Adding To The Flock

mana

Thanks Mizgeorge, I agree with you! For me, Lagarto is the most interesting finish on a Pelikan. It's really special.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• N1003U

• carola

• Lam1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Switala said:

Thank you Carola. The Lizard was inspired by hers, since you bought yours, I couldn't stop wanting one. They are very beautiful, I can say that they hypnotize. As a bonus it has a very flexible tip.

Pelikan 101 Lizard write.jpg

I am glad you got one then. And I hope you will enjoy your pen a lot. Those are indeed special.

image.jpeg.14e8ad763ccd83cfa9b627733b276a94.jpeg

Two fantastic, rarest birds, @Switala  Extremely hard to find with an affordable price tag nowadays.

The short captop “military” tortoise is a legend in itself. I’ve seen only one live. The “lizard” seems to be probably the most prized one, after Toledo. What a luck, catching both at once!

Would you please be kind to post the close view photos of the nibs?

Stoen, thanks for the compliments. The 101 have been fetching unbelievable values at auction... I have never seen a Short Tortoise in person. This is fully functional, just a cleaning and lubrication to put ink and write. Below are photos of the nibs.

Pelikan 101 Lizard nib.jpg

Pelikan 101 Turtle nib1.jpg

Fantastic pictures of great nibs. The “lizard” seems a BB, the “military” is likely an M.

According to the embossing, the “lizard” seems to be an earlier pen (1937 or 1938). 
Both appear to be export models. BTW, which colors are the cap top and the mechsnism on the “military” pen?

Enjoy your writing!

My most “valuable” models are the so-called “dark tortoise” (a very rare, short lived “strain” from some central European factories, 1938/39)  :

51A74708-32D7-43DD-AE0A-5840E88AB194.jpeg.efa5a4a518bcbd7f135f13f238f16877.jpeg

Stoen, you're right, the Turtle's Nib has an "M" marking. The Lizard is unmarked but appears to have been modified. It writes well, like "BB" and intense flex.
The color of the Tartaruga cap is not fully revealed until it is removed, it is a plastic late model, engraved: "Pelikan Günther Wagner". Red color. The untanned part matches the mechanism perfectly.
Your Dark Turtle is very special, I'm always on the lookout for this model, who knows with this streak of luck another bird might be attracted to Perch...
Cheers to all of us and our Fountain Pens.

Pelikan 101 Lizard Turtle end cap.jpg

Pelikan 101 Turtle short cap.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't ordered any pens recently (gaming and building two new PCs) but I was perusing ebay because my boss gave me a gift card for my birthday and stumbled on a very reasonably-priced M400 White Tortoise EF and included a free bottle of Iro (I took Ku-jaku). Now, I know I said I wouldn't buy another white Pelikan but ...

eta - Seller almost immediately emailed me, "sorry, out of EF, can I cancel your order?" It's a Souveran, naturally I want an EF, so sure. Ordered from Cult instead, $10 cheaper and free shipping. No Iro, though.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

On 5/28/2023 at 9:27 AM, chromantic said:

Haven't ordered any pens recently (gaming and building two new PCs) but I was perusing ebay because my boss gave me a gift card for my birthday and stumbled on a very reasonably-priced M400 White Tortoise EF and included a free bottle of Iro (I took Ku-jaku). Now, I know I said I wouldn't buy another white Pelikan but ...

eta - Seller almost immediately emailed me, "sorry, out of EF, can I cancel your order?" It's a Souveran, naturally I want an EF, so sure. Ordered from Cult instead, $10 cheaper and free shipping. No Iro, though.

play rts games?

• 2 weeks later...

Just won on German Ebay............something I'd been wanting for a long time. A tortoise 400nn.

and it is a very bright one...don't know if it's black or dark brown.Other pictures look black.

The Etue is not original, but that' ok.

It looks a touch brighter than my Pelikan 500 and transition 400 tortoises.

uffnBIW.jpg

Stoen, your collection is outstanding. That odd green stripped 140, the Lizard and the two full tortoise....wow...cubed!

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

+1 to what N1003U said....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

On 5/30/2023 at 11:42 PM, TitoThePencilPimp said:

play rts games?

No, never got into rts. I bought The Outer Worlds in early April to test out the first PC, played through it 3 times, then spent a few days playing Soma and now having a blast with Diablo 3, already on my 3rd toon.

The White Tortoise arrived Friday. Inked it up with Hatsukoi(?), nice but already have it in a PG Slim. Flushed it when I got home and filled it with Lux Grey instead, much better match.

