Adding To The Flock

mana

27 minutes ago, senzen said:

The moonstone would have been very hard to resist sans glitter... As luck would have it The Thirteenth Pelikan (horror movie title?) is on the way: hard to resist a brown MC110 for $20 + shipping + taxes.

That is a killer deal! Congrats.I really like those MC110 nibs and have swapped several into my M2XXs. I’ve got a 1mm italic in my M205 Rose Quartz that I filled with Robert Oster Rose Gold Antiqua ink yesterday. Absolutely beautiful on cream paper!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• N1003U

• carola

• Lam1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, alfredop said:

This seems an interesting nib.

Alfredo

Indeed it is. Very unique feel and excellent response compared to any vintage Pelikan I have.

Joy to use for sure.

- Roshan

I'm glad I submitted to the peer pressure and bought a M600 Glauco Cambon. This thing straight up glows when rotated, especially under artificial light. If this is a series, I'm hooked. Thanks to @N1003U for pointing out that though it is heavier than the typical M600s, it still only weighs about what a M800 does. Almost missed out because I normally don't buy heavy, metal pens.

IMG_4528.thumb.jpeg.1a564f77941ea35158b09b71696a5496.jpeg

IMG_4529.thumb.jpeg.657081311b4e9a0fe762e7abfe21122b.jpeg

IMG_4531.thumb.jpeg.d87bbe8983eb217ec5adfbbd62864c43.jpeg

I am happy you are enjoying the Glauco Cambon, @DilettanteG! Its luminescence is fascinating, and it is just fun to look at under bright specular light. Yes, I like the M600 size, and once in a while, a little extra heft is also nice. I too would welcome a series of pens in this genre.

I am left-handed, so I ordered mine with a broad nib and had it ground to a crisp architect, and I am deriving great pleasure in using the pen.

3 hours ago, N1003U said:

I am happy you are enjoying the Glauco Cambon, @DilettanteG! Its luminescence is fascinating, and it is just fun to look at under bright specular light. Yes, I like the M600 size, and once in a while, a little extra heft is also nice. I too would welcome a series of pens in this genre.

I am left-handed, so I ordered mine with a broad nib and had it ground to a crisp architect, and I am deriving great pleasure in using the pen.

Weren't the oblique nibs for left handed writers as well? Mine all have custom grinds on them I think, so I can't tell. I've never tried an architects (I'm right handed.) I also don't know how to write in Hebrew or Arabic, which I understand is the other purpose for that nib. Any idea why it's called the architect?

18 hours ago, senzen said:

Tha colour is wild! 

I guess, that is why I like it so much....😀

On 3/1/2024 at 12:30 AM, DilettanteG said:

Weren't the oblique nibs for left handed writers as well? Mine all have custom grinds on them I think, so I can't tell. I've never tried an architects (I'm right handed.) I also don't know how to write in Hebrew or Arabic, which I understand is the other purpose for that nib. Any idea why it's called the architect?

I do not know why architect nibs are called “architect”  nibs (I suspect it has to do with the fact that they produce a crisp, thin line when drawn parallel along a straight edge). Oblique nibs, in my experience, are more about rotation than about writing angle. I suppose a certain amount of oblique grinding might be useful for left-handed writing.

I hold my pens with a fairly traditional three-fingered “tripod” grip, I just do it with my left hand instead of my right hand. By using an architect nib, I seem to create line variation with my normal handwriting that is similar to what a right-handler creates with an italic nib. Otherwise, I find I have to write with the paper turned sideways, which is for me inconvenient.

Similar to an italic, one can make an architect produce quite a bit of line variation, but to do that, the nib needs to be ground “crisply”, with a sharp, flat contact pad, which is also, like a crisp italic, very sensitive to nib angle and prone to scratching the paper. The contact surface can be rounded to make it more “friendly“, but with a corresponding decrease in line variation.

