Adding To The Flock

mana

19 hours ago, DilettanteG said:

IMG_4521.thumb.jpeg.eb43225ac5191ed4ba20d546d296f736.jpeg

I forgot to ask you something that I wanted to ask you last time you posted a picture of this notebook: to what does ‘KLBG Volume 42’ refer?

Is it just ‘volume 42 of the journal of [your initials]’?

Or is it something that I ought to know about, such as ‘Kill-Loathsome-Brits-Gang’?
😬

large.Mercia45x27IMG_2024-09-18-104147.PNG.4f96e7299640f06f63e43a2096e76b6e.PNG  Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.  spacer.png

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• N1003U

• carola

• Lam1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Mercian said:

I have always found that I perceive its colour to lean towards red.

I have found that it looks less red when used in very-wet pens than it does from my pens with finer nibs, but it is not as ‘neutral’ a shade of brown as are the other brown inks that I have used (Parker Penman Mocha, Diamine Chocolate Brown, and Pelikan Edelstein Smoky Quartz).

That said, our colour perception is a very individual thing, and I know that other FPN members just perceive it to be ‘brown’.

Its ‘behaviour’ - feathering, ease of clean-up, etc - is just as good in my experience as that of Waterman ‘Florida Blue’/‘Serenity Blue’.

Thanks for the answer. It has been a long time since I have seen Waterman Havana Brown (or whatever they call it these days) in person, and it can be tough to really tell from pictures on an electronic screen.

Thanks guys, I absolutely love the Renaissance Brown. I was trying to decide between this and the 2013 M800 Brown Tortoise when asked what I wanted for Valentine's Day. The Brown Tortoise is so similar to the M800 Brown and Black that I opted for the Renaissance with the IB nib. It has not disappointed, with my only complaint being the lack of a clear ink windows. Those M101Ns and the M2XX demonstrators have really spoiled me.

@N1003U My ancient bottle of Waterman Havana is dark brown with a maroon cast. Not sure how Waterman's Absolute Brown, the current iteration, compares. The Waterman's are just super well behaved inks, totally recommend.

@Mercian The gold stamping is just my initials and the volume number. Not exciting, but I just really like personalized stuff. I am planning on buying some leather paint and stencils to try labelling the spines as well. And I'm afraid Mr. Dilettante's sister is happily married. We'll have to find you someone else nice with excellent taste in pens.

@RedPie I'm really happy with this new pen. They are getting pretty thin on the ground. The German site where I bought mine has one more new one left. I'll PM you the link, if you'd like.

And just a shout out to Martini Auctions. This is the fourth pen I've bought from her, plus a few nibs and a calligraphy set. I've been super happy with every one of my purchases. Shipping to the US is, of course, a bit steep, but she will combine shipping for multiple purchases. This is site:

https://www.martiniauctions.com

On 2/17/2024 at 5:36 PM, Mercian said:

Or is it something that I ought to know about, such as ‘Kill-Loathsome-Brits-Gang’?
😬

How'd you find out about them? They're supposed to be TopSecret!!! 😲

15 hours ago, DilettanteG said:

I'll PM you the link, if you'd like.

Thank you so much, I appreciate it! Looks like they have some interesting auctions going on. 😀

I added a classic green striped M800 (pre-1997 version) to my flock. Very soft nib.

PelikanM800Green.thumb.jpg.0798136d9a62f360a38a3d2124a1c4c6.jpg

Alfredo

5 hours ago, alfredop said:

I added a classic green striped M800 (pre-1997 version) to my flock. Very soft nib.

PelikanM800Green.thumb.jpg.0798136d9a62f360a38a3d2124a1c4c6.jpg

Alfredo

Very nice pen. I also have an early-production M800. Mine has a slight twist in the stripes, and it looks like this one has similar twist. I wonder what in the manufacturing process causes that?

28 minutes ago, N1003U said:

Very nice pen. I also have an early-production M800. Mine has a slight twist in the stripes, and it looks like this one has similar twist. I wonder what in the manufacturing process causes that?

I do not know, what is certain is that my two modern M800s have not the twist,

Alfredo

3 hours ago, alfredop said:

I do not know, what is certain is that my two modern M800s have not the twist,

Alfredo

My modern Souverän pens do not have that twist, either. Since the striped binde on the barrel is generally made by wrapping a rectangular piece of cellulose acetate around a mandrel, I wonder if it is an artifact of the stripes not being exactly parallel to the axis of the barrel. When I look carefully at the seam where the binde material is joined, that looks like it might be the case.

Maybe in those days, the cutting process was  not as precise, or the material had more variation.

Today, I just happen to have the M400 White Tortoise with KWZ Lux Grey.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

As much as I dislike gold trim that Anthracite still gives me an itch.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

8 minutes ago, senzen said:

As much as I dislike gold trim that Anthracite still gives me an itch.

I quite like how the gold colored hardware sets off the warm grey body and cap. Maybe look at the M205 Moonstone instead? That cool, sparkly grey and silver colored fittings might appeal more to your tastes. Both are great little, featherweight workhorses. Hard to go wrong with either of them, honestly.

On 2/26/2024 at 1:33 AM, roshpens said:

Adding Pelikan ST nib 

IMG_1135.jpeg

IMG_1130.jpeg

This seems an interesting nib.

Alfredo

23 hours ago, DilettanteG said:

I quite like how the gold colored hardware sets off the warm grey body and cap. Maybe look at the M205 Moonstone instead? That cool, sparkly grey and silver colored fittings might appeal more to your tastes. Both are great little, featherweight workhorses. Hard to go wrong with either of them, honestly.

The moonstone would have been very hard to resist sans glitter... As luck would have it The Thirteenth Pelikan (horror movie title?) is on the way: hard to resist a brown MC110 for $20 + shipping + taxes.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

On 2/26/2024 at 8:05 AM, RedPie said:

Happy with my Pelikan Twist, M nib. Writes nice.

Tha colour is wild! 

B. Russell