New Penbbs Model 480

drathbun

I received my PenBBS 480 "Amber is a Cat" last week. I was traveling when I ordered it and got this one for my wife and another for a friend before they sold out. Now that I have it in my hands and have written with it for a week, I'm really jealous. The nib is THE BEST I've ever written with. It rivals my 308 "Amber is a Cat" which is my EDC. I'm really liking the refinements of this new model. You really can't tell from photographs how the differences between the 308 and the 480 affect your experience. There are the obvious differences with the 480 having the 456 style clip and slimmer cap band and a pointier torpedo shape but there are subtle differences as well. The 480 has a concave section that ends in a lip rather than a sloping cylinder to a flare like the 308. The 480 has a chrome ring between the section and the body and an almost imperceptible step at the bottom of the threads on the body that allows the cap-end to nestle into the body when capped. This makes the cap to body transition very sleek and elegant in comparison with the 308. Also the 480 posts really well! I don't tend to post my pens but this one just feels natural posted and very well balanced (hence the Sheaffer Balance hommage I suppose).

I like this pen so much that I ordered one for myself in "Galaxy". I saw that ETSY went down to one left and I had to snag it!

il_fullxfull.1956948326_lium.jpg

Here is my comparison of my 308 and the 480:

"There are thousands of thoughts lying within a man that he does not know 'till he takes up the pen and writes."

- William Thackeray

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• drathbun

• penzel_washinkton

• taike

• JollyCynic

I did an unboxing and review of my new PenBBS 480 in Galaxy blue. This one is even smoother (if that is possible) than my wife's 480 Amber is a Cat AND my 308 Amber is a Cat. I have been writing with it since the moment I got it and unboxed it and it just doesn't get any better than this.

This is the wettest feed I've had from PenBBS, the others all being on the dry side. I did the ChrisRap, spark-plug gapping tool treatment with my 456, 308 Amber and 308 Cedar and it improved each of them, but none is as wet and smooth right out of the box as this 480 Galaxy. The resin is astonishing and I love the sleek new look and feel of the new model 480. I have eyedroppered the pen and it take 4ml of ink! The clip is marvelous as it is the same clip from my 456 which is very springy and functional. The pen posts beautifully and it well balanced in the hand either unposted or posted. The new section is very comfortable and I can write for hours without strain. This colour was on the expensive side being $29.99 + $6.00 shipping US. But other finishes are available for $17.99 + $6.00 shipping from the PenBBS shop on Etsy. This is an astounding value IMO for the superb writing experience. I never thought I'd prefer a cigar-shaped fountain pen over the duofold style fountain pen, but there it is.

"There are thousands of thoughts lying within a man that he does not know 'till he takes up the pen and writes."

- William Thackeray

uX4EGtI.jpg?1

- William Thackeray

• 1 month later...

My new 480 "Amber is a Cat"

KWRf2rX.jpg

In Praise of the PenBBS 480 (my latest video):

- William Thackeray

Always wanted an Amber is a Cat pattern but not sure for which model.

For office environment, the Galaxy and the Starry Night would always be my preference though.