Adding To The Flock

mana

On 11/10/2023 at 2:02 PM, stoen said:

Please, pardon this low resolution photo.

Here are two slightly better photos, which I hope could show some more of my fascination with the beauty and elegance this tiny little, 91 year old pen…

🙂

IMG_3073.jpeg.da1dc9e9776fb4640786c0a57c42ae55.jpeg

IMG_3074.jpeg.1bbc6bc8bbeff76d3089d66e8bfbf971.jpeg

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• N1003U

• carola

• Lam1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From the Dallas Pen Show.

2023DallasPelikanRaden1.jpg.83e8a5f87c3af0ff5feadd20701e1731.jpg

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

6 hours ago, stoen said:

Here are two slightly better photos, which I hope could show some more of my fascination with the beauty and elegance this tiny little, 91 year old pen…

🙂

IMG_3073.jpeg.da1dc9e9776fb4640786c0a57c42ae55.jpeg

IMG_3074.jpeg.1bbc6bc8bbeff76d3089d66e8bfbf971.jpeg

Oh, that IS a beauty!  Nice score!

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Well, technically I'm trying to refrain myself from inking it up until closer to Christmas (because it *is* technically my Christmas present) but last week the NOS (?) Pelikan M200 Café Crème, B nib, arrived in the mail, and I've flushed any residual manufacturing gunk out of it.

Hoping the 3rd time is the charm, and that I don't lose this one (the way I did with the first two... :wallbash:).  

Of course, I haven't inked up the P1 Twist from this year's Hub, either, even now that I have a converter for it -- I have too many pens inked up at the moment and trying to get some pens flushed before I ink up too many more (which of course is a problem, because I have all these ink samples I. want to try...).

edited for typos

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

On 11/23/2023 at 2:03 AM, tacitus said:

Hello @Andy1883,

is the box original to the pen?

On 11/23/2023 at 8:58 AM, Andy1883 said:

Hi @tacitus, I bought it as a set, but I don't know if it is the original box.  Hopefully, someone will know.

It is original, I saw it in some stores in the past.

Alfredo

On 11/28/2023 at 10:35 PM, inkstainedruth said:

Well, technically I'm trying to refrain myself from inking it up until closer to Christmas (because it *is* technically my Christmas present) but last week the NOS (?) Pelikan M200 Café Crème, B nib, arrived in the mail, and I've flushed any residual manufacturing gunk out of it.

Hoping the 3rd time is the charm, and that I don't lose this one (the way I did with the first two... :wallbash:).  

Of course, I haven't inked up the P1 Twist from this year's Hub, either, even now that I have a converter for it -- I have too many pens inked up at the moment and trying to get some pens flushed before I ink up too many more (which of course is a problem, because I have all these ink samples I. want to try...).

edited for typos

congrats on finding a Café Crème. That is a beautiful pen. If you ever find one of your others, feel free to send me a PM, and I’d be happy to make you a reasonable offer…😃

Unfortunately, the first one got lost on a trip down south (I called the hotel in Ohio where I stayed the first night, but they said it hadn't been turned in to them -- so I'm sure that one is LOOONG GONE :().  The second one I'm not sure WHERE I lost it, but that was after finding it (used) on eBay a few months after losing the first one; and then trailing around the Triangle Pen Show that summer trying to get a B nib to replace the IM nib that came on it (that IM nib is now on one of the other M200s -- a "joke gift" a friend got me -- on Freecycle of all places :o; it has the Bayer logo on the barrel -- and that pen/nib combo does very well with Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black).

So, other than showing off the new (NOS?) Café Crème at a pen club meeting or something, I have a feeling that it's not gonna leave the house much -- if EVER....

I’ve been dutifully saving all my pennies for home improvement since I already have a lifetime supply of pens, inks, and so, so many papers. Then I fell at the black Friday fence and picked up these two M205s and their matching inks. I forgot how much I love getting new pens and inks. Both are broad nibs and write so well that now I have a M200 Golden Beryl set on the way. It’s a fun, but slippery slope!

IMG_4065.jpeg

@DilettanteG it’s nice having packages headed your way. It almost feels like gifts to yourself. Oh, a package!  Those are great sets of Pelikans and inks. I got the Smoky Quartz and Moonstone sets. 

Posted Image

Waves @Misfit!

I have the matching inks and would love to add those pens, too. Especially the sparkly Moonstone M205. I do already have the anthracite and the cognac M200s, so it’s tough to justify it. That Star Ruby pen is tempting me, too despite my red m200 demonstrator. I’m really enjoying the teal Apatite and the wonderfully plasticky Barbie Rose Quarts M205s. That Edelstein Rose Quartz ink looks so lovely on the cream pages of my journal!

I think I just never got over missing out on the M205 Amethyst. Maybe their 2024 theme will be a sparkly purple and I can finally feed that craving? Or maybe I just really like tracking and opening packages?

Curse you FOMO!

Rose Quartz... I have a bottle of that ink standing on my desk and I would really like to get rid of it. I got it at the Pelikan Hub and I don´t have the slightest idea what to do with it as I really, really don´t like pink.

19 minutes ago, carola said:

Rose Quartz... I have a bottle of that ink standing on my desk and I would really like to get rid of it. I got it at the Pelikan Hub and I don´t have the slightest idea what to do with it as I really, really don´t like pink.

I thought I would hate it as pale inks aren’t my usual cup of tea, but I’m really enjoying it in that M205’s broad, wet nib. Actually the Edelstein line is my current go to brand. They just really suit my MXXX pens, which have largely taken over my collection.

The more time and money I’ve spent on repairing non piston fillers and  anything that isn’t a solid work horse, the less I’ve gone in for novelty pens and inks. My vintage American pens and inks are languishing with neglect. Lots of amazing nibs, but my choice of fill systems and ink flow have been hit or miss.

19 hours ago, DilettanteG said:

I’ve been dutifully saving all my pennies for home improvement since I already have a lifetime supply of pens, inks, and so, so many papers. Then I fell at the black Friday fence and picked up these two M205s and their matching inks. I forgot how much I love getting new pens and inks. Both are broad nibs and write so well that now I have a M200 Golden Beryl set on the way. It’s a fun, but slippery slope!

IMG_4065.jpeg

very nice pens!

3 hours ago, DilettanteG said:

I thought I would hate it as pale inks aren’t my usual cup of tea, but I’m really enjoying it in that M205’s broad, wet nib. Actually the Edelstein line is my current go to brand. They just really suit my MXXX pens, which have largely taken over my collection.

The more time and money I’ve spent on repairing non piston fillers and  anything that isn’t a solid work horse, the less I’ve gone in for novelty pens and inks. My vintage American pens and inks are languishing with neglect. Lots of amazing nibs, but my choice of fill systems and ink flow have been hit or miss.

…and I suppose you can console yourself that the M2xxs are still very attractive, well-performing pens, yet are far easier on the wallet than the limited editions and Souveräns.

I am right there with you on “give me reliable workhorses, or give me nothing”.

I find most of my Edelstein inks are super shaders, and with a wet-enough nib have decent saturation, too.

58 minutes ago, N1003U said:

very nice pens!

Thanks! I have several of the old M200 demos from the late 90s, I think? I feel like I’m filling out the set with the additional colors. Though I’m kicking myself for not picking up a purple one.

I wasn’t that excited when the Edelsteins first came out,. I was going through a super saturated and bulletproof phase. They’ve really grown on me. You’re so right about the shading. I’ve got a lot of italic nibs on my old demos. I should see how they show that shading, as you wisely have noted.