Adding To The Flock

mana

Just received my M600 Torq. It was in the mail for about a month. The red m101n was purchased two months ago.

But the pen I am really excited about is the grey marble I purchased from SpearBob. The price was great and the condition was in like new. I actually prefer the marble pattern to the stripes, and hope one day Pelikan makes Souverans with a marbled pattern.

I think I am done now. Except hunting for a m101n Lizard at a reasonable price, maybe a m101n grey/blue (still iffy, but maybe I should complete the set since I have 3 already), and an m1000 Black.

I was set to purchase the m600 vibrant orange, but the images I have seen with the black showing through the cap have made me rethink. I dont mind translucent parts on a pen, if its done in a color matching way..., but Pelikan dropped the ball.

The m1000 Black is always available, so I am in no rush to buy it.

That is a lovely set of pens, TitoThePencilPimp! I never realized that set notation looked so good in bright blue! :P What is the ink you are using?

What do you think of the Turquoise now that it is in front of you? Do you like the color as much as you thought you would? The Turquoise is one of my favorites among my M6xx flock, and the M6xx is my preferred Pelikan model for its size, weight, and balance.

Surprisingly the Violet-White doesn't do as much for me as I thought. It is part of my regular rotation, but often goes back into storage after one fill. The Transparent-White is fun, too, but it is such a pain (for me anyway) to completely clean, that it only sees limited action, usually when I have a new ink to show off. The Turquoise-White and the Tortoise-White though are almost always inked. After reports in these pages and now a personal experience from my brother-in-law with a cracked cap, I have, however, become a little paranoid and extra careful with the white-resin Pelikans.

Your grey marble is intriguing. I need to check one out.

I am also wondering what Peikan will drop this fall to compliment the Edelstein Moostone ink, a simple translucent grey (would be consistent with previous models in the series), or maybe something fancier, like a silver version of the gold marbled (he said, while trying to imagine the possibilities)? It will be interesting is see what appears.

I too, was never all that excited about the M600 Vibrant Orange, but I still have fantasies of finding an M600 Pink at somewhere close to a reasonable price (reasonable in my book for a collectable pen is generally

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• N1003U

• carola

• Lam1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pelikan 101N Tortoise with golden B nib from 1938/1939, produced in Danzig/Gdansk, that has been written but is very nicely preserved, which suits me perfectly.

A purchase that almost seems boring after reading this thread... (same model but a little earlier than mine, which hasn´t got the rare 4 chick logo on the cap)

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/353798-calculated-risk-or-beginers-mistake-pelikan-101n/

Nice!

That is a lovely set of pens, TitoThePencilPimp! I never realized that set notation looked so good in bright blue! :P What is the ink you are using?

What do you think of the Turquoise now that it is in front of you? Do you like the color as much as you thought you would? The Turquoise is one of my favorites among my M6xx flock, and the M6xx is my preferred Pelikan model for its size, weight, and balance.

Surprisingly the Violet-White doesn't do as much for me as I thought. It is part of my regular rotation, but often goes back into storage after one fill. The Transparent-White is fun, too, but it is such a pain (for me anyway) to completely clean, that it only sees limited action, usually when I have a new ink to show off. The Turquoise-White and the Tortoise-White though are almost always inked. After reports in these pages and now a personal experience from my brother-in-law with a cracked cap, I have, however, become a little paranoid and extra careful with the white-resin Pelikans.

Your grey marble is intriguing. I need to check one out.

I am also wondering what Peikan will drop this fall to compliment the Edelstein Moostone ink, a simple translucent grey (would be consistent with previous models in the series), or maybe something fancier, like a silver version of the gold marbled (he said, while trying to imagine the possibilities)? It will be interesting is see what appears.

I too, was never all that excited about the M600 Vibrant Orange, but I still have fantasies of finding an M600 Pink at somewhere close to a reasonable price (reasonable in my book for a collectable pen is generally

The Turquoise is my favorite Pelikan along with m101n Brown Tortoise. I was expecting a color closer to Sailor Shikiori Souten (the ink I inked it with). However, I prefer the shade of blue Pelikan chose the most. I dislike dark blues. My wardrobe reflects this. I own no navy shirts on purpose.

I am considering an architect grind from Mr. Masuyama.

The only issue that I have with the Turquoise, is that I know I will stain it due to the blue inks I use. If it stains it stains. So far, no staining on my m400 white tortoise, except for a spot on the threads. I am really considering using a syringe to fill the Turquoise, or only partial fillings (not fully submerging the nib unit).

Im hoping for a m200 demonstrator that is slightly darker than the Moonstone ink.

The only issue that I have with the Turquoise, is that I know I will stain it due to the blue inks I use. If it stains it stains. So far, no staining on my m400 white tortoise, except for a spot on the threads. I am really considering using a syringe to fill the Turquoise, or only partial fillings (not fully submerging the nib unit).

Im hoping for a m200 demonstrator that is slightly darker than the Moonstone ink.

I am left-handed, so an architect grind helps me produce a little more expressive writing without tuning the page sideways. I you are right handed, you may see some additional expression when printing in block script with an architect grind, and/or when writing certain characters in, for example, Hebrew or Arabic.

Threads are a constant bane for me, especially on my white pens. I have not had a staining issue (yet) with my Turquoise-White Pelikan, but I am also careful to wipe the section with a damp cloth or tissue after filling. On the other hand, I have not used any famously staining inks yet, either (so far only 4001 Blue-Black, 4001 Brilliant Black, Iroshizuku Kon-peki, Edelstein Topaz).

It will definitely be interesting to see what "Moonstone compatible" model Pelikan drops this fall.

The Turquoise is my favorite Pelikan along with m101n Brown Tortoise. I was expecting a color closer to Sailor Shikiori Souten (the ink I inked it with). However, I prefer the shade of blue Pelikan chose the most. I dislike dark blues. My wardrobe reflects this. I own no navy shirts on purpose.

This may seem an odd suggestion, but look into the Pineider Pen Filler. It makes it's seal around the section and it should be possible to limit the ink touching the pen to just the very tip of the section (basically where the trim ring is) because of the flared shape of the grip section on a Pelikan (it is widest at the trim ring). This would seal out the ink from getting all over the section.

Maybe test with water first to be sure. It will take some trial and error to know how to position the pen for the best seal. I only have M800's and I only actually use my Pineder Pen Filler for my Pilot 823, but its the same on my Pilot because of the flared shape: no ink past the very tip of the section. I *do* have to be careful how I remove the pen and I always wipe it clean after, though. Drips/runs can happen if you aren't careful.

Edited by sirgilbert357

The 400 arrived today, and yes, exterior condition wise it is absolutely mint. Unfortunately it had been laid aside with a full filling of green ink, most likely Pelikan 4001 series... oh well, soaking it now. :D I do not actually mind as the seller was not at all knowledgeable about fountain pens and everything else was above reproach from communications, packing and speed of delivery to the item matching the description. He also enclosed few trinkets seen below and a sweet handwritten note (well, actually two, one in German and the other in English) thanking me for my handling of my end of the bargain. Stuff like this makes this hobby all the better.

lc76qw5dzkh51.jpg

Edited by mana

Nice! I also love getting little things with my pens and a handwritten note. It´s fun opening the package and finding something unexpected besides the pen you were waiting for impatiently.

A few days ago I got two nibs to try and they were in a tiny box packed up in a rather big box. Because he is nice and to make it easier to find the nib box amid all that packaging material, the guy who sent them had taped the nib box to a package of Manner Wafferl. For those who don´t know them: They are a block of wavers alternating with hazelnut spread, cut up to ready to eat size. Sweet and yummy.

And then, there were six...

eg76.jpg

i2yk.jpg

M100 EF, M205 F x2, M605 F, M600 F, and now what I think is a 400 M.

1bu3.jpg

I was looking for an Olivine M205 but couldn't find it at a decent price and in the mean time stumbled upon a "Mother Green" Sailor 1911S, and this 400 in striped black with nice transparency, even if the piston doesn't go all the way back to the body. Its nib sings a lot, going to give it some time in case it wasn't used for a while.

Edited by SenZen

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

• 2 weeks later...

I started looking at the Pelikan Classic pens, first the Cognac because a pen pal owns one. Then the Smoky Quartz, which I started to like better. Now news is out that the matching Moonstone pen will be out in a set sometime this Fall.

I’m conflicted because I do like brown pens. I really want the Moonstone for the name first, but also because I’d like a gray demonstrator. eBay has some sets of Smoky Quartz for a good price, but from liquidators. Not that they aren’t ok to sell pens, but no warranty. For $30 more there is one sold by a known online store. The set is $99.88 plus $8 shipping, so I could justify buying a preferred nib unit for it, because the widest nib they have is M.

Not knowing the price of the Moonstone set holds me back. At the Pelikan’s Perch blog, there was a question on whether the COVID-19 situation would affect the price.

Posted Image

While I understand the reasoning, I'm bummed that the Pelikan Hubs were cancelled. I couldn't tell from the reviews whether I was going to want Edelstein Moonstone or not....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I like gray inks, and wish we could have had the Hubs. But we are not through the pandemic, so no free ink, and no chance to see it as you mentioned.

I still can’t decide. It’s a pretty good price for a Pelikan and Edelstein ink. I already have a bottle of Smoky Quartz.

I have some insurance payments coming due soon.

Posted Image

Well I am weak, or my little Pelikan flock is strong. Just ordered the Smoky Quartz set, and with my credit card cash back bonus, it cost $102.57. The seller is a liquidator, and has a policy of no returns.

The nib is a medium. I would have preferred broad. It doesn’t matter though, because instead of one day getting the nib ground, it might be cheaper to buy a nib unit. I did get one for my Cafe Creme. It’s more like a stub.

Posted Image

Just ordered the Smoky Quartz set, and with my credit card cash back bonus, it cost $102.57.

If you were to order the Pelikan M200 Brown Marbled with a Broad nib, and a bottle of Edelstein Moonstone ink, from Cult Pens it'd be £71.54 (≈US$95.50) including shipping, before taking into account your credit card cash back bonus, so I'd say the deal you got is pretty good.

The nib is a medium. I would have preferred broad. It doesn’t matter though, because instead of one day getting the nib ground, it might be cheaper to buy a nib unit.

Effective price of £8.41 right now (if you're tacking it onto an order such that there is no standalone/marginal shipping charges). The M200 M nib unit is only £6.92, though, and I could never figure out why there is a >20% premium for F nib and B nib units. I have a M nib unit on order right now, which I expect will be too broad for my tastes as-is, but since it's so cheap I can afford to try my hand at turning it into a Stub.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Recently added two pens to my flock-

1) A (new to me) Pelikan 100 with a Broad CN nib, 1939-'40.

2) An M605 Stresseman with a Fine nib.

The 100 nib is a bit scratchy and the 605 has a bit of baby's bottom, so fixing those are next on the agenda. I also have an old-style M400 nib in OB on the way for my M400 White Tortoise.

Pel.jpg

The 100 nib is a bit scratchy and the 605 has a bit of baby's bottom, so fixing those are next on the agenda. I also have an old-style M400 nib in OB on the way for my M400 White Tortoise.

In that photo, the M605 looks like the M800 Brown striped pen. It must be the lighting. Now, if Pelikan released a M60X in that brown stripey material with a dark brown cap, I'd buy one in a minute.

David

In that photo, the M605 looks like the M800 Brown striped pen. It must be the lighting. Now, if Pelikan released a M60X in that brown stripey material with a dark brown cap, I'd buy one in a minute.

David

Totally agree. I've been thinking about getting an M400 Brown Tortoise from a few years back, but I've decided to wait since I like the 600 models better. It's just a matter of time. Next year, we can hope.

- Jake

Does the 100 nib flex?

Does the 100 nib flex?

It does, I can get it from B-BB/BBB. It's quite nice actually. I'm conservative when flexing because I don't want to spring it (I'm sure it'd be fine, just a personal thing), but it will go up to BB/BBB without too much effort.

- Jake

It does, I can get it from B-BB/BBB. It's quite nice actually. I'm conservative when flexing because I don't want to spring it (I'm sure it'd be fine, just a personal thing), but it will go up to BB/BBB without too much effort.

- Jake

Thats very nice. I always wanted to try a flex nib. I think vintage is not an option for me currently, since I do not know how to restore, nor have the space to do so currently, and some of the prices can get very high for a restored older pelikan.

Have you tried switching inks to see if the baby bottom is due to the ink and not the nib? I put Diamine Chine Blue in my m101n grey/blue, but I noticed baby bottom after letting the ink sit for a week. I then switched to Sailor Yonaga, and no Baby Bottom.