Waterman 22 Tapered Cap Eyedropper

shalitha33

Sorry about not properly resizing the images :(. Following are 3 of the waterman 22 pens and there case. Case has seen better days with the side connection only held in place by a tape (lock is a push to open). Although i do believe this case does match the pens. By looking at old catalogs , address printed on the box seems to be from around 1902ish. (correct me if i am wrong).  

fpn_1565058123__img_2169.jpg

2 of the pens are in fairly good shape.Although not exactly collector grade pens they are good enough to write with :). one of the 1903 imprint pens is slightly bent and mostly a parts pen. Nibs are New York number 2 nibs.

fpn_1565060565__img_2168.jpg

By looking at the imprints the two recent pens have the usual 1903 date with the globe logo covering the word "IDEAL".

WATERMAN'S IDEAL FOUNTAIN.PEN.N.Y.

PAT'D MAY 23. 1899 & AUG.4.1903.U.S.A 

Older pen doesn't have the globe logo and has the imprint written as 

WATERMAN'S IDEAL FOUNTAIN PEN N.Y.

PAT'D FEB.12 & NOV.4.1884

This is obviously not the earliest or a rare imprint. but its still not the usual one. All of them have some what faded rubber and a rather faded imprints, but its all readable. Early pen has the thin feed.

fpn_1565059625__img_2172.jpg

The chasing pattern is also different between the two versions. Earlier pen has a rather simple wave compared to the usual one that is seen on the 2 1093 imprint ( same as whats found on waterman 12,14, etc).

fpn_1565059672__img_2174.jpg

I have only written with one of them so far (1903 imprint). It writes with a fairly fine line on the proper side and extra fine when writing upside down. it does flex but only a very little. Sadly i only have one tapered cap and that one is not in any shape to be used.  Will need to get a set made by a pensmith at some point in time before i can use them :(.

Edited by shalitha33

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shalitha33

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The cheaper alternative, Remex pen by Waterman. Its made to almost the same standard but has a very small and thin nib compared to the Waterman 22. I am assuming this is a number 1 nib. Nib is long and very very thin. Nib does flex a bit.I am assuming this one is also from the same period as the older 22 and is most likely a straight cap ? Unfortunately i don't have the cap :(. Barrel colour is not faded on this one.

fpn_1565062245__img_2175.jpg