Adding To The Flock

mana

:lticaptd:

Yeah, good luck with that.... The ones I've seen on the Bay of Evil of the Pink and White have been at four figure price tags....

I'll admit that the Turquoise and White is really attractive, but after just having gotten the Violet and White, I'm feeling sort of poor.... :(

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I never claimed it to be a practical desire, but we shall see... :)

There are indeed Pinks available on the "Bay of Evil", and yes at crazy asking prices. On the other hand, there seem to be MANY available at those prices, and they don't seem to be moving very quickly. Sooner or later the suckers will be satisfied. I am still holding onto the belief that with some patience and luck I will find something reasonable. It worked at least for the ballpoint...

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• N1003U

• carola

• Lam1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, a cheap, but effective trick. Especially for those compulsives among us.

If you haven't seen the M600 Turquoise-White in person, and you like blue, you are going to love it when you see it.

Now, if I can just find a pink at a reasonable price, my 6xx white set will be complete (for now).

You know they made a M600 a White Tortoise, right? Way prettier than any of the rest, IMHO. I couldn't find one at a reasonable price, so I snagged a 400 set.

Having said that, I love your avatar picture.

:lticaptd:

Yeah, good luck with that.... The ones I've seen on the Bay of Evil of the Pink and White have been at four figure price tags....

I'll admit that the Turquoise and White is really attractive, but after just having gotten the Violet and White, I'm feeling sort of poor.... :(

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Me, too. And every time I get the latest grail pen, another pops up to take it’s place. What’s up with that? I feel like I'm playing wack a mole.

Normally, I deal with stress by over eating and over shopping. But I’m on a diet at the moment. :wallbash:

But having said that, I do love that EF Violet and White.

You know they made a M600 a White Tortoise, right?

Yes, but since the tortoise didn't come in a lacy box that (sort of) matched the color, I consider it separately (yea, it's a white M600, but...)...either way, I am still missing the pink...

Me, too. And every time I get the latest grail pen, another pops up to take it’s place. What’s up with that? I feel like I'm playing wack a mole.

Normally, I deal with stress by over eating and over shopping. But I’m on a diet at the moment. :wallbash:

But having said that, I do love that EF Violet and White.

Oh, don't worry. Sooner or later one runs out of new Pelikans to buy.

I've been in your shoes for a few years. Now, I've been kind of bored and hardly buy any birds (why on earth they only release 2 M80x a year? :gaah: ).

Well, I do throw in a vintage one every now and them... but those are just necessary items and don't count! :rolleyes:

Edited by Lam1

Vintage doesn't count, eh? I'll tell Cathy you said that the next time I head over to eBay :lol:

And for the newer FPN users, here's a picture from a few years ago, but remember, a lot of these "don't count"

fpn_1502987368__pelikan_tortoises.jpg

Edited by BillH

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Vintage doesn't count, eh? I'll tell Cathy you said that the next time I head over to eBay :lol:

And for the newer FPN users, here's a picture from a few years ago, but remember, a lot of these "don't count"

Beautiful birds there, BillH. I don't know what "don't count" means, but that is a lovely flock. Were any of those recently acquired?

Those are just amazing, Bill!

Almost destroyed my computer drooling!

But, yes, in my accounting vintage birds are just a necessity, so they don't count. Therefore, I didn't buy any pens this year! :P

At least, that is what I keep telling to Thelma! :D

Yes, but since the tortoise didn't come in a lacy box that (sort of) matched the color, I consider it separately (yea, it's a white M600, but...)...either way, I am still missing the pink...

I get that. The Violet and White FP and BP boxes are still sitting on my desk even though I don’t have any great reason to keep them out. They are pretty.

The M620s have great packaging, too. It doesn’t make the pen write any better, but it makes unboxing really fun. I suspect the 805 Ocean Swirls will have quite plain packaging. Oh well, once the boxes get stored I rarely take them out to play with anyway.

Oh, don't worry. Sooner or later one runs out of new Pelikans to buy.

I've been in your shoes for a few years. Now, I've been kind of bored and hardly buy any birds (why on earth they only release 2 M80x a year? :gaah: ).

Well, I do throw in a vintage one every now and them... but those are just necessary items and don't count! :rolleyes:

I’ve been collecting for about twenty years now. Every time I hang out on FPN, there’s some fabulous thing to buy.

Like that M800 tortoise in Bill H’s box. I bought the M800 Brown and Black so I’d stop wanting one. It didn’t work.

It could be worse. Those Montblanc Writers editions would suck up a lot more money! Fortunately, none of them have enticed me yet, I’m satisfied with my Le Grandes so far.

Besides, how many pens does any one person really need? I’m not even ambidextrous. Time to downsize I guess.

Received this one yesterday. Took advantage of the great closeout pricing John Mottishaw has over at Nibs.com. He has these M815 Metal Striped pens, as well as the M805 Demonstrators, for $429 each. I added a cursive italic nib grind and still got the pen for less than $500. So I'm pretty pleased with that.

I like the pen. It's different enough from the Stresemann to make it a worthwhile addition. I like the extra heft than the metal binde provides. I believe Pelikan used this pattern on one of their Ductus designs, but it's classy and understated. And the cursive italic writes like a dream. Very happy with this one!

O7rBqhO.jpg

Received this one yesterday. Took advantage of the great closeout pricing John Mottishaw has over at Nibs.com. He has these M815 Metal Striped pens, as well as the M805 Demonstrators, for $429 each. I added a cursive italic nib grind and still got the pen for less than $500. So I'm pretty pleased with that.

I like the pen. It's different enough from the Stresemann to make it a worthwhile addition. I like the extra heft than the metal binde provides. I believe Pelikan used this pattern on one of their Ductus designs, but it's classy and understated. And the cursive italic writes like a dream. Very happy with this one!

O7rBqhO.jpg

Wow, great deal on an awesome pen from my favorite nibmeister. Nice job. Congrats!

Is it noticeably heavier than the regular M800?

Besides, how many pens does any one person really need?

Between having a keyboard and a pencil? Nil.

In a way, I'm glad it's all about enjoyment and gratification; we buy fountain pens because we want them and can afford them, not because we "need" any of them and have to make sacrifices or compromises to fulfil that "need" and pre-empt the unimaginable alternative.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Between having a keyboard and a pencil? Nil.

In a way, I'm glad it's all about enjoyment and gratification; we buy fountain pens because we want them and can afford them, not because we "need" any of them and have to make sacrifices or compromises to fulfil that "need" and pre-empt the unimaginable alternative.

What a healthy way to look at it. Plus, pens are small and easy to store.

O7rBqhO.jpg

Conrats! These monochrome Pelikans (both Stresemann`s and metal-striped) are gorgeous!

And even more with Italic nibs)

Regards, Alexey

Wow, great deal on an awesome pen from my favorite nibmeister. Nice job. Congrats!

Is it noticeably heavier than the regular M800?

It sure feels more substantial in the hand. I don't have a regular M800 handy, but I weighed the M815, an M1000, and an M900 Toledo. The M815 weighs closer to the Toledo than it does to the M1000. The M100 comes in at 34.30 grams (1.21 oz), the M815 at 37.74 grams (1.33 oz), and the Toledo at 40.20 grams (1.42 oz).

Oddly enough, the Toledo has the lightest cap- mainly because it has the plastic dome with the metal inlay. The M815 and M1000 have heavier caps because they have the newer style metal cap dome. So while the Toledo carries 78% of its weight in the barrel, the M1000 carries 30% of its weight in the cap.

Fun with scales!

V

Beautiful birds there, BillH. I don't know what "don't count" means, but that is a lovely flock. Were any of those recently acquired?

Thank you. No, this pic is from a number of years ago.

Those are just amazing, Bill!

Almost destroyed my computer drooling!

But, yes, in my accounting vintage birds are just a necessity, so they don't count. Therefore, I didn't buy any pens this year! :P

At least, that is what I keep telling to Thelma! :D

Part of what keeps good marriages good is the unspoken agreement to smile and look the other way when our spouse says silly things like this... and Thelma and Cathy are most excellent and beloved partners :wub:

I’ve been collecting for about twenty years now. Every time I hang out on FPN, there’s some fabulous thing to buy.

Like that M800 tortoise in Bill H’s box. I bought the M800 Brown and Black so I’d stop wanting one. It didn’t work.

It could be worse. Those Montblanc Writers editions would suck up a lot more money! Fortunately, none of them have enticed me yet, I’m satisfied with my Le Grandes so far.

Besides, how many pens does any one person really need? I’m not even ambidextrous. Time to downsize I guess.

Writers Editions, eh? :eureka: Would you be up for another, similar photo, of MB WE's? I'll see if I can arrange that.

O7rBqhO.jpg

Wonderful photograph, excellent pen. Thanks! And as boring as Pelikan has been so far this year, maybe I'll trundle over there and see if I can be tempted...

Edited by BillH

My favorite new pen just arrived: the M805 Ocean Swirl with an EF Nib. I quite like the light and dark bands, though it does make me miss living next to the ocean:

fpn_1582746645__m805_ocean_swirl.jpeg

I think Lam1 was right after all, I may have finally bought all the pens I want. Thanks to Vicary, I think the metal pens are going to be too heavy for me. That just saved me a ton of money. :bunny01:

The matching ballpoint is still en route with the Pelikan Black Calf Double Pen zipper case. It feels a bit like Christmas.

Updated: I forgot I also have a Pelikan M205 Special Edition Fountain Pen BB Duo Highlighter Fluorescent Yellow in the mail as well. I bought on eBay, not examining the pictures closely enough. It looks like it has some staining beneath the inner plastic cap, which seems to be the bane of demonstrator pens. We'll see what my "bargain" pen actually looks like when it arrives.

Updated: I forgot I also have a Pelikan M205 Special Edition Fountain Pen BB Duo Highlighter Fluorescent Yellow in the mail as well. I bought on eBay, not examining the pictures closely enough. It looks like it has some staining beneath the inner plastic cap, which seems to be the bane of demonstrator pens. We'll see what my "bargain" pen actually looks like when it arrives.

.That one does that a lot. I bought one off the 'bay a couple years back and it took awhile to get it cleaned up... at which time I put it away and haven't pulled it out since :wacko:

The Swirl, on the other hand, is one of my favorites too, and with the Aquamarine ink it is nearly perfect. Good choice!