Adding To The Flock

mana

2 hours ago, Misfit said:

Goldspot has them in stock, but at $280.

1 hour ago, RedPie said:

I guess you can never have too many Pelikans. 🥰

I generally agree with that sentiment, but I am beginning to wonder…

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• N1003U

• carola

• Lam1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Misfit said:

Thanks. That would require a bit of “bullet biting” at that price, but I am considering it…

Just now, N1003U said:

Thanks. That would require a bit of “bullet biting” at that price, but I am considering it…

I agree, but that price is not bad at all. I hear you...

6 hours ago, RedPie said:

That is a very nice color @DilettanteG. I guess you can never have too many Pelikans. 🥰

Thanks! I guess this is why Pelikan released an almost identical pen as  a special edition a few years after this one. I do like the clear blue and the silvery fittings and nib next to each other. I'd like to fit this with an IB nib in steel, but I'm not entirely sure those exist. Hopefully the MC 110 steel nibs will fit these pens.

$280 is a lot for a plastic and steel pen, but Pelikan's excellent piston filling system and design is pretty tempting. I just got the Pelikan special and limited edition book and it has a really lovely picture of the cafe cream next to a glass of perfectly layered expresso macchiato latte. That's my morning coffee of choice and I'm trying not to take it as a sign. 

I'm still trying to complete my M2XX demo set, so I'll have to enjoy the Cafe Creme vicariously thru whoever else buys it. Happy hunting folks!

8 hours ago, Misfit said:

YIKES!  I didn't pay nearly that much for my new one....

Of course the original one was under $200 (new) and I think the used one I bought as a replacement might have been as well (but then had to get a B nib unit for it because the italic nib on it was such a firehose (that nib is now on the M200 that has the Bayer logo imprint on it (the one that a friend got me as a joke gift on Freecycle), and the nib was much better behaved when I had 4001 Brilliant Black in the pen....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: @RedPie -- Yeah, that price is much closer to what I paid for the new one from Pen Boutique (actually possibly a bit better, but might end up being pretty close once shipping charges are factored in.)

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

:thumbup:

Yeah, that's why I wanted one in the first place.

Finally inked up the new one last night and used it some today.  Decided that I didn't really want to go "matchy-matchy", so filled the pen with Edelstein Topaz.  Only I didn't realize that how much ink I'd already used up already, and had some trouble tipping the bottle enough to get the nib completely immersed (and ended up getting Topaz all over the barrel (as well as the section :headsmack:) and of course all over my hand as well.... :wacko:

I guess I know what's at the top of the list for the next time I go ink shopping (since apparently I do NOT have a backup bottle...).

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

6 minutes ago, N1003U said:

Ink Miser: For me it was $6 very well spent.

I try to use it, but there are times I fill from a bottle. But then, it’s not like I have many bottles of ink that are close to empty. 

Posted Image

46 minutes ago, Misfit said:

I try to use it, but there are times I fill from a bottle. But then, it’s not like I have many bottles of ink that are close to empty. 

I also typically fill directly from the bottle, when the ink is running low, I find the Ink Miser very useful, especially around Pelikan Edelstein bottles. Though attractive to look at, Edelstein bottles seem almost optimized to avoid providing enough depth to fill large nib/feed assemblies.

Got this frankenbird recently. still trying to identify the barrel, likely a 140. the cap is a 120 cap. Not complaining though, it has an amazing nib, makes me want to write with flair.

pelikan-old1.png

pelikan-old2.png

pelikan-old3.png

On 12/29/2023 at 8:19 PM, Misfit said:

@inkstainedruth the Ink Miser in clear is a great tool when I choose to use it. 

:headsmack:

Completely forgot I have one of those!  Thanks!  

Don't remember if I have one of the "fits in the bottle" types or the "stand alone" ones.  In my defense, though, it's been a really stressful few days, and I've been having problems with my insides when I eat stuff (compounded, no doubt by the stress).  Including possibly getting screwed order on Chinese takeout from a place across the river from the friend we were visiting earlier today -- we had trouble getting the person on the phone to repeat back our order, and think we didn't get one thing as a result: there were 3 containers, but two of them contained the stuff our friend wanted and of course the receipt doesn't have the breakdown of items :angry:.

Then (when we left, after another friend came over with gooey desserts I didn't think were safe for me to eat at that point) my husband mis-stepped walking down to the driveway and fell and banged his arm up and scraped the back of his leg as well.  And our two friends had to help him up (I don't have the physical strength).  Fortunately, he took judo lessons as a kid, so knows how to fall safely....  But it was still a scary few minutes, and I thought I was going to have to be the one driving home, and don't do well driving in the dark any more....

Plus I've been draggy all day.  I slept in until nearly 10:30 this morning, so had breakfast around noon, and then the Chinese food around 3:30 PM (so a weird time for me to be eating just in general).  Part of me wanted to just stay home (it was gloomy and rained on and off most of the day) but part of me felt trapped (we did go out yesterday, but just to take stuff to recycling before the weather turned bad).  And of course ate at weird times yesterday, too (meant to have lunch before leaving the house, but was worried about the weather -- and unfortunately my husband didn't have lunch beforehand EITHER, and his blood sugar dropped and we didn't know a good (cheap) fast place to eat in that area (there's a good diner chain that does breakfast/brunch/lunch  but by the time we were heading home they would have been closed for the day).