• DilettanteG

• N1003U

• carola

• Lam1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, mana said:

Thanks! :)

Lovely! 😍 That is among my favourite pen & nib combinations (400 Tortoise and BB), especially with that earlier/period correct ”script” nib (it just feels so nice on paper) :)

Thank you and appreciate it! 

On 8/31/2023 at 11:16 AM, senzen said:

Those nib wdth comparisons are very useful, thank you.

Thank you! The line line width becomes so subjective across brands and same brand with different nib sizes.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, mana said:

Once again, not a pen… but something wonderful my way will come… ;)

IMG_4974.jpeg

What is it? A stamp pad?

1 hour ago, carola said:

What is it? A stamp pad?

A bakelite (Kunstharz) retail pen case for the Pelikan 100 & Pelikan 200 mechanical pencil set. Will post more pics once I receive it (hopefully before next week’s Pelikan Hub).

IMG_4975.jpeg

IMG_4976.jpeg

Could be that it was for a 100N also, some pics can be found in a post about the model 100N in Tacitus's wonderful thread "Dating Pelikan Fountain Pen"...

10 hours ago, mana said:

A bakelite (Kunstharz) retail pen case for the Pelikan 100 & Pelikan 200 mechanical pencil set. Will post more pics once I receive it (hopefully before next week’s Pelikan Hub).

IMG_4975.jpeg

IMG_4976.jpeg

Could be that it was for a 100N also, some pics can be found in a post about the model 100N in Tacitus's wonderful thread "Dating Pelikan Fountain Pen"...

Thank you @mana for mentioning the thread😄.

What is the case made of? Celluloid? Bakelite?

Please visit my website Modern Pelikan Pens for the latest information. It is updating and correcting original articles posted in "Dating Pelikan fountain Pen".

No worries, @tacitus, that thread is chock full of interesting and valuable information! :)

Pelikan refers to the material the case is made of as "kunstharz", which translates to synthetic resin. So, in essence, most likely Bakelite. Pelikan used it quite a bit, for example, the no. 4 pen holders were made of the same stuff, as were their typewriter ribbon cases, etc.

More modern thermoplastic materials superseded them during the 1940s, as they had simpler chemical structures, were easier to manufacture and process, and were also more elastic and impact resistant (bakelite can hold its form well in everyday use but can crack on impact, etc.). Synthetic resins are still used when some of their material properties are deemed superior, for example, the "precious resin" in a certain manufacturer's pens, etc. :D

”Oooops, I did it again…” 😅

Pelikan N.4 pen stand in mottled black and silver bakelite… which not-so-coincidentally matches the pen case mentioned previously. ;)

I already have an early 100N & appropriate Pelikan mechanical pencil, those will make for a really nice set. :)

IMG_4979.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, mana said:

And here they are...

And of course you have some very nice pens to put in there. ☝️

For me, it's been a late 1980s NOS P10 Twist (teal with pink trim), courtesy of Endless Pens, from last week's Pelikan Hub.  Forget what the nib on it is, and have not yet tried it (I still have to flush out any residual manufacturing gunk); it came with a cartridge of what I presume is 4001 Brilliant Black, but I'll be looking for a converter for it at the Ohio Pen Show come November.  

Oh, and of course the regular swag from the Hub -- a bottle of Edelstein Rose Quartz (a fill of which is currently gracing the M405 Stresemann, B nib).  

Not sure if I've mentioned the bottle of 4001 Blue Black that I got a couple of months ago from Cult Pens (which I'm now DEFINITELY going to have to get a backup bottle of at some point -- it's one of those inks I NEVER want to be without... :thumbup:).  I just keep refilling the M205 Blue Marbled with it even though it's an IG ink, just because it's such a well behaved, pretty color.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 1 month later...

Hi, there,

I found this little pen recently. Looks like a 1932/33 Pelikan 100 (four captube holes, four captop chicks, straight section, nib size imprint in the right place)It has a cosmetic issue though - a misaligned nib hole punching tool scar possibly during manufacturing, or a later inexpert abusive attempt of “fixing something”, perheps. Fortunately, it doesn’t impair or otherwise affect the writing performance of this early F nib.

IMG_3006.jpeg.c2bf9c2bd1828150d27f1be4a5583de5.jpeg

Please, pardon this low resolution photo.

Arrived today, a nice little M150 (New).

Pelikanm150New.jpg

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

Albert Einstein

@Andy1883 Very nice set, really wonderful presentation box. I've never seen that box design before.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Hi @tacitus, I bought it as a set, but I don't know if it is the original box.  Hopefully, someone will know.

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

Albert Einstein