Adding To The Flock

mana

That's a very nice grail pens you've bagged. Occasionally. the DNA "Nature" version of that set comes up and I get very tempted to empty out my wallet for it.

I think one of the joys of collecting pens (and rationalization for them) is the tactile pleasure of writing with them. But, they're never really NOS stock again after that. It comes down to if it's an investment for your exciting pen museum, or a personal accessory I guess. For me it's always been the later, but I'm sure my collection has decreased in value because of it. I guess I'd still rather use it and accept the consequences. Which do you think you'll actually enjoy more?

+1

There are all three of them on Ebay right now...

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Pelikan-Limited-Edition-Triologie-Expo-von-1998-2000-mit-besonderer-Nr-Neu/184504484867?hash=item2af5530403:g:8EMAAOSwTYlfgBO1

Am I tempted? Of course.

Am I in a position to spend a minimum of € 3.330,00 (that´s the starting bid) on pens after just having trashed my car plus having had to buy a new one? Uhmmmm... nope.

Plus that´s a category where the question of writing the pen or not starts to get interesting. And as I definitely favor pens I can write without losing a lot of money, I should probably stick with looking at pictures of these pens.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• N1003U

• carola

• Lam1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow...

:wub:

+1

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Pelikan-Limited-Edition-Triologie-Expo-von-1998-2000-mit-besonderer-Nr-Neu/184504484867?hash=item2af5530403:g:8EMAAOSwTYlfgBO1

Am I tempted? Of course.

Am I in a position to spend a minimum of € 3.330,00 (that´s the starting bid) on pens after just having trashed my car plus having had to buy a new one? Uhmmmm... nope.

Plus that´s a category where the question of writing the pen or not starts to get interesting. And as I definitely favor pens I can write without losing a lot of money, I should probably stick with looking at pictures of these pens.

It’s very pretty.

I don’t have any idea what it cost. My first reaction is pens are for writing.

Maybe display it for awhile, then use it if/when you are ready.

That's a very nice grail pens you've bagged. Occasionally. the DNA "Nature" version of that set comes up and I get very tempted to empty out my wallet for it.

I think one of the joys of collecting pens (and rationalization for them) is the tactile pleasure of writing with them. But, they're never really NOS stock again after that. It comes down to if it's an investment for your exciting pen museum, or a personal accessory I guess. For me it's always been the later, but I'm sure my collection has decreased in value because of it. I guess I'd still rather use it and accept the consequences. Which do you think you'll actually enjoy more?

TBH I didn't need much convincing :P I use all of my pens and I don't consider my collection an investment, nor do I really think it would devalue it that much. The vermeil has a bit of tarnish on it so it's not in a perfect condition anyway. I also saw that eBay auction but dropping 3300€ would be too much. edit: worth mentioning that that ebay auction has been there for a while (few weeks, maybe even 1-2 months) but eBay is often way overpriced. Dedicated fountain pen classifieds places have better prices and at least eBay won't take a huge cut from the seller.

I also got the nibs from the post office today so I'm using them at the moment but at the next round I'll ink up that Technology :D

wCS4qnT.jpg

Edited by MateB

+1

Am I tempted? Of course.

Awesome find! The nature version is burgundy with a DNA double helix in gold, which I don’t see pictured in the listing. I also don’t read German, so I’ve no idea what the listing says. :( Not that it matters, I’m resisting anything new for my pen, ink, and paper collection. partly because I have more writing toys than I can comfortably enjoy at this point, and partly because I need to spend a painful amount of cash on the old homestead. Remodeling and home repairs make pens look cheap.

Awesome find! The nature version is burgundy with a DNA double helix in gold, which I don’t see pictured in the listing. I also don’t read German, so I’ve no idea what the listing says. :( Not that it matters, I’m resisting anything new for my pen, ink, and paper collection. partly because I have more writing toys than I can comfortably enjoy at this point, and partly because I need to spend a painful amount of cash on the old homestead. Remodeling and home repairs make pens look cheap.

"Pelikan Limited Edition ,Triologie Expo von 1998-2000 mit Special Nr. 1620, die Expo fand statt am 1.6.2000, alle Geräte sind neu mit der original Expo Box die auch neu ist, leider habe ich vergessen das Modell Humankind zu fotografieren im Detail, aber natürlich ist der auch neu mit der gleichen Federstärke wie die Anderen."

Pelikan Limited Edition, Trilogy Expo from 1998 - 2000 with the special number 1620 (the Expo was on the 1st June 2000), all pens are new with the original Expo box (new too), unfortunately I forgot to photograph the model Humankind, but of course it´s new, too, and with the same nib size as the others.

(I´m sorry, the original is written in appallingly bad German which is reflected in the translation. And with "the Expo was on the 1st June 2000" he/she obviously wants to say that´s when the Expo 2000 was opened.)

@ DilettanteG: "Nature" is the green one. The burgundy one is "Humankind".

