Montblanc Is Revamping Their Standard Ink Line!

Pennenut

flickr is down for updates ... but maybe this works also:

fpn_1558631986__p1450723_2.jpg

BUT ... camera is not able to replicate the correct colors! All colors lost some of their vibrant cyan tones.

Also Noodler's Blue Black looks much more similar to Montblanc Petrol Blue in real life. Might need to try the scanner.

Maybe this helps nevertheless!

Cheers Michael

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NeverTapOut

• Tom Kellie

• Michael R.

• 1nkulus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mulrich...

I am not going to argue with you...

My last line of my post says..."I like their products and I give them my money...I'm not complaining...it is what it is and I enjoy it."

​As you know since you are a "business professor and are biased"...if your not moving forward in business your moving backwards.

I don't begrudge them at all. I think you need to reread my post. I don't tell people what I did for a living...however it afforded me the luxury to retire full-time at age 40...that was 10 years ago...I don't have book smarts like you...I graduated with a 2.01 GPA...however I do have business acumen. I still attend my Original MasterMind Group...which actually met today for lunch at Fleming's. We talked about IQ versus EQ in the workplace and business. Unfortunately, I will never have a high IQ like you...however I do have a high EQ...

Much Respect,

David

Sorry, my post came off more confrontational than I intended.

And just because I'm a professor doesn't mean I have a high IQ or great grades in college :) – I'm okay in both not nothing spectacular. There are lots of really smart academics but I was not one of them–I just had to work a ton more hours to keep up with the smart folks (I think the main reason I got into my Phd program was there were few applicants the year I applied). In fact, getting a PhD is almost a better indicator of lack of IQ because it's a ton of work for not much reward.

Anyways, sorry to pull the thread off on a silly tangent, back to the ink!

Let's be honest - they change their line of ink so that we'll buy more.

In fact, getting a PhD is almost a better indicator of lack of IQ because it's a ton of work for not much reward.

Ha! We used to say the same in my Econ grad program. That and if ever sold a textbook back to the bookstore for what they offered you should not be given an Econ degree. 😂

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Many ink makers are discovering that ink color variety is where many of today's younger customers are focusing their purchasing. If you go over to Reddit (which tends to have much younger users than many other fountain pen social media), you'll see that many prefer pens under $30 and a huge number of inks.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

Sorry, my post came off more confrontational than I intended.

And just because I'm a professor doesn't mean I have a high IQ or great grades in college :) – I'm okay in both not nothing spectacular. There are lots of really smart academics but I was not one of them–I just had to work a ton more hours to keep up with the smart folks (I think the main reason I got into my Phd program was there were few applicants the year I applied). In fact, getting a PhD is almost a better indicator of lack of IQ because it's a ton of work for not much reward.

Anyways, sorry to pull the thread off on a silly tangent, back to the ink!

I apologize as well...sensitive area for me...plus I am a HS dropout...no GED...I'm a total EQ that kept on grinding it out.

​Plus as I said we just talked about that in my MasterMind group earlier that day...I log on...read your post...we said the same thing...it hit a nerve...Again I apologize...

David

Edited by Jesus1

flickr is down for updates ... but maybe this works also:

fpn_1558631986__p1450723_2.jpg

BUT ... camera is not able to replicate the correct colors! All colors lost some of their vibrant cyan tones.

Also Noodler's Blue Black looks much more similar to Montblanc Petrol Blue in real life. Might need to try the scanner.

Maybe this helps nevertheless!

Cheers Michael

Thanks for this. Clearly my hopes that Petrol Blue would be the substitute for Tolstoy have come to naught.

KWZI Walk over Vistula, OTOH.... Not an exact match, but still way closer to my eye to Tolstoy than Petrol Blue is.

Thanks for posting the comparison swabs.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Many ink makers are discovering that ink color variety is where many of today's younger customers are focusing their purchasing. If you go over to Reddit (which tends to have much younger users than many other fountain pen social media), you'll see that many prefer pens under $30 and a huge number of inks.

