New Penbbs Model 480

drathbun

I've just ordered the new PenBBS model 480 in "Amber is a Cat". There are four color options including the limited edition "Amber is a Cat".

From what I can see there is only one difference from the 308 and that is the clip.

PenBBS 408 on Etsy

il_794xN.2004495323_5pj8.jpg

"There are thousands of thoughts lying within a man that he does not know 'till he takes up the pen and writes."

- William Thackeray

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• drathbun

• penzel_washinkton

• taike

• JollyCynic

Is this a cartridge/converter filler? For the uninitiated, it's pretty hard to tell from the Etsy site how these PenBBS things fill. It'd be nice if she'd specify that in the item descriptions. Or, at least provide a photo with the barrel off.

Happiness is an Indian ED!

Major,

Like the 308, the 480 uses a cartridge-converter.

Doug,

Ends on the 480 are pointier than the 308, slightly more torpedo-like. The cap band is stepped away slightly from the lip of the cap, and the cap is one piece because of a different clip design.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

They've sold out of a few colours on Etsy. There will be a few more on eBay from resellers in the coming days. Here's the full list of colours so far:

480-52SF Galaxy

480-53SF Amber Is a Cat

480-63SF Frostfire

480-68SF Sunset

480-70SF Tiny Happiness/Koi

480-81SF Moon River

480-102SF Hidden Path

480-107SF Vurdure (new colour, possibly the wrong colour code, as this is already used for one of the metal 323 colours)

There's also a pink and white mottled one that Beini's shown off on her Instagram that hasn't been sold in production yet.

Major,

Like the 308, the 480 uses a cartridge-converter.

Doug,

Ends on the 480 are pointier than the 308, slightly more torpedo-like. The cap band is stepped away slightly from the lip of the cap, and the cap is one piece because of a different clip design.

Thanks for this Bob! It looked a little pointier than the 308. I'm excited to compare it with the 308. I'm also glad it has that cool paw-print nib. My 308 is the best writing nib I own and that includes my Visconti. We'll see how the 480s nib compares.

"There are thousands of thoughts lying within a man that he does not know 'till he takes up the pen and writes."

- William Thackeray

Still torn between getting the Amber is a Cat or the Galaxy finish.

Would this model (similar to 349) have problems fitting a Jowo #6 nib like the 308?

The 308 can be eye-droppered. Can this be down with the 480?

Yes, this is actually the point of the 480. The model 349 that it's replacing had metal threads in the section, and a major complaint of it was that it couldn't be eye-dropper filled. Long's changed it to use machined acrylic threads, and now just has a metal ring where the threads used to be so that it looks the same, but should hopefully come with the O-ring for eye-dropper filling out of the box.

I'll keep an eye out for anything definitive about nib clearance. It apparently looked positive on the 349, but I never heard anybody actually try it.

Penbbs are very interesting pens..nevertheless...they have the same nib design and size...a boring decision... ;) :(

Penbbs are very interesting pens..nevertheless...they have the same nib design and size...a boring decision... ;) :(

Though they most commonly come with the size 6 F mini-fude nib, they actually have quite a few other nibs. In size 6, they have rounded/traditional versions of EF, F, and M. (There was even a batch of B nibs made, but they weren't put into general production.) They also have standard (though thin) size 5 in mini-fude and traditional EF on the 322, and a Pilot-style F and EF on the 494.

It's not the selection you'd find at Italix, but it's not one design and size, anymore, and quite an array for a Chinese manufacturer.

Edited by JollyCynic

[snip]

480-107SF Vurdure (new colour, possibly the wrong colour code, as this is already used for one of the metal 323 colours)

[snip]

The new one is 107 小葱, the one of the right, which translates for me as shallot. Taobao has some discounts right now so I picked up both this one and a sunset for less than I expected.

Fingers crossed that there's room in the cap to swap nibs. I'm interested in fitting a moonman nib in one or both.

O1CN01q5zu831xBzkLxqChH_!!81296406.jpg

the 308 is a cigar, this is a torpedo. Cap band and clip are different too.

I'd love to see one of these cigar/torpedo models as a piston filler.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• 2 weeks later...

[snip]

Fingers crossed that there's room in the cap to swap nibs. I'm interested in fitting a moonman nib in one or both.

PenBBS_480_04-10_sm.jpg

Went though a nib-swapping exercise with the Sunset and the Verdure. Long story short, the Verdure worked great. The Sunset did not.

My conclusion was that the cap on my Sunset was not well manufactured.

Otherwise, the 480 is a darn nice pen. Size-wise, it's super close to the 308.I dig that it's eyedropperable.

There was some weirdness trying a Moonman #6 nib - but subsequently I did get one to go on a 308 very happily by fitting the nib deeper on the feed.

They look nice, thanks for posting.

These seem to be exactly the same length and weight of the Moonman M100, but with a no. 6 nib. Even the clip is attached the same way, although the shape of the clip is different, and the M100 does not have a cap band.

Can anyone who has both confirm this? Are the sections the same diameter?

Reason I'm asking is I was thinking of getting another M100 in another finish... until I read this thread.

They look nice, thanks for posting.

These seem to be exactly the same length and weight of the Moonman M100, but with a no. 6 nib. Even the clip is attached the same way, although the shape of the clip is different, and the M100 does not have a cap band.

Can anyone who has both confirm this? Are the sections the same diameter?

Reason I'm asking is I was thinking of getting another M100 in another finish... until I read this thread.

The Moonman 100 feels smaller. The numbers bear that out, except for barrel diameter and uncapped weight. The PenBBS 480 also posts more positively than the M100.

I can't get the table to format correctly. You can find it here, at the bottom of the page.

PenBBS_480_16_sm.jpg

Edited by EDC

The Moonman 100 feels smaller. The numbers bear that out, except for barrel diameter and uncapped weight. The PenBBS 480 also posts more positively than the M100.

I can't get the table to format correctly. You can find it here, at the bottom of the page.

PenBBS_480_16_sm.jpg

Thank you very much for this. Very helpful information and photo.

I just might be in the market for a 480.

I'd love to see one of these cigar/torpedo models as a piston filler.

Actually that is something that might be more appealing right now.

I feel that PenBBS have a "sin" (or unfinished business) with piston filler mechanism since their 309 models has an issue with the piston often sticking to the barrel.

Actually that is something that might be more appealing right now.

I feel that PenBBS have a "sin" (or unfinished business) with piston filler mechanism since their 309 models has an issue with the piston often sticking to the barrel.

No kidding. They can make perfect vac fillers and that syringe filler (which are loads more complex) but the piston in the 309 is just a turd. the 309 is the only model I actually recommend people NOT buy. Every other pen the company makes is superb.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

No kidding. They can make perfect vac fillers and that syringe filler (which are loads more complex) but the piston in the 309 is just a turd. the 309 is the only model I actually recommend people NOT buy. Every other pen the company makes is superb.

Yup, their bulk fillers and vac filler mechanism is at good to excellent quality IMO.

The fact that vacuum fillers are saturating the lower end market right now makes me miss the piston fillers more.