Adding To The Flock

mana

Makes me wish Pelikan would offer these type of special grinds on special order.

It does. https://www.pelikan.com/pulse/Pulsar/en_US_INTL.CMS.displayCMS.252345./make-a-wish-nib

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• N1003U

• carola

• Lam1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am not sure anymore with pandemic changes, but this service was earlier only provided via an on-site visit at the Pelikan facility in Peine. It also appears that Pelikan is not currently taking reservations for this service. Perhaps someone closer to Pelikan can chime in here and offer a clue as to when this service will be available again.

Once Pelikan starts offering this service again, I can heartily recommend it. It is lovely experience, especially if you are a Pelikan fan (and book early, the appointments fill up fast). The nibmiester/in will not let you watch the actual grinding process, but s/he will work with you personally to make sure the grind/tuning is exactly to your liking.

Also, if I remember correctly (at least at the time) you could only get the special grind on a two-tone nib. I am not sure a monotone Rhodium model was available.

… this service was earlier only provided via an on-site visit at the Pelikan facility in Peine.

Yes, I'm aware of that. My wife and I were considering Germany as one of the destinations of our postponed 'honeymoon' trip (not postponed on account of COVID-19 and consequent travel restrictions), and I was going to add a stop just for a visit to Pelikan if the timing could work out.

My point was that "on special order" does not inherently imply someone can place the order from home overseas, either with Pelikan directly or through a retailer, for a customised nib; it does not have to be universally or readily accessible to be "special" or "possible".

It also appears that Pelikan is not currently taking reservations for this service. Perhaps someone closer to Pelikan can chime in here and offer a clue as to when this service will be available again.

There is that, and then there is whether someone from outside of Germany is allowed to travel to Germany at all (completely outside of what Pelikan does or does not offer). Right now Australians cannot leave Australia to travel anywhere, and whether Germany would let an Australian (or Chinese, Mexican, American or Russian) into the country is something else again.

Also, if I remember correctly (at least at the time) you could only get the special grind on a two-tone nib. I am not sure a monotone Rhodium model was available.

According to the page, it's only available for M400, M600, M800 and M1000 nibs, so one must conclude that M405 and M605, etc. would be excluded by omission. The page also specifically mentioned that those are "two-colored golden nibs", so I think you're absolutely right.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Thank you! It looked familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Pelikan has so many LE blue pens. The description kind of reminded me of the Sheaffer Pen for Men or the Bic For Her pens, the latter of which were totally crucified in the Amazon Reviews (a funny read if you have some time).

Edit: And yes, probably totally wrong and childish for me to laugh at the description. It's pretty yikes when I read it again.

Someone posted a link a few years ago for an old TV ad "Buy your husband a PFM for Christmas -- you know he wants one". Sexist BS, but they did show the fill system in the ad and how it worked. Which of course meant I then wanted one -- on general principle if nothing else.... Not sure I'd like the bigger and heavier pen, but I now have a bunch of regular girth Snorkels as a result of that ad being posted....

Unfortunately, the attitude is still pervasive. When I asked Pilot USA a couple of years ago why they sold all these really cool colors of Vanishing Points, but (at that point) only 4 of the colors of Decimos (and the "girly" colors at that -- someone at Goulet Pens said that "Champagne Pink" was their best selling color and I was going "Seriously?! That color is HIDEOUS...") I was told "It's a marketing decision...." Stupee marketing. I didn't want a girl color (my second choice would have been the dark blue). So Pilot USA's loss. I got a grey Decimo on eBay from a seller in Japan. Saved money, even with the cost of economy airmail shipping, and had the pen in my hands in just over a week and a half (even though the seller had warned me that there might be delays because of the time of year -- I had ordered it just before Thanksgiving). And that was ALSO before eBay started collecting sales tax on purchases. So, roughly twenty bucks cheaper, even with the shipping charges, and the color I wanted. Win for me, loss for Pilot USA. And the seller kept his 100% positive feedback rating (and if that seller had something I wanted for a good price, I would not hesitate to hit the "buy" button...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Someone posted a link a few years ago for an old TV ad "Buy your husband a PFM for Christmas -- you know he wants one". Sexist BS, but they did show the fill system in the ad and how it worked. Which of course meant I then wanted one -- on general principle if nothing else.... Not sure I'd like the bigger and heavier pen, but I now have a bunch of regular girth Snorkels as a result of that ad being posted....

