Adding To The Flock

mana

2 hours ago, alfredop said:

Caps and turning knobs are black, nib seems to me a standard nib of that time (it is an F with an hint of flex).

Looks like a pre-1964 pen.

Is there a clicking sound when closing and opening the cap? If so, your pen may be from 1959. Various sources state that this safety mechanism against accidental opening in the pocket was built only in the 1959 series of 400NN.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• N1003U

• carola

• Lam1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, stoen said:

Looks like a pre-1964 pen.

Is there a clicking sound when closing and opening the cap? If so, your pen may be from 1959. Various sources state that this safety mechanism against accidental opening in the pocket was built only in the 1959 series of 400NN.

Yes, both pen have a click when closing the cap, I thought it was a defect in the threads.

Alfredo

My 140 also makes the clicking noise when opening/closing the cap. Has the thinner clip and embossed logo on the cap, making it at least 1954.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

8 hours ago, chromantic said:

My 140 also makes the clicking noise when opening/closing the cap. Has the thinner clip and embossed logo on the cap, making it at least 1954.

That seems right, @chromantic. My 140 conforms a similar description (it has “Pelikan 140” on the barrel too), and is of 1954. An earlier pen wouldn’t have the “logo” nib, but the “script” nib instead.

🙂

On the other hand, I saw no evidence which would back the question if the 400NN had this mechanism in 1957/58, but it is possible too...

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I just got this pen. It was neglected, terribly dirty, almost mummified in dried ink. 

Fortunately, upon having received some cleaning treatments, it showed no cracks, scratches, defects or rot. The celluloid barrel, although darkened with decades of age and use to amber brown, stayed in perfect shape, transparency and condition. The pen only needed re-corking!

999F49F0-C12B-431A-BA7E-BA7E2895CD59.jpeg.f6e1a034dacd4778e976961c65af1389.jpeg

It is a 1938 #100 (new logo),

77955A4A-1FDA-40C4-A5A1-F6847C4B7051.jpeg.bf45c310fd96519aa6bbfea60d29cdf2.jpeg

with a 585 springy F nib:

ECB7DDA6-0625-48E0-B399-6EFBD930F168.jpeg.f30aefa511c69698a0d483537c1c4a08.jpeg

Unless consistently mistreated, the Pelikan 100 is an incredibly “generous” and low maintenence pen, a champion in user friendliness, IMHO. I am amazed at how simple and easy its taking apart and reassembling to full functionality can be, even after 83 years of life including few decades of neglect!

Hope you’ll like it.

🙂

On 12/2/2021 at 2:32 PM, N1003U said:

That is what I would call a "music" nib! :)

😀

Thanks, but not indeed, since the true Pelikan music nibs with two air holes and two almost parallel slits are extremely rare and hard to find (I haven’t had one in my hands so far). Yet, this particular pen (and few other vintage Pelikan pens I use, and a 1949 MB144) have such a great ink flow control and so responsive nibs, that I can also use them for writing music…

Thanks again for your nice comment, @N1003U.

👍

Great arrival! Congrats! The second from the left looks like a rare pre-1952 #400, although the “Günther Wagner Pelikan 400” inscription on the barrel top seems to be missing (?) …

9 hours ago, stoen said:

Great arrival! Congrats! The second from the left looks like a rare pre-1952 #400, although the “Günther Wagner Pelikan 400” inscription on the barrel top seems to be missing (?) …

Thank you, @stoen!

The gray  one does have an engraving on the barrel, near the piston (my pic is too poor to show it). But it  is not the same you mention. In fact, it is two lines: "Export" in the first, and "Günther Wagner Pelikan" in the second line. 

11 hours ago, Lam1 said:

These arrived in November. 

IMG_0206.thumb.JPG.5970e18807a7f983b5b452a52d8164da.JPG

Oh, I've been looking for a 500NN. You have a lovely example there.

3 hours ago, Lam1 said:

In fact, it is two lines: "Export" in the first, and "Günther Wagner Pelikan" in the second line. 

Yes, what I mentioned was for german market.

Then you have a very rare vintage pen in a near mint condition!

What is the nib grade & flexibility?

Ill post a pic of mine maybe tomorrow. 

