Adding To The Flock

mana

1 hour ago, carola said:

Oh boy, we are... 🙈

Not a lot of barriers to buying pens these days either. A few clicks and it just shows up at your house. I am really enjoying it.

And today, the first used pen I've bought for a while arrived at my house. I have all of the Pelikan M620 Cities and Places collection, so when this K620 Athens showed up on eBay, I impulsively put in the first bid. I don't usually collect ballpens, but I do love a matched set and this one is especially pretty:

IMG_4363.thumb.jpeg.9897ef72d88bc05d83d786051029a553.jpeg

I've got that M101N Lizard in the post and a M605 Black Tortoiseshell Broad with a custom Cursive Italic grind due from the Nibsmith in several weeks. Then, I think I'm done collecting for a while. I've never bought so many pens so quickly before and I'm looking forwarding to enjoying them in this new year. I'm also going to try to add pen pictures to my blog, so it should be a nice, busy time.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• N1003U

• carola

• Lam1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, DilettanteG said:

Thanks, looking at those blues and yellows really makes me want to go to Greece and see the city that inspired it. 

You and me both! LOL

7 hours ago, RedPie said:

You and me both! LOL

I still have the wildly ambitious plan of going to each of the cities and places in the M620 collection and photographing each pen there. Covid tanked it, but I came across my passport renewal application while cleaning my office and I think it's time to start making some plans.

I keep lusting after both the M620 Piccadilly Circus, and the M620 Athens pens.  Then I look at the prices and get a reality check.... :wallbash:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

1 minute ago, inkstainedruth said:

I keep lusting after both the M620 Piccadilly Circus, and the M620 Athens pens.  Then I look at the prices and get a reality check.... :wallbash:

Same here with the M800 Brown Tortoise SE from 2013. So, an order empathy all around, please barkeep.

Well, at least I'm okay on that account -- M800s are too big for my hand, so I don't even bother looking at those.  Of course, back when they came out with the M805 Stresemann LE, I was going, "If they ever make one of those in the M400 size, I'd be knocking over banks to get one...."  Then, a few years later, they did come out the the M405 Stresemann -- and it was the one time in my life I really had a shopping budget.  And because I bought my from Rolf Thiel's eBay store, I saved some money (didn't have to pay the US distributor markup, he didn't have to charge me VAT, and back then eBay didn't collect sales taxes).  But of course then said, Hmmm -- what else has he got up at the moment?" and ended up buying the M405 Blue Black....  And an hour later got the "Did you know....?" phone call from PayPal.... :wacko:  And after assuring the person on the phone that yes, it was a legit purchase, looked at my husband and said, "OMG -- I really DID just spend that much money on ONLY TWO pens...." :yikes:

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

14 hours ago, DilettanteG said:

I still have the wildly ambitious plan of going to each of the cities and places in the M620 collection and photographing each pen there. Covid tanked it, but I came across my passport renewal application while cleaning my office and I think it's time to start making some plans.

That sounds wonderful! Enjoy and don't forget to show us some pictures!!!

Sadly no travel yet, but I did pick up another M101N, a Lizard this time. A very attractive pen and a good fit for me. I'm glad Pelikan released a modern version as the original Lizards' prices seem to have reached the stratosphere. This is what mine looks like with the excellent packaging, which I also thought was pretty cool:

IMG_4415.thumb.jpeg.1e4444c93db0c525171884d8cc24a32d.jpeg

IMG_4414.thumb.jpeg.9d97904cafe4f542ee115f98c354ba84.jpeg

IMG_4413.thumb.jpeg.019e31a5edd2a313352f418bf9dcba4e.jpeg

IMG_4412.thumb.jpeg.535749046c1dc4594b4464b3aa26713b.jpeg

IMG_4411.thumb.jpeg.73e6253e91be531fdc96e468dfb955d4.jpeg

IMG_4410.thumb.jpeg.d1cb920508789dc8dcda3e7e8b5104c3.jpeg

8 hours ago, DilettanteG said:

Sadly no travel yet, but I did pick up another M101N, a Lizard this time. A very attractive pen and a good fit for me. I'm glad Pelikan released a modern version as the original Lizards' prices seem to have reached the stratosphere. This is what mine looks like with the excellent packaging, which I also thought was pretty cool:

IMG_4413.thumb.jpeg.019e31a5edd2a313352f418bf9dcba4e.jpeg

Congrats!

The Lizard is gorgeous, and one of my faves (mine is currently inked).

