to see with low 10x magnification that the cracks go all the way through the material; they're not just "bad scratches."

The Oshino has been a giant disappointment, to say the least! I wish I could focus on the nib, which is actually quite nice, but it's overshadowed by these apparent structural issues.