A pelikan m200 Tortoise, that I bought from a member here at an affordable price when the classified sections was up. Came with original papers, box, and pen was in perfect condition. Although slight plating loss of the gold plated nib. 

Pelikan m1000 Green/Black (ef) purchased a few months ago.

Oh, and I finally was able to complete my m101n collection. By adding a m101n lizard. This was an impulse buy, but I was able to get a good deal on a used one. However, there is a bit of wiggle in the piston. Ie., it does not lock completely. Out of my 30 Pelikans, this is the only one that has this issue. Hoping that this issue does not cause problems with the piston further down the road. How much does a piston repair run for?

3 hours ago, debraji said:

Oh, I've been looking for a 500NN. You have a lovely example there.

Thanks. 

They do pop up from time to time. 

I hope you get yours soon.

1 hour ago, stoen said:

Yes, what I mentioned was for german market.

Then you have a very rare vintage pen in a near mint condition!

What is the nib grade & flexibility?

Thank you, @stoen! That is very good to know.

I have been lucky with the 400's so far. Since I did get a hard to obtain green/green a couple of years back.

The one shown above has what seems to me (it is not marked, neither on the nib nor of the piston) a very, very flexible M nib.

I don't have a writing sample yet because I'm still cleaning up the pen.

@TitoThePencilPimp, congrats on your new purchases, and particularly on completing the M101n mini-collection - those pens are a joy to use. I hope the piston doesn't cause any trouble!

14 hours ago, Lam1 said:

The one shown above has what seems to me (it is not marked, neither on the nib nor of the piston) a very, very flexible M nib.

Great, and very similar to my early 400 of 1951, which is noble brown tortoise and has the flexiest F nib I’ve ever come across. Such pens are hard to find if you look for them, but if you’re lucky to come across one, you have to react swiftly, because who knows when there’ll be the next chance.

🙂

7 hours ago, stoen said:

Great, and very similar to my early 400 of 1951, which is noble brown tortoise and has the flexiest F nib I’ve ever come across. Such pens are hard to find if you look for them, but if you’re lucky to come across one, you have to react swiftly, because who knows when there’ll be the next chance.

🙂

You put it very well!

I actually never actively search for specific hard to get pens.

But I do keep an eye out for them and should one show up, I'll snatch it 😊.

The gray one was like that, I was just looking at a vendor online and they put it up at that very moment!

Sometimes a little luck comes into play: I bought my rare green/green 400 thinking I was getting a regular green/black on eBay.

15 hours ago, Lam1 said:

Sometimes a little luck comes into play

Yes, I agree! Thanks.

My best writing #400 class pens are the super-flex brown early 400 I wrote about, and a green-striped “OF” nibbed 400N (not NN!). Both also heppen to be rather rare pens.

🙂

During the last week, two Pelikans got added to my little flock:

Pelikan M805 Blue Dunes (B nib):

It had been sitting in a display case at my local stationery shop for two years and I finally took it home last week.

Pelikan 500 Tortoise with a matching pencil and a colourwise equally matching pen case (looking like snake skin), probably from the same era. The pen is marked F on the body, but the unmarked nib turned out to be a nice stubby B nib, which neither surprised me as I had already thought the nib shown in the pictures could never be an F nib, nor is it a setback to me as I genuinely love those B nibs whereas F nibs aren´t my piece of cake.

This golden set had taken its time to arrive here from Spain (about a month), but today it was finally sitting outside my door when I stepped out, waiting for me to carry it into its new home.

I haven´t inked it up yet (just dipped it a little to take a look at how the nib does), but the piston moves fairly easily. I am thinking about polishing the body a little bit and the pen´s clip seems to be slightly bent away from the cap. There are also two small dings in the cap but with the clip positioned above them they completely disappear.

The pencil is in working order (the body will get a slight polish, too) and the pen case is in fairly nice condition. I think I got myself something really pretty there.

In my opinion the 500 tortoise is the nicest Pelikan with maybe the exception of the 100/101 Tortoise. I was fortunate to find the same 500 pen and pencil set, with OBB nib and it is my pride and joy.

1 hour ago, carola said:

[snipped....]Pelikan 500 Tortoise with a matching pencil and a colourwise equally matching pen case (looking like snake skin), probably from the same era. [snipped]

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams