Adding To The Flock

mana

The store where I bought the Ductus and Toledo has two m101n that I can buy for € 500 (about $550) for both pens. The pens are brand new. Now I’m in doubt what to do. I’m always in for a good deal, but do I really need these pens?

maybe after a good night sleep the answer will come to me.

That is an excellent price.

And those M101n are simply superb. I resisted for a long time buying one, succumbed to an amazing deal, and now I can't have enough of them.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• N1003U

• carola

• Lam1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@Lam1: to the left of the vintage 400NNs (one with sticker still on the barrel), do I spy a one-year-only 400N???

And the three pens to of the NNs: are those modern M400s or are they vintage 400s? (I have three vintage 400s; but don't ask me how they differ in looks from M400s...I just don't know!)

Super collection! Your (and Hans's) Toledos make me greeeeen with envy.

Thank you, Christopher!

Yes, that is a 400N Tortie (2nd row, 4th pen from the left). That was my first vintage Pelikan in 2018.

The three pens to the right of the 400NN are: a hard to get 400 Green/green (it is not possible to see from the photo, but the cap and blind cap are deep green), an old style Green/Black M400 (W-Germany) and an old style M400 Tortie.

I only started getting vintage Pelikans in the second half of 2018. But, I was very lucky and my first three were the 400N Tortie, the 400 Green/green and the 300.

I have an M600 White Tortoise, an M600 transparent white (the ghost), an M600 blue stripe, an M800 Tortoise from 2013, a recent tortoise M400, a red 205, a black 200. All of these have nibs ground by some of the most amazing nib technicians

But I just got my first vintage Pelikan a week ago , a 1950s tortoise 400 with a semi flex fine nib. And this 70 year old pen has displaced all my others. It is just beautiful and the nib is :wub:

I have an M600 White Tortoise, an M600 transparent white (the ghost), an M600 blue stripe, an M800 Tortoise from 2013, a recent tortoise M400, a red 205, a black 200. All of these have nibs ground by some of the most amazing nib technicians

But I just got my first vintage Pelikan a week ago , a 1950s tortoise 400 with a semi flex fine nib. And this 70 year old pen has displaced all my others. It is just beautiful and the nib is :wub:

Yup... they really are that nice :)

Here are the ones I purchased this year. Still a student, so I dont have that many pens yet. I am waiting on green m600 and M101N Red Tortoise to come in.

image.jpg

Edited by TitoThePencilPimp

These are the ones I owned before I made my recent purchase. I acquired these 4 Pelikans through a 8 year span.

The only Pelikans I want in the future are:

m600 Red

White Turquoise

Brilliant Orange

m101n Green Tortoise

Maybe a Stone Garden (I really like the finish, not sure why it is not popular),

Toledo.

then I will be done!!!

image.jpg

Edited by TitoThePencilPimp

Not a fountain pen but... 🥰The cap is mottled bakelite and going by the 1938 catalog an original one. Seems to be in great shape label and all... will fill it with Pelikan 4001 Blue Black after I clean it and replace the cap seal with a more modern and reliable material. It will become part of my desk accessories and I think it will complement the black bakelite #4 desk stand and any of the Pelikans it happens to host at that time very nicely.

fpn_1589351467__pelikan_vintage_ink_bott

then I will be done!!!>

Ha ha! That's what you think...!! (Be warned!)

...and there is even a 300 (next to the M400 Tortoise). Cool!

C.

Indeed! And that 300 has a B stub nib that is a dream!

These are the ones I owned before I made my recent purchase. I acquired these 4 Pelikans through a 8 year span.

The only Pelikans I want in the future are:

m600 Red

White Turquoise

Brilliant Orange

m101n Green Tortoise

Maybe a Stone Garden (I really like the finish, not sure why it is not popular),

Toledo.

then I will be done!!!

Very nice pens!

But, where are the pencils? :P

Edited by Lam1

Just won an auction for a NOS boxed set of a Pelikan 400 & 450 Tortoise.

The retail box is in good/ok shape (minor crushing on some corners), no discoloration on the cloth inside, FP & MP are in mint condition, sticker on the FP, the works... this is an actual NOS item that was never inked or sold, came from the inventory of a paper/book shop that closed decades ago and the inventory ended up with the son of the owner (the pens had been sitting in that retail box untouched for 50 or so years). Price was also pretty nice, definitely not sumgai but more closer to what you would pay for an ok shape Pelikan 400 Tortoise alone (sub 140€ + S&H).

Other items from that inventory will be coming available on ebay later, should be interesting.

Congratulations Mana, that’s a pretty good deal. A 50 year old pen NOS is hard to find. Pictures would be welcome :)

Congratulations Mana, that’s a pretty good deal. A 50 year old pen NOS is hard to find. Pictures would be welcome :)

Thanks and yeah, will definitely post pics once I get the pens. :)

Just won an auction for a NOS boxed set of a Pelikan 400 & 450 Tortoise.

The retail box is in good/ok shape (minor crushing on some corners), no discoloration on the cloth inside, FP & MP are in mint condition, sticker on the FP, the works... this is an actual NOS item that was never inked or sold, came from the inventory of a paper/book shop that closed decades ago and the inventory ended up with the son of the owner (the pens had been sitting in that retail box untouched for 50 or so years). Price was also pretty nice, definitely not sumgai but more closer to what you would pay for an ok shape Pelikan 400 Tortoise alone (sub 140 + S&H).

Other items from that inventory will be coming available on ebay later, should be interesting.

Sweet!! Congratulations!

I would certainly put that in the Sumguy category.

Oh, almost forgot that I was supposed to post a better picture of the ink bottle I got last week... here goes:

tuva3wyfviz41.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a
”Capturing vintage birds on film in their natural environment is greatly helped by a strategically placed bird feeder of the appropriate type...”

A little info on the bottle that I wrote elsewhere but thought might interest people here too. That is what is commonly called a shoe-shaped ink bottle, I think one of the first ones ever designed for commercial use in the 1930s by a Bauhaus school designer Wilhelm Wagenfeld.
The interesting shape is due to the fact that it has two ink reservoirs in it, the main reservoir that holds the bulk of the ink on the left and then the secondary reservoir that you fill your pen from under the cap.
Between them is a raised wall that keeps them partly separated so you need to tilt the bottle to the cap side to fill the smaller reservoir. This allows you to fill your pen even when there is little ink left in the bottle (the footprint of the secondary reservoir is much smaller > ink level is higher for the same volume).

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought an M205 highlighter in green to match my yellow one and it arrived today from Taiwan within twelve days! Unexpected, in this time of Covid-19, when air traffic is curtailed and running erratically. There is nothing to report on these pens, since they have broad nibs for a purpose and I like them for just that...highlighting in paperbacks! (No, I don't mark my hardback books)

UPS finally paid a visit... The pens are in pristine condition and the clarity and binde color of that 400 Tortoise are just... wow! That box is amazingly sturdy, thought it would be a simpler issue but nope, it must have been quite luxurious originally. A bit scuffed and a sticker mark on top but hey, can't complain for the price.

nwGRYLa.jpg

UDIUJa9.jpg

And that ain't all, an RGB CS Dinky was thrown into the mix, sadly the cap is cracked and the barrel heavily discolored. But if anyone is in need of one for parts just ping me.

That ain't all prt. II. I might have just said yes to the proposed price for a run of the mill 100N with a fluted cap... and a 14k BB-nib that has an insane amount of tipping left. The older script nibs that I have usually have really modest amount of tipping in them (by design or just wear from use), this one is more in line with the healthiest of the later chevron nibs.

Edited by mana

That ain't all prt. II. I might have just said yes to the proposed price for a run of the mill 100N with a fluted cap... and a 14k BB-nib that has an insane amount of tipping left. The older script nibs that I have usually have really modest amount of tipping in them (by design or just wear from use), this one is more in line with the healthiest of the later chevron nibs.

Quite the haul-congratulations. I love those 400 tortoises.