Unfortunately, the attitude is still pervasive. When I asked Pilot USA a couple of years ago why they sold all these really cool colors of Vanishing Points, but (at that point) only 4 of the colors of Decimos (and the "girly" colors at that -- someone at Goulet Pens said that "Champagne Pink" was their best selling color and I was going "Seriously?! That color is HIDEOUS...") I was told "It's a marketing decision...." Stupee marketing. I didn't want a girl color (my second choice would have been the dark blue). So Pilot USA's loss. I got a grey Decimo on eBay from a seller in Japan. Saved money, even with the cost of economy airmail shipping, and had the pen in my hands in just over a week and a half (even though the seller had warned me that there might be delays because of the time of year -- I had ordered it just before Thanksgiving). And that was ALSO before eBay started collecting sales tax on purchases. So, roughly twenty bucks cheaper, even with the shipping charges, and the color I wanted. Win for me, loss for Pilot USA. And the seller kept his 100% positive feedback rating (and if that seller had something I wanted for a good price, I would not hesitate to hit the "buy" button...).

Don’t hate the champagne pink Decimo! I love mine. I used to hate girly colors too and then I found out in Victorian times pink was actually the color used for little boys. It’s a tint of red, which was considered more manly than blue. Obviously, genderizing a color’s pretty nutty when you think about it.

Having said that I regret not picking up a M600 pink and white, before the prices hit the stratosphere.

Having said that I regret not picking up a M600 pink and white, before the prices hit the stratosphere.

I did too... I initially thought it a a bit of a girly colour and held back. I eventually changed my mind and got it at a modest premium over the issue price after a long, long search to make up the 'set'. Most go for horrendous prices. I've learned that lesson.

Glenn.

Yes, I'm aware of that. My wife and I were considering Germany as one of the destinations of our postponed 'honeymoon' trip (not postponed on account of COVID-19 and consequent travel restrictions), and I was going to add a stop just for a visit to Pelikan if the timing could work out.

My point was that "on special order" does not inherently imply someone can place the order from home overseas, either with Pelikan directly or through a retailer, for a customised nib; it does not have to be universally or readily accessible to be "special" or "possible".

There is that, and then there is whether someone from outside of Germany is allowed to travel to Germany at all (completely outside of what Pelikan does or does not offer). Right now Australians cannot leave Australia to travel anywhere, and whether Germany would let an Australian (or Chinese, Mexican, American or Russian) into the country is something else again.

According to the page, it's only available for M400, M600, M800 and M1000 nibs, so one must conclude that M405 and M605, etc. would be excluded by omission. The page also specifically mentioned that those are "two-colored golden nibs", so I think you're absolutely right.

Sadly, I can confirm that you can´t have a completely rhodinated nib as a make-a-wish-nib. I got in contact with the people from Pelikan some weeks ago to pose them exactly this question because I would have liked to get one for my Ocean Swirl. The answer was no, it has to be a two-tone-nib.

I was also told there would be reservations possible again roundabout now, but so far I haven´t been able to make an appointment. COVID-19 takes its toll...

Edited by carola

I did too... I initially thought it a a bit of a girly colour and held back. I eventually changed my mind and got it at a modest premium over the issue price after a long, long search to make up the 'set'. Most go for horrendous prices. I've learned that lesson.

Glenn.

Smart! I picked up the M800 Brown and black for the same reason. I've also been eyeing the M800 Renaissance, but I really can't justify any more pens. I've already got more than I can comfortably use, plus four that need to be repaired.

Don’t hate the champagne pink Decimo! I love mine. I used to hate girly colors too and then I found out in Victorian times pink was actually the color used for little boys. It’s a tint of red, which was considered more manly than blue. Obviously, genderizing a color’s pretty nutty when you think about it.

Oh, I agree with you entirely on the M600 pink and white. I didn't think that was a "girly" pink at all (although I was afraid it was going to be a bubblegum pink) -- it was just way more than I could afford at the time (and I remember thinking that it was too heavy for me when I picked up one at a table at a pen show when they were first available). And of course now the prices are completely ridiculous.

I was tempted by the Turquoise and White, too; for some reason I didn't like the look of the White Transparent (but tried someones and it didn't seem as heavy as I remembered the Pink and White being). So when I lucked into a good deal on the Violet and White, I knew that I would likely not get another shot at that good a price ever again (I should see how it does with 4001 Violet; it behaved quite nicely with Edelstein Topaz :wub:).

I've seen pix of some LE Decimo that was from a pen show in Japan, and I could have stomached it. But Champagne Pink? That's just, IMO, a nasty color. Sorry, but.... The light blue and the "burgundy" (which is really more of a berry red) were okay, but really didn't grab me; the purple had the unfortunate tendency of being about the same color as my Platinum Plaisir -- an early purchase and one I ended up not liking for a variety of reasons -- but the Decimo was WAY more expensive.

But the real issue is that the two colors I found MOST attractive of the standard line Decimos -- the light grey and the dark blue -- were ONLY available in Japan at the time (the dark blue is now available in the US but by then I'd already been able to get a grey one, which had been my first choice all along). And yet, for the full size Vanishing Points (which I'd learned from the used one that I ended up giving to my husband were too large and awkward for me)? All sorts of cool colors available: metallic purple, blue with a sort of print, grey with black trim, bright yellow.... The Decimos, though? Not so much. Eight colors, half of which weren't available over here. Why they thought women wouldn't like grey is completely beyond me. I think it's stellar. Just classy looking.

So I ended up bypassing Pilot USA and getting exactly what I wanted -- and for less money. Their loss (shrug). Don't understand their marketing rationale one iota....

I'll admit that a few years ago someone posted photos of a "Hello Kitty" pen that I think Sailor made; it was a really nice color pink. I would have considered buying that pen. But the price! :yikes: And of course there was the little matter of it saying "Hello Kitty" on it.... :sick:

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Not an addition, but the M205 clear demo is departing my flock to nest somewhere else now...the pen is simply too small for my hands. My Ocean Swirl (F) and two M815s (M and F) are staying with me

I don't really find the brown-black to my taste, and I've had two dud nibs with M1005s...for something to come to my flock, it would have to be something really special (like an M1015 metal stripe)

Recently purchased this pen. Although it is my second time buying it. First time, the seller sent me a red tortoise instead. But since the first one was at a good price (below $300 new), I decided to keep it. Now I have 1 brown tortoise, 1 red tortoise, 1 brilliant red (arriving in mail). I may just complete the set. But I dont think I want to pay current lizard prices.3B8B5DCA-9FEE-485F-AC15-3E0D5938F4C0.jpeg

Edited by TitoThePencilPimp

Recently purchased this pen. Although it is my second time buying it. First time, the seller sent me a red tortoise instead. But since the first one was at a good price (below $300 new), I decided to keep it. Now I have 1 brown tortoise, 1 red tortoise, 1 brilliant red (arriving in mail). I may just complete the set. But I dont think I want to pay current lizard prices. 3B8B5DCA-9FEE-485F-AC15-3E0D5938F4C0.jpeg

You can buy a blue/grey and stay patient until a lizard at a good price shows up... :)

You can buy a blue/grey and stay patient until a lizard at a good price shows up... :)

Thats one pen I need to see in person or a side by side comparison with the blue marbled. It looks very similar to the blue marbled to my eyes, but I can be wrong. How is the chatoyance of the barrel?

Edited by TitoThePencilPimp

• 2 weeks later...

I know I was not supposed to buy any more pens anytime soon ( Yeeeeeah right... :D ) but I may or may have not ( Oh, yes I did... ) purchase a minty early production Pelikan 400 (EF) with box and papers.

Let's just say that the price was right for the whole thing (especially given the condition of the pen) and that kind of concludes the saga of getting the "basics/must haves" for the 400 series (minty/NOS 400 green stripe and tortoise). Funnily enough, I really do not care for the black ones and the other variants are in the "Very nice but mostly unobtanium" category.

I have daily use versions of both but I wanted to have "Heirloom/Safe queen" versions for my collection as that is one of my favorite pen models alongside the post WWII Pelikan 100N/101N.

Pictures are from the sales posting (seller gave me permission to use them).

fpn_1596627515__pelikan_400_ef_082020_-_

fpn_1596627779__pelikan_400_ef_082020_-_

I love that the first thing the instruction manual says is: Don´t disassemble the pen! :D

Nice catch by the way, mana.

It's so funny. The green stripe is just so iconically Pelikan. I have a 400 from the 1950s that has a OB nib on it it. But I almost never use the pen, in spite of the nib. That color green just doesn't wow me somehow, and never has. And yet just screams "Pelikan".... Now the striated blue? That's the color I lusted after. Ended up getting an M405 (I could have paid a bit less for an M400, but the rhodium trim just set off the blue so nicely... :wub:). And I'm way more likely to reach for that striated blue than any of the other M400 size pens I own, with the exception of my first bird -- a 1990s era M400 Brown Tortoise that I mostly got to do drawing with, and for a very special occasion. (The striated blue M405 I got along with my M400 Stresemann, and are the two most expensive pens I ever bought -- or ANY brand -- and I only was able to afford them due to circumstances that will never happen again....)

I know I was not supposed to buy any more pens anytime soon ( Yeeeeeah right... :D ) but I may or may have not ( Oh, yes I did... ) purchase a minty early production Pelikan 400 (EF) with box and papers.

Let's just say that the price was right for the whole thing (especially given the condition of the pen) and that kind of concludes the saga of getting the "basics/must haves" for the 400 series (minty/NOS 400 green stripe and tortoise). Funnily enough, I really do not care for the black ones and the other variants are in the "Very nice but mostly unobtanium" category.

I have daily use versions of both but I wanted to have "Heirloom/Safe queen" versions for my collection as that is one of my favorite pen models alongside the post WWII Pelikan 100N/101N.

Pictures are from the sales posting (seller gave me permission to use them).

Very, very nice bird, Mana!

Congratulations!

Pelikan 101N Tortoise with golden B nib from 1938/1939, produced in Danzig/Gdansk, that has been written but is very nicely preserved, which suits me perfectly.

A purchase that almost seems boring after reading this thread... (same model but a little earlier than mine, which hasn´t got the rare 4 chick logo on the cap)

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/353798-calculated-risk-or-beginers-mistake-pelikan-101n/

Just received my M600 Torq. It was in the mail for about a month. The red m101n was purchased two months ago.

But the pen I am really excited about is the grey marble I purchased from SpearBob. The price was great and the condition was in like new. I actually prefer the marble pattern to the stripes, and hope one day Pelikan makes Souverans with a marbled pattern.

I think I am done now. Except hunting for a m101n Lizard at a reasonable price, maybe a m101n grey/blue (still iffy, but maybe I should complete the set since I have 3 already), and an m1000 Black.

I was set to purchase the m600 vibrant orange, but the images I have seen with the black showing through the cap have made me rethink. I dont mind translucent parts on a pen, if its done in a color matching way..., but Pelikan dropped the ball.

The m1000 Black is always available, so I am in no rush to buy it.

80E9FBD7-BC93-4F9D-B1B9-847FBD2D80CA.jpeg