Pilot Custom Urushi

Wandering Man

I went to Dromgoole's last month to buy a Mont Blanc 149, just because I felt I needed one for my collection. I came home instead with a Pilot Custom Urushi:

fpn_1553435408__2019_02_28_pilot_custom_

My Platinum Century 3776 is next to it for size comparison. The pen is really big. Larger than the 149 I went in to buy.

Here's the nib:

fpn_1553435659__2019_02_28_pilot_custom_

The pen comes with the Pilot Con 70 converter. I've had to write a lot with this pen just so I can empty the converter and re-fill it. The Con 70 takes a lot of practice to get filled. You have to attack the plunger aggressively and repeatedly or you don't get much ink. And if you ease up during the attack you can end up with less ink than you had.

Despite the filling issue, I love the pen. It is wonderfully flexible and writes smoothly with just enough tooth to give you feedback on what you're doing without being scratchy.

Never argue with drunks or crazy people.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• samasry

• Wandering Man

• ridiculopathy

• Sakura FP Gallery

• 2 months later...

congratulations on this wonderful pen.

What kind of case did you get for this pen, I would appreciate a link for a case that would fit this beast.

Display case?

It just kinda hangs in the air in my wood display case.

For travel, it fits in my book-like Aston zippered case.

It’s too tall for the leather wrap.

That’s pretty much all I’ve got.

Display case?

It just kinda hangs in the air in my wood display case.

For travel, it fits in my book-like Aston zippered case.

It’s too tall for the leather wrap.

That’s pretty much all I’ve got.

I did not mean for display. I meant , if you want to take it to work or travel with it. I have been trying to find a single pen leather case for it. It seems that the best option is something like your Zippered case, as I am "NOT" a big fan of the wraps. It is just this pen is huge, and even if a case is designed to fit the MB 149, it does not mean, it would work with this one. Thanks for the reply and congratulations again

Edited by salmasry

Beautiful pen, isn't it!

I love the nib design. But it is way too big for me.

The pen comes with the Pilot Con 70 converter. I've had to write a lot with this pen just so I can empty the converter and re-fill it. The Con 70 takes a lot of practice to get filled. You have to attack the plunger aggressively and repeatedly or you don't get much ink. And if you ease up during the attack you can end up with less ink than you had.

One tip I got from my friend is to use syringe to fill ink in your converter. I always fail in filling up the full level of converter. Always there is some bubbles inside, then you have less ink than you expect. So I am so happy to use syringe to fill ink. It is convenient and you will have the full converter every time you need. One plus point is that you don't have to deep your pen in the ink bottle. I don't like it when the ink touch the grip. It just annoys me.

:D Nice to meet you :D

I did not mean for display. I meant , if you want to take it to work or travel with it. I have been trying to find a single pen leather case for it. It seems that the best option is something like your Zippered case, as I am a big fan of the wraps. It is just this pen is huge, and even if a case is designed to fit the MB 149, it does not mean, it would work with this one. Thanks for the reply and congratulations again

Thank you.

Yes, it is a big boy. I do have one other thing it fits. Pelikan gave a pen holder in 2016 that wraps around the cover of a journal. The pen fits in there. But I’ve not found one for sale anywhere.

You might email Goulet Pens, since they sell the pen and also have a relationship with Noc

@ Wandering Man: Congrats on your pen.

Mine (Red) has been inked since I got it at the beginning of the year. It is simply a fantastic pen (I prefer the Custom Urushi to any of my 149s, so I guess you chose well :D ).

I did not mean for display. I meant , if you want to take it to work or travel with it. I have been trying to find a single pen leather case for it. It seems that the best option is something like your Zippered case, as I am a big fan of the wraps. It is just this pen is huge, and even if a case is designed to fit the MB 149, it does not mean, it would work with this one. Thanks for the reply and congratulations again

Pilot has a case made for this pen:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pilot-pen-case-Pensemble-for-single-pen-leather-pen-wrap-Long-type-Black/153503893810?hash=item23bd8b8932:g:JdsAAOSw6DdZiuZZ

They have it in red too (the one I got), just make sure you get the "long type".

Edited to add: no affiliation with that vendor (just a very satisfied customer).

Edited by Lam1

@ Wandering Man: Congrats on your pen.

Mine (Red) has been inked since I got it at the beginning of the year. It is simply a fantastic pen (I prefer the Custom Urushi to any of my 149s, so I guess you chose well :D ).

Pilot has a case made for this pen:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pilot-pen-case-Pensemble-for-single-pen-leather-pen-wrap-Long-type-Black/153503893810?hash=item23bd8b8932:g:JdsAAOSw6DdZiuZZ

They have it in red too (the one I got), just make sure you get the "long type".

Edited to add: no affiliation with that vendor (just a very satisfied customer).

Thank you for the pointer. This pilot wrap looks interesting actually. I appreciate it.

Thank you.

Yes, it is a big boy. I do have one other thing it fits. Pelikan gave a pen holder in 2016 that wraps around the cover of a journal. The pen fits in there. But I’ve not found one for sale anywhere.

You might email Goulet Pens, since they sell the pen and also have a relationship with Noc

Thank you for the advice. Hopefully most of these wrap/case ideas are safe for the Urushi, I have no idea how resistant to scratches that coating is. This is the first time I get into this fancy shmancy stuff. I used to carry metal rotring pencil till couple of years ago :lol:

my gear from the yester-year :

https://www.amazon.com/rOtring-Barrel-Mechanical-Pencil-1904443/dp/B00AZWYUA4/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=rotring&qid=1560482204&s=office-products&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1

Edited by salmasry

I did not mean for display. I meant , if you want to take it to work or travel with it. I have been trying to find a single pen leather case for it. It seems that the best option is something like your Zippered case, as I am "NOT" a big fan of the wraps. It is just this pen is huge, and even if a case is designed to fit the MB 149, it does not mean, it would work with this one. Thanks for the reply and congratulations again

I have a Pilot Somes single pen case which I use for my larger pens. It easily holds my Eboya Manten and Montblanc JFK. They actually had a Namiki Custom Urushi in it for display when I bought it at Ito-ya. I would take a look at it though they are not cheap. Quality is superior though.

Edit: I did some searching and it seems the Somes line may be difficult to find outside Japan.

Edited by OmegaMountain

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts." - Patrick Rothfuss

I have a Pilot Somes single pen case which I use for my larger pens. It easily holds my Eboya Manten and Montblanc JFk. They actually had a Namiki Custom Urushi in it for display when I bought it at Ito-ya. I would take a look at it though they are not cheap. Quality is superior though.

Edit: I did some searching and it seems the Somes line may be difficult to find outside Japan.

Wonderful, this looks like the perfect case. Thank you for the pointer.

Aside from the filling system in my humble opinion the Custom Urushi blows the 149 out of the water. Such a joy to write with!

Aside from the filling system in my humble opinion the Custom Urushi blows the 149 out of the water. Such a joy to write with!

I do not have actual experience with the MB 149. For the Custom Urushi though, I love it, I think holding the pen itself uncapped and while writing is an amazing experience. Somehow with the cap on, it looks like the pen is on steroids, I do not know :unsure: