Which Parker Quink With Solv-X Ink Is This?

Intensity

I got a pen from a friend, and it's filled with a beautiful saturated tealy-turquoisey-blue ink with a strong smell, which I suspected was phenol. I asked what ink it was, and he linked me this photograph:

Fs5Cspj.jpg

Seems like Quink with Solv-X has undergone a few bottle redesigns, and from what I'm seeing of "blue" in google image writing, it's not what the ink in my pen is like. Mine is saturated, has a noticeable amount of teal in it, and is not dark enough to be considered blue-black. I'm afraid my picture doesn't represent the ink accurately enough. In person, the ink is somewhere between Lamy Pacific/Turquoise (bottom right) and R. Oster Fire & Ice. I've included Sailor Souten and Diamine Asa Blue (Asa is a blue with a hint of green already):

7YBHGf9.jpg

And this is under artificial lighting, on Col-O-Ring paper:

GQMS2z3.jpg

If I want to hunt down a bottle of this goodness for myself, what exactly should I be looking for?

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Intensity

• Driften

• The Good Captain

• azbobcat

Top Posters In This Topic

IF that is Quink that is NOT a color I recognize... but I DO!!! It WAS a color I "created" by mixing Quink washable BLUE and Quink GREEN. I know that Quink had a Blue that was lighter than than Washable Blue but I can't remember the name (Peacock Blue?) -- but it was not the color you posted. More likely than not the person did what i did: The bottle/s was running low, they had some Quink Green ink then threw it into the blue ink to get a full bottle. The color I "created" was unique, and i could recognize it a mile away when the teacher was passing back out homework (back in the day when students still used Fountain Pens for homework assignments -- God that dates me!!). Mine was more towards the Blue GREEN side of the spectrum. More like Private Reserves Blue Suede. The color you have is closer to Private Reserves Naples Blue.

As far a Quink colors that were common;y available the ones that I remember were Quink Black, Blue-Black, Washable Blue, and Green. The other one I remember was something called Parker Penman Green. Parker Quink Red and Peacock Blue (?) were seldom seen, But the big three were Black, Blue Black, and Washable Blue.

Apparently its really the ink and not a mixture. I got more photos just now, a clean pen dipped into that ink bottle writes with the same saturated teal/turquoise blue, a d my friend said its been like that from the start and has quite a lot of old inks purchased long ago. Curious. He might send me that bottle. I wish I could figure out how to get more if I end up running out.

Looks like something in between modern Quink Blue Black and old Turquoise.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

That does look like a nice ink and something I would buy. It also could be more saturated and darker from water evaporating out over the years. Maybe it started out as Turquoise?

Quink used to be available as a Turquoise - I had some when I was at school, many decades ago. Like everything, bottle labels fade with time as well.

Whether the Turquoise had Solv-X in or not, I can't remember. But it was a separate colour.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Thanks everyone! I think this might indeed be an aged/a little evaporated and concentrated Quink Turquoise! Found this picture:

quink.jpg

Image source: http://isamunangpatalastas.blogspot.com/2018/10/185-brand-stories-parker-quink-1931.html

The bottle on the left is clearly one of the blues, and the bottle on the right must be turquoise. It looks exactly like the bottle my friend has in terms of the color band on the label, as opposed to the more purple-shifted darker blue of the left bottle that's probably royal blue.