3776 Section Starting To Crack And Weep Ink - Anyone Else Seen This?

Honeybadgers

That sounds good! :)So maybe I'll try 3776 again, with SF - I just have to check this nib! :)

For now I'm patiently waiting for my Laurel Green to come back

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Honeybadgers

• sansenri

• Nikaa

• DeanAndreoli

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have 4 Platinum 3776's (Shungyo LE, Black, Chartes Blue and Nice Pur) .  None have cracks.

OTOH, the Nice Pur had a fill of ink that completely dried out within 6-9 months in a drawer without use.  This doesn't occur with my Shungyo which has been inked with Diamine Oxblood since whenever.  I use it only on occasion as well.

I would personally not be happy keeping any of my pens in an environment that swings between 45 and 90 degrees.  Definitely not leave in a car.  Marked temp extremes will lead to near 100% failures.  However, I don't think there is a distinct cutoff and failures will likely occur even within a range that's not too extreme.  I would expect the it's the variation, rather than the absolute temps that is important.  For instance, a pen in the Tropics with temps 24-33C would be fine.  Same for a pen in temps of 10-25.  However, this may not be the case for a pen exposed from 7-33C (45-90F), especially on a regular basis.

5 hours ago, Nikaa said:

That sounds good! :)So maybe I'll try 3776 again, with SF - I just have to check this nib! :)

For now I'm patiently waiting for my Laurel Green to come back

I really like my 3776 SF. I do wish it was an SEF instead, but it's a great pen. I have bought them for a lot of friends and family, and the SF is my go-to. Only problem I find they can have is sometimes they're VERY tight and don't flow properly until you pull the nib, place it on a hard flat surface, and press gently but firmly on the breather hole a couple times. 

for SF nibs, I think I'd say pilot makes the best ones. A custom 74 or 92 is in the same price range. Not QUITE as pretty, slightly smaller/less dramatic nib, but take the con-70 converter, are softer and more consistent.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• 1 year later...

I have a White 3776 with UEF nib. barely used it at all. just picked it up today, and it has a crack in the section on the nib side. about 3cm long. 💔

16618190818483655435618560804013.jpg

12 hours ago, DeanAndreoli said:

I have a White 3776 with UEF nib. barely used it at all. just picked it up today, and it has a crack in the section on the nib side. about 3cm long. 💔

16618190818483655435618560804013.jpg

oh sorry

that stinks

Plastic under stress can sometimes develop cracks.  Variances in the injection molding process, the batch of material used etc will result in certain batches having weak points or uneven stress in the plastic molecular structure.  Tiny variations in section internal diameter and the nib unit housing will cause variations on the pressure exerted on the section.  When these factors combine you will occasionally get a lemon.  They are not easy to spot in QC process as plastic under stress will crack spontaneously, and before it does so it will not show any signs, definitely cannot be identified in visual inspections.