Mont Blanc 146 - Ink Filing Trouble

iyersn

Having trouble with a MB 146, which is not sucking in ink. The piston seems to be working fine in its movement. Initially, had to clean out the ink in the pen by keeping the Nib and part of section submerged in warm water, flushing with whatever little water it could take in. Did this several times. All the above didnt make the ink filing work. So, after getting the tools from eBay, opened the nib unit and the piston (and greased it) and put the parts back.

Then, tried to fill in water in the pen through its normal filling system (nib and the piston mechanism), it still doesnt suck in the ink.

When it was working, had used only Yama Dori ink. This was not a new pen, but was in a good condition when received and has been used for only 4 ink fills since then over 6-7 months.

Seeking advice from fellow members.

Edited by iyersn

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• iyersn

• hari317

• SpecTP

• RoSpectre

Top Posters In This Topic

With the nib unit removed from the pen, try to check if there is suction when you retract the piston. Or just try to fill the pen with water with the nib unit removed. Does it take in water? If yes then the feeder is clogged. If not then the piston seal is worn.

To unclog the feeder knock it out of its sleeve (called case feeder) and soak in a dishwash solution and use a toothbrush to scrub the feeder clean.

Replacement piston seals may be available from penboard.de or some other sources.

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Was the old ink dried out in the pen (like it sat for several weeks/months)? When you are able to suck the tiny bit of water in using the piston is it colored or does it have chunks in it?

I had a clogged 146 that just had ink very badly crusted in the feed and it was clogged up. Soaking helped, but if you can get the feed and nib totally out of the collar that is the best way to clean it (but damned difficult, unfortunately -- probably requires a hammer and peg). The other method is to use a bulb syringe to flush out the nib. So with the piston unit removed but the nib unit in place, ram a rubber bulb/ear syringe tightly in the piston end so it seals, and squeeze/blast water as hard as you can. If water doesn't come out the nib at a good rate (more than just dripping), it's clogged. If the bulb doesn't do it, you can manually push the piston down the barrel (slowly but firmly), as this will apply much more water pressure than the syringe or just screwing the piston down normally.

If water is flowing in and out of the nib normally when you do this, then your piston seal is more likely the problem (i.e., when you work the piston air leaks in around the seal rather than ink coming in through the nib). A new piston head will be needed!

With the nib unit removed from the pen, try to check if there is suction when you retract the piston. Or just try to fill the pen with water with the nib unit removed. Does it take in water? If yes then the feeder is clogged. If not then the piston seal is worn.

To unclog the feeder knock it out of its sleeve (called case feeder) and soak in a dishwash solution and use a toothbrush to scrub the feeder clean.

Replacement piston seals may be available from penboard.de or some other sources.

Thanks Hari, for your wonderful advice.

I did what you suggested.

The piston was working, when tested without the nib, in sucking in water in the barrel.

Lucky, had got the nib removal tool and the piston removal tool couple of weeks back; the nib unit could be removed. The hole in a Tool box exactly fit the nib unit, kept the reverse side of a drill on the feed and slowly hammered it to get the nib and feed out of the unit.

Cleaned up the feed using a toothbrush with a mix of warm water and two drops of dish wash liquid; it did remove some ink (?) particles stuck on the feed.

Fixed everything back after putting in some silicon grease on the piston.

The pen did work in sucking in water through the nib unit, though not sure how much it filled in the barrel. Will ink it shortly and let know.

Was the old ink dried out in the pen (like it sat for several weeks/months)? When you are able to suck the tiny bit of water in using the piston is it colored or does it have chunks in it?

I had a clogged 146 that just had ink very badly crusted in the feed and it was clogged up. Soaking helped, but if you can get the feed and nib totally out of the collar that is the best way to clean it (but damned difficult, unfortunately -- probably requires a hammer and peg). The other method is to use a bulb syringe to flush out the nib. So with the piston unit removed but the nib unit in place, ram a rubber bulb/ear syringe tightly in the piston end so it seals, and squeeze/blast water as hard as you can. If water doesn't come out the nib at a good rate (more than just dripping), it's clogged. If the bulb doesn't do it, you can manually push the piston down the barrel (slowly but firmly), as this will apply much more water pressure than the syringe or just screwing the piston down normally.

If water is flowing in and out of the nib normally when you do this, then your piston seal is more likely the problem (i.e., when you work the piston air leaks in around the seal rather than ink coming in through the nib). A new piston head will be needed!

Thanks RoSpectre for your advice.

I shall try this if the pen yet continues to have the problem.

I had tried flushing it with water and over several attempts there would be that odd drops of water getting in. When flushed out, it did have the ink colour so many times, definitely the ink had dried in (think it had become slimy also - and this slimy blob came out in one of the flush outs where the nib and bit of the barrel remained soaked in warm water overnight).