The M101n's are addictive. 

I got my first one "by accident" (found on ebay, new but listed as a M200 for $170. So I said, why not?). After it arrived, I "needed" the other 4! :) It seems that you understand the feeling 😁.

7 minutes ago, Lam1 said:

Congrats!

The Lizard is gorgeous, and one of my faves (mine is currently inked).

The M101n's are addictive. 

I got my first one "by accident" (found on ebay, new but listed as a M200 for $170. So I said, why not?). After it arrived, I "needed" the other 4! :) It seems that you understand the feeling 😁.

Right there with you, boss. 👍

I just ordered a third with my favorite factory nib: an IB. None of them were $170. Excellent shopping there!. Why is it just so satisfying to get things at a bargain price? I fully intend to pick up the last two in the set. I'm still looking for a few other special editions that have become difficult to find and ridiculously priced if I do, so I'm scooping the M101Ns up while I can. Probably paranoia on my part as they don't seem as hard to find as I would have imagined. They're such great little pens!

23 hours ago, DilettanteG said:

Right there with you, boss. 👍

I just ordered a third with my favorite factory nib: an IB. None of them were $170. Excellent shopping there!. Why is it just so satisfying to get things at a bargain price? I fully intend to pick up the last two in the set. I'm still looking for a few other special editions that have become difficult to find and ridiculously priced if I do, so I'm scooping the M101Ns up while I can. Probably paranoia on my part as they don't seem as hard to find as I would have imagined. They're such great little pens!

That they are 

I think that's not paranoia at all. When I got mine they were much more difficult to source, particularly the lizard and the tortoises. Fortunately, in the last year or so, some Japanese sellers seem to be unloading their old stock. But, who knows what will happen next!?

6 hours ago, Lam1 said:

That they are 

I think that's not paranoia at all. When I got mine they were much more difficult to source, particularly the lizard and the tortoises. Fortunately, in the last year or so, some Japanese sellers seem to be unloading their old stock. But, who knows what will happen next!?

Wow, I did not know that. That makes me feel so much better about not putting off acquiring them. Thanks!

The flock continue to enlarge:

75416E43-4DA5-4EE7-A7CF-F2ECC3A7EFB2.thumb.jpeg.8c82ea166c02d53f16e1250c813ff021.jpeg

this is my first 640 and it is a pleasant surprise. Indeed the section of the M600 with a slightly larger barrel makes the pen very balanced when writing.

Alfredo

That's an interesting looking pen, Alfredo.  I'm not familiar with any of the 640 models.  

What's the nib on it?

6 hours ago, alfredop said:

The flock continue to enlarge:

75416E43-4DA5-4EE7-A7CF-F2ECC3A7EFB2.thumb.jpeg.8c82ea166c02d53f16e1250c813ff021.jpeg

this is my first 640 and it is a pleasant surprise. Indeed the section of the M600 with a slightly larger barrel makes the pen very balanced when writing.

Alfredo

I love the shape of this pen. Is it very heavy?

Pelikan M805 Ocean Swirl with a silky smooth EF Nib filled with Pelikan Edelstei Aquamarine

This is another one of my pens which has been in the rotation since I bought it about three years ago, It always has this ink in it and is always a visual and tactile delight to write with. I'm glad I snagged one when I did. I have the matching ballpoint and it's a lovely set. The "swirl" is extremely dependent on which section of the barrel you look at. Here, a darker side of the binde is most visible. It makes it fun to move the pen around and get that changing pattern effect. 10/10 Pelikan!

IMG_4426.thumb.jpeg.dee09d307279d14d63c3392cb4ae0a30.jpeg

Edited to add: Oops, this should have been in "what Pelikan are you writing with today."  Too late now! Sorry, my pre-caffeinated posts are not my best work.

3 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

That's an interesting looking pen, Alfredo.  I'm not familiar with any of the 640 models.  

What's the nib on it?

the same nib used on M600, in this case it is a rodhium plated of grade EF.

2 hours ago, DilettanteG said:

I love the shape of this pen. Is it very heavy?

I do not find the pen too much heavy, certainly is less heavy then the recent M600 Art Collection.

Alfredo

1 hour ago, alfredop said:

the same nib used on M600, in this case it is a rodhium plated of grade EF.

I do not find the pen too much heavy, certainly is less heavy then the recent M600 Art Collection.

Alfredo

The only difference is that in the M640 the nib is 18K, while the regular M600 has a 14K nib.