Adding To The Flock

mana

I feel like buying it just so I can quote the Rick and Morty heist episode. "You SOB, I'm in." Instead I'm going to celebrate finally finishing off updating my pen database with a whole lotta white tortoise M400/K400/D400 pictures.

First, the fountain pen:

fpn_1581395518__pelikan_m400_white_torto

fpn_1581395581__pelikan_m400_white_torto

fpn_1581395625__pelikan_m400_white_torto

fpn_1581395747__pelikan_m400_white_torto

fpn_1581395808__pelikan_m400_white_torto

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• N1003U

• carola

• Lam1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am tempted by that White Violet, because I love my White Transparent so much, I want to get a companion for it. I kept telling myself I dont use a lot of purple inks...

It's funny. Back when the Pink and White M600 came out, I wanted one but couldn't afford it. And thought it was a bit too heavy for me as well. Then the White Transparent came out, and it was a better weight (although by then I was getting used to heavier pens like my TWSBI 580-AL). But again, it was too expensive, and truthfully, it never wowed me color-wise. The Turquoise and White was nice looking, but then there was still the price issue. But this one? It was just pretty. And I'd been watching several on eBay for a while, and then last week, after I'd spent WAAAY to much time dealing with various issues with technology (and stupid people), to the point I wanted to throw things through plate-glass windows, I got the eBay notice that the one seller was offering a discount. And it really was too good a deal to pass up, because it ended up being LESS expensive than the M405 Striated Blue I'd tossed into the order for my M405 Stresemann -- and in fact I think was cheaper than the M400 Striated Blue the same seller had. So I'm not quite so giddy over "OMG I just paid HOW MUCH for two pens?" The M600 was still not exactly cheap. It's probably the third most expensive pen I own, after the two M405s. But I'm really happy with it. I've got it inked up with Edelstein Topaz, and that makes me happy as well.... I'm even happy with the EF nib, which is writing extremely well.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I finally have my first real Pelikan.

(Aside from a Pelikano that I did not like very much and that I passed along.)

A blue M400 old style. Very pleased with it! Nib is a teensy bit scratchy, due to misaligned tines, but that is fixable.

It's funny. Back when the Pink and White M600 came out, I wanted one but couldn't afford it. And thought it was a bit too heavy for me as well. Then the White Transparent came out, and it was a better weight (although by then I was getting used to heavier pens like my TWSBI 580-AL). But again, it was too expensive, and truthfully, it never wowed me color-wise. The Turquoise and White was nice looking, but then there was still the price issue. But this one? It was just pretty. And I'd been watching several on eBay for a while, and then last week, after I'd spent WAAAY to much time dealing with various issues with technology (and stupid people), to the point I wanted to throw things through plate-glass windows, I got the eBay notice that the one seller was offering a discount. And it really was too good a deal to pass up, because it ended up being LESS expensive than the M405 Striated Blue I'd tossed into the order for my M405 Stresemann -- and in fact I think was cheaper than the M400 Striated Blue the same seller had. So I'm not quite so giddy over "OMG I just paid HOW MUCH for two pens?" The M600 was still not exactly cheap. It's probably the third most expensive pen I own, after the two M405s. But I'm really happy with it. I've got it inked up with Edelstein Topaz, and that makes me happy as well.... I'm even happy with the EF nib, which is writing extremely well.

You deserve it. It sounds like you've had a rough week.

Thanks, here is a glimpse to the familiy ;-)

Beautiful! I have never seen a Seagreen Pelikan in person or even for sale.

Beautiful! I have never seen a Seagreen Pelikan in person or even for sale.

I had to Google it. I'd never even heard of a Seagreen Pelikan and I've been collecting Pelikans for years and years. Good thing I'm focusing on later Pens, or I'd be off on a new grail pen quest!