The pen itself is quite lovely, I'm more pleased with it than I expected to be and can see using it with some regularity. The EF is smooth with just enough feedback. Very satisfied with this purchase.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

• 2 weeks later...

Just negotiated the purchase of a B-nib Black-Striped Pelikan 400 (seemingly in very nice condition) and its original box.

Ended up paying quite a bit more than the initial price in the listing (the seller noticed that "Hey, it has gold in the nib!", etc.) but since it was bought from a poor student in need of money, and I wanted it... I managed to broker a deal that was still amenable to me and gave the seller a 30% premium on top of the initial price.

I am just allergic to situations where the listing states a sale price, and then the seller realizes that they could make more and start hiking the price up, even going so far as to pull up prices of modern pens with 14k nibs... but I understood the motivation, they wanted the best price out of their nugget of gold, and I was well within my means to sweeten the deal. It wasn't a sumgai price but within the low end of the price range for what you can estimate to find such pens in. And if it is in as good a condition as the pics let me know, well, then the price was affordable, dare I even say, a bargain. :P

Pelikan 400 Black Stripe - In a box.jpg

Pelikan 400 Black Stripe - B-nib.jpg

Just got the pen, it is externally in a really good shape (near mint, even), but the piston seal had detached from the piston shaft and was stuck in the front of the ink chamber.

I managed to coax the whole thing apart with gentle heat, and even more gentle applied force. I soaked all the parts to dissolve all of the dried ink.

Good things? It is pretty mint inside too, with excellent barrel clarity. :) And now I just put it together with a new piston seal (from Davin N.) and some silicone grease, inked it with Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black and tried out the nib... 😍

Really nice, smooth, crisp, and flexy B. It is of the later logo/chevron type (or the fir/xmas tree nib) but without the gap between the chevrons and the nib slit... Not quite what the almost ethereal feeling, earlier, script-style nibs in 100N and 400 can offer on nice paper (tried them on Rhodia) but a great nib in its own right, offering nice natural line variation (without pressure). It is also "kinda juicy", trying to see if it will settle down with use (currently inked with Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black).

Overall I am really happy about this pen because it is my first Black-Striped 400 and a really nice one at that. A welcome addition to the collection. ❤️

21 minutes ago, mana said:

Just got the pen, it is externally in a really good shape (near mint, even), but the piston seal had detached from the piston shaft and was stuck in the front of the ink chamber.

I managed to coax the whole thing apart with gentle heat, and even more gentle applied force. I soaked all the parts to dissolve all of the dried ink.

Good things? It is pretty mint inside too, with excellent barrel clarity. :) And now I just put it together with a new piston seal (from Davin N.) and some silicone grease, inked it with Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black and tried out the nib... 😍

Really nice, smooth, crisp, and flexy B. It is of the later logo/chevron type (or the fir/xmas tree nib) but without the gap between the chevrons and the nib slit... Not quite what the almost ethereal feeling, earlier, script-style nibs in 100N and 400 can offer on nice paper (tried them on Rhodia) but a great nib in its own right, offering nice natural line variation (without pressure). It is also "kinda juicy", tyring to see if it will settle down with use (currently inked with Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black).

Overall I am really happy about this pen because it is my first Black-Striped 400 and a really nice one at that. A welcome addition to the collection. ❤️

Really cool, mana. A saved bird is a good bird. 🤗

17 hours ago, carola said:

Really cool, mana. A saved bird is a good bird. 🤗

That it indeed is. ;)

...and now I need to set up a purchase of some new replacement piston seals from David... where did they all go??? 🤔

The black striped 400 is one of my favorite.

On my side, I have just added a black Pelikan 100 to my flock:

IMG_8273.thumb.jpeg.ee1082f875e158285f0842cf7be469e6.jpeg

the green PFM V and the senior Duofold are additional bonuses 😂.

Alfredo

• 2 weeks later...

For me, not a pen, but when I was putting in an order a couple of weeks ago from Cult Pens, I tossed a bottle of 4001 Blue Black ink into the cart, and now filled the M205 Blue Marbled with it.  

Liking the color a lot.  Can't tell for certain if it's still an IG ink or not, but I'm thinking it might be, since it definitely changed color from blue to blue-black when it dried, at least on the Miquelrius journal paper this morning.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

4 hours ago, Tom Kellie said:

image.thumb.jpeg.db71001e7b8662dab80f1d614fc0a872.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.de06d83341d41698bd3095ae60070ba0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.109240a7433d5f67e7146596b22c11b8.jpeg

I was done purchasing Pelikans, but this picture sold me. Just purchased one! That is a very nice grind. Who does the grinds for Fritz?