Edited by carola

101N White Tortoise 400 M605 719 Toledo M1000 (at the bottom) Luigi Colani BP (on the right laying down) 70's FP (not sure of the model).

pelikans .jpg

Edited by Doug C

the Danitrio Fellowship

Doug C, very artistical photography and lovely collection! Thank you for sharing.

Edited by Barutti

Doug C, very artistical photography and lovely collection! Thank you for sharing.

Thanks for the compliment but nothing about the photo was intentionally artistic. I am just a crummy photographer.

the Danitrio Fellowship

• 1 month later...

After picking up gold and brown marbled M200s last year when the gold came out, I felt I was done for awhile. Middle of November, I stumbled on a NOS orange M320 at missing-pen, kinda pricey but within reason, so I pulled the plug. I also found a brand new 2016 Brown Tortoise M400, very reasonable, so I jumped on that, too. International shipping volume must be slow atm because both arrived the 4th day after ordering them.

They are both stunningly beautiful; the Tortoise especially is as spectacular as everyone says (perhaps even edging out my Blue-striped M400). I've inked the M320 with Stipula Saffron and paired the Tortoise with Macassar, both perfectly compliment the pens. I couldn't be happier, so happy, in fact, that I finally dug out my Ruby M320 which I've never used and inked it up for the 1st time. I've gotten comments on all 3 from customers at work. My only disappointment has been FPN being down for so long and not being able to share the news.

I hope everyone is safe and well and has a lovely holiday despite the current situation.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Ahhhhh... finally back! Feels so good! Ok, here is what I have gotten during this period that the FPN was closed down for business (and yes, I suppose most of the people here have seen this already)... just going to resort to copypasta this time.

--

And then there were two... vintage Pelikan desk pen holders, that is! smile.png

Got a bit worried as the latest addition to the flock was three weeks due. Well, it finally arrived so there it is. 🙂
Also featured... some other Pelikan paraphernalia, such as the Pelikan thumbtacks made in the 1930s (they have a wonderfully detailed four chic Pelikan logo as an imprint) or the bakelite capped and Wagenfeld-designed ink bottle from the same era.

These were sold for Pelikan 100, 100N & 400 series pens so that places them somewhere between the 1930s to 1950s.

The one on the left is the newcomer. It is most likely made somewhere between late 1930s to early 1940s. The one on the right is a later version. There are few major differences between the two...

spacer.png

The older version is more crudely made and finished, it is also thinner.

spacer.png

The older has the Pelikan branding on the bottom. The later model made away with this and has a stabilizing metal plate there instead. Makes a lot of sense as bakelite, the material these both are made of, is very lightweight.

spacer.png

Here is a better picture of the base...

spacer.png

It <is> nice to be back, isn't it?  I like your pen holders, mana; but don't you worry that they will cause marks on your pen barrels?

5 minutes ago, Christopher Godfrey said:

It <is> nice to be back, isn't it?  I like your pen holders, mana; but don't you worry that they will cause marks on your pen barrels?

Nope, they are bakelite and do not touch the barrels aside from the end of the section. I noticed some marks from using the ceramic Pelikan pen holders (the bird statues) but of these? None. It causes less friction or abrasion than posting the cap.

I mean, they rest on the end of the section and the inner diameter of those holders is a fair bit larger than the barrel outer diameter (so there is room for inserting them in and out without fuss).

Should really look into modeling these in 3D and printing some... or maybe Pelikan could do that? Need to give them a ping....

Understood, mana!  Double-nice, then!  ☺️

We just had our second lockdown here, but as of today shops may open again. As I had a bit of extra money to spend, I went to the local book/paper/pen-shop and had a look at the pens there. Apart from seeing a lot of pretty non-Pelikan pens (Faber-Castell, Waldmann, Parker, Lamy,...), I got to see the completely red M101 N live and in person (really nice!), was allowed to test write a green M1000 with BB-nib (never had one in my hand before, also not planning on buying one as it is humongous although it´s true, the nib is completely different from the modern Pelikan nail nibs and nice to write) and then I saw this little M205 Olivine lying there on display, a pen I had often thought about buying in the recent years. Turns out it had a B-nib, which is exactly what I want, and the shop currently has a "20 % off on one item of your choice" Christmas-offer. So... the Olivine is mine now. My first M200/205, let´s see how I like the steel nib and if not, I´ll just swap it for a completely rhodinated M405 nib.

All in all, it was a very satisfying shopping-trip. 😁

@mana: Very nice findings! I particularly like those thumbtacks!

^^ Grats on the Olivine, Carolla! It's a beautiful color and one which I've debated adding to my collection.

I got an email from ebay that a seller was offering me "a discount on an item I had expressed interest in". It's a pen + ink gift set so, no, the only interest I might have expressed was simply checking out the listing at some point.

It's the Smoky Quartz set and for $75 I figured, why not?

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Thanks, chromantic.

As for the "interest", I´ve gotten offers like that for items I put on my watchlist.

The Smoky Quartz is also a very nice pen (and the price is pretty good!), but of all those transparent M200s, it was always the Olivine I thought I might like to actually own.

Obviously, unlike other birds, Pelikans do breed in the middle of winter... 😉