My Pelikan M800 Brown Black with its factory broad nib.

post-78569-0-90059200-1581854356.jpeg

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

My M600 White Violet arrived. It has a medium cursive italic nib. Inked with Iroshizuku Shikibu. The pen really is very beautiful!

post-150706-0-64693000-1581870549_thumb.jpeg

post-150706-0-17877400-1581870574_thumb.jpeg

post-150706-0-01945000-1581870526_thumb.jpeg

I've been using my Violet and White for about a week now. Decided that since I tend to not go "matchy-matchy" with ink and and barrel colors, for the most part, the ideal ink for the inaugural fill would be Edelstein Topaz. Liking the pen a lot and now could see myself branching out into more M600 size pens (presuming that I can afford them), if there was a color I liked, and with a different nib -- although I'm liking the EF nib. I doubt that I'd ever expand into the M800 and M1000 size pens -- those are just too heavy.

I am starting to think that I want to do some side by side comparisons between the nib on the M600 and the EF nib on one of the M405s -- I think that the nib on the M405 is running wider than on the M600. So I suspect that sooner or later the striated blue M405 will get a fill of Topaz, and then at some point both pens will get Edelstein Tanzanite (the usual fare for that M405). And then maybe both pens will get filled with something else for another side by side comparison, EF nib to EF nib.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

And then maybe both pens will get filled with something else for another side by side comparison, EF nib to EF nib.

I'm under the impression that M40x nib units will fit perfectly onto an M60x pen body. You should be able to simply swap nibs, and therefore eliminate the size or weight of the pen as a variable in the writing experience, if you simply want to compare one nib against the other as clinically and "objectively" as possible.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Hi, again,

Seems I've been kind of lucky these days. I've just come across this post-war 100N, which isn't so uncommon or scarce as a model or in appearance, yet in surprisingly good condition, and a great writer. A smooth, flexible F nib makes it a class of its own. All I had to do was few hours of soaking, taking apart, thorough cleaning and putting back together. It's a model definitely worth having and using.

:)

fpn_1581951822__100n-1948-small.jpg

Edited by stoen

Well, my resolve didn't last long. After inventorying my pens, I realized that I don't own a stock Pelikan EF. Or a K600 ballpoint. Now, I've got a M600 EF and K600 Violet and White set on order from Amazon Global UK. Seemed like a good deal, but with shipping and tax I'm out about $540.

What can I say? It's been an epically difficult week and I gave in to the lure of retail therapy late last night while at a bit of a low point. God knows I don't need any more pens, but I don't think I've ever really regretted buying a Pelikan.

Well, my resolve didn't last long. After inventorying my pens, I realized that I don't own a stock Pelikan EF. Or a K600 ballpoint. Now, I've got a M600 EF and K600 Violet and White set on order from Amazon Global UK. Seemed like a good deal, but with shipping and tax I'm out about $540.

What can I say? It's been an epically difficult week and I gave in to the lure of retail therapy late last night while at a bit of a low point. God knows I don't need any more pens, but I don't think I've ever really regretted buying a Pelikan.

Congrats on your new set! You just reminded me that I dont own any EF nibs from Pelikan. Let me know how you like it!

I do the same, buying pens to cheer me up. Late night and early morning are the most likely times to put an order. By the time the pen arrives, I have long moved on from whatever was upsetting me. The new pen becomes pure joy. Hope you will get through the low point soon.

Congrats on your new set! You just reminded me that I dont own any EF nibs from Pelikan. Let me know how you like it!

I do the same, buying pens to cheer me up. Late night and early morning are the most likely times to put an order. By the time the pen arrives, I have long moved on from whatever was upsetting me. The new pen becomes pure joy. Hope you will get through the low point soon.

Thanks so much. They're discharging my husband from the hospital today. :D

A quick update from our friend, Tom Kellie, who is locked away in CoronaVirusLand:

Every day I think of FPN friends, especially in the Montblanc, Pelikan and Inks Forums.
The fountain pens on my writing desk are in daily use. I’m surprised to find that I like Herbin scented inks more with repeated use.
As shopping malls are closed here, the local suppliers of inks, paper and fountain pens are currently unavailable.
My supplies are more than adequate, therefore I’m able to enjoy both sketching and writing.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today