I hear you and as a redditor myself I agree that this is the trend. What surprises me with this revamp is not the addition of new colors or even the increase in yearly LEs, but the complete change of mood. This color scheme is something I would be expecting from Lamy rather than Montblanc (not bashing Lamy, in fact I really like the brand; they just have a different philosophy and approach). It almost feels like Montblanc is kind of changing their target group, which feels weird. I would think that one can't be luxurious / borderline posh (allow me the word) AND young / fun / fresh at the same time. That's just my feelings, though.

PS. All that said, I would be thrilled if Montblanc - in the concept of this change of target group - would reintroduce the Generation/221/220/225 as an introductory pen to their brand.

Edited by inotrym

I , for one, am very happy with the colors! I love having pink, orange, more blues, maintaining green and purple... Colors, are to be enjoyed!

I used to use iroshizuku ink and while it's gorgeous and flows well, in my experience the ink is high on it's tendency to bleed and feather, whereas montblanc is not. Again, I welcome the colors and the change.

My bad, I didn't express myself correctly (language barrier :P). By color scheme I meant the clean combination of white with a strip of color for the labels and boxes, not the choice of colors that are part of their new standard line.

What I am trying to say is that I picture the old bottles sitting on a shelf in a room like this, whereas the new line would fit a setup like this.

47928510536_932f24b7a1_k.jpgP1450745 (1) by pensninks, auf Flickr

@inkstainedruth KWZI Walk over Vistula is a much more saturated ink; the images takes away some of the intensity and bright cyan tones.

Montblanc Blue Hour is less saturated and appears more washed out/lighter compared to Petrol Blue. Also Blue Hour writes much more blue and later develop green-petrol tones during writing.

Cheers

Michael

Edited by Michael R.

This is what happens when I come to love the colors while refuting the change.

No offense to anyone but petrol blue is not my thing.

On the bright side, pumped for the pink and mandarin orange.

Steve

post-143567-0-74340100-1558880070_thumb.jpeg

Edited by desidude02

I got a bottle earlier this week. I like it. First inking for my new 149...

47079052004_ef63999f23_z.jpg

Very nice. Thanks for sharing this photo of the ink sample. Edited by meiers

• 2 weeks later...

Is Manganese Orange anywhere close to Lucky Orange? I saw a post on the TWSBI Eco Sunset Orange, and the ink used was MB Lucky Orange.

Manganese Orange looks so cool in the bottle in photos. Im glad Irish Green and Lavendar Purple are still there. :-( for Corn Poppy Red. But I have my bottle plus Sheaffer skrip red, so thats enough red ink for now. Maybe just maybe Id get Irish Green and Lavender Purple. Perhaps Santa would bring one to me ;-)

Edited to add Burgundy is not truly represented in my ink stash. How do those who own it like it?

Edited by Misfit
Posted Image

This is what happens when I come to love the colors while refuting the change.

No offense to anyone but petrol blue is not my thing.

On the bright side, pumped for the pink and mandarin orange.

Steve

Wow, so many bottles! Wow!

Posted Image

Is Manganese Orange anywhere close to Lucky Orange? I saw a post on the TWSBI Eco Sunset Orange, and the ink used was MB Lucky Orange.

Manganese Orange looks so cool in the bottle in photos. Im glad Irish Green and Lavendar Purple are still there. :-( for Corn Poppy Red. But I have my bottle plus Sheaffer skrip red, so thats enough red ink for now. Maybe just maybe Id get Irish Green and Lavender Purple. Perhaps Santa would bring one to me ;-)

Edited to add Burgundy is not truly represented in my ink stash. How do those who own it like it?

It's a little different. The Manganese Orange isn't quite as luminous as Lucky Orange. It is still very bright and has a little shading. I like it and unusually for an orange ink, it feels very well lubricated and there's no sign of the usual ink crud which so often plagues inks of this colour.

253656-ecom-retina-01.png.adapt.490.490.

Definitely getting a MB Gandhi vibe from this packaging! Of course, I don't know what the actual ink will look like on paper, but the orange bottle and white label reminded of the infamous ink.

I prefer Lucky Orange over this color. LO seems to be more saturated and a bit darker.

I have just hoarded/ordered Corn Poppy Red, Midnight Blue, Irish Green, Lavender Purple, Lucky Orange, Psychedelic Purple, UNICEF blue and Sand of the desert brown. Now I'm satisfied. Sort of.

Edited by Skv