Thanks @N1003U

I thought it was the reverse of a crisp italic with wide horizontals and narrow downstrokes? Rounding sounds like an inverted equivalent of a stub. I'm tempted to try one for the novelty, but I've promised myself I'd take some time to enjoy my recent buying spree before buying yet more. We'll see how long I can hold out from the consumer therapy madness.

They turned off our water supply so I bought a brown M200 with broad nib.

I'm going to hate myself in the morning.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Yeah, but you're probably going to like the pen....  Although it sucks about the water.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

1 hour ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

They turned off our water supply so I bought a brown M200 with broad nib.

I'm going to hate myself in the morning.

Retail therapy or rage buying? Either way, seems reasonable to me. Hope your water is back soon!

8 hours ago, DilettanteG said:

Retail therapy or rage buying? Either way, seems reasonable to me. Hope your water is back soon!

Thanks!  The water is back.  The water is black. (That's all the rhyme I can generate now).

Therapy, pretty much.  And thanks too @inkstainedruth.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

On 3/2/2024 at 3:00 PM, DilettanteG said:

Thanks @N1003U

I thought it was the reverse of a crisp italic with wide horizontals and narrow downstrokes? Rounding sounds like an inverted equivalent of a stub. I'm tempted to try one for the novelty, but I've promised myself I'd take some time to enjoy my recent buying spree before buying yet more. We'll see how long I can hold out from the consumer therapy madness.

Unfortunately the paper I had handy was a bit more absorbent than I wanted, but here one can perhaps see a subtle difference between a regular Pelikan M nib, a Jowo M ground to a “stub” equivalent architect, and a Pelikan M ground to a “crisp” equivalent architect.

IMG_2154.jpeg

2 hours ago, DilettanteG said:

I jumped on the M200 Cafe Creme bandwagon. You were all right, this is a great pen and surprisingly attractive in person.

IMG_4546.thumb.jpeg.6c6f11f5e65afaede23d328323f64030.jpeg

IMG_4545.thumb.jpeg.00a0603ecd018dd4033f571bd8650a4e.jpeg

IMG_4543.thumb.jpeg.4acfc4cdb36a9ef2eeb62709817e6354.jpeg

IMG_4541.thumb.jpeg.6d01c5b9fa9ddc415add13ad94c657cb.jpeg

IMG_4544.thumb.jpeg.f26750ebd062081faa132584bb19ab1d.jpeg

I especially like how it looks on the dark background of the second picture.

3 hours ago, DilettanteG said:

I jumped on the M200 Cafe Creme bandwagon. You were all right, this is a great pen and surprisingly attractive in person.

IMG_4546.thumb.jpeg.6c6f11f5e65afaede23d328323f64030.jpeg

IMG_4545.thumb.jpeg.00a0603ecd018dd4033f571bd8650a4e.jpeg

IMG_4543.thumb.jpeg.4acfc4cdb36a9ef2eeb62709817e6354.jpeg

IMG_4541.thumb.jpeg.6d01c5b9fa9ddc415add13ad94c657cb.jpeg

IMG_4544.thumb.jpeg.f26750ebd062081faa132584bb19ab1d.jpeg

that is a nice looking pen!

@DilettanteG glad you are happy with the Cafe Creme. It is more attractive in person. Lots of pens are prettier than the online photos. 

Mine didn’t come with the pen case. 😟

Posted Image

I don't remember if my current Café Crème did.  The original one I think did, but the second one (after losing the first one) I think did not.

I really thought that I'd never be able to track down a 3rd one after losing the second one.  So other than showing it off at a pen club meeting when I got the current one, I think that's gonna be one of those pens which never leaves the house.... :blush:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thanks guys! This shade of brown is so much more attractive than the black it looked like in the Pelikan photos. Shout out to Chatterly Luxuries who shipped it insanely fast in a fancy box with a pouch. I believe Pelikan sells the boxes separately so you never know what you’ll get. Pen box roulette!