Adding To The Flock

mana

On 8/10/2024 at 1:15 PM, DilettanteG said:

Absolutely love this pen! I've wanted one for awhile, but I'd probably end up staining it almost immediately. So, I settled for the M200 and M205 unlabelled demos instead. Acceptable rather than capital losses, but I do envy you yours!

It's funny, but I was so relieved to see that it arrived prestained.  Now I have no guilt about using it.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• N1003U

• carola

• Lam1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

It's funny, but I was so relieved to see that it arrived prestained.  Now I have no guilt about using it.

Oh I never have that problem.  I've even inked up a Sheaffer Snorkel I picked up at a little antiques fair a few years ago that still had the nib sticker on it (well, once I had it checked out, of course -- I know that if the spring rusts out that's a $20 part right there...).

The only pens I've never used are the ones that haven't been checked out/repaired yet.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

It was bound to happen. M400 white tortoise with medium nib. These are such gorgeous pens and I hadn’t added to the flock in a bit. And this one has a painted 2 chicks cap and a Medium 2 chicks nib tuned up by Kirk Speer. Cap of course has cracks but is working. Inked with Wearingeul Tick Tock Croc, writes beautifully. Wonderful pen.

20240823_184058_resized.jpeg

On 8/23/2024 at 9:21 PM, Cjtamu said:

M400 white tortoise with medium nib.

Beautiful pen!

5 hours ago, RedPie said:

Beautiful pen!

Thank you.  Very happy with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Love my M400 White Tortoise (B). Currently inked with Edelstein Olivine.

As for recent arrivals/additions to the flock - a MK10 black. In comparing with the photos at Pelikan-Collectables.com it appears to be a 1st generation model from 1968-1970.  The piston is a bit stiff, inked with Noodler's Blue Eel, in hope's that it's lubricity will help to loosen the psiton up some. It arrived on August 28.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

• 2 weeks later...

Pelikan 100N Grey with rippled clip and cap band and a CN nib. Around 75 to 80 years old and still a striking beauty, if you ask me. And the CN nib writes very nicely, pretty stubby and with quite some flex. As the CN nibs I have encountered until now have always been completely hit or miss, I was afraid I would have to swap it out, but no, I got lucky and I love it.

large.Pelikan100NGrey_01.jpg.4c692f626eccf38bd57dfe5f4b31d70c.jpglarge.Pelikan100NGrey_02.jpg.53626e6c690643cb1cac66edcfede90a.jpg

4 hours ago, alfredop said:

Beatiful 100N, I particularly like the gray binde.

Alfredo

Thank you, Alfredo. Until now, the combination of black cap and grey binde (mainly the striped grey binde of the 400s, but also the marbled one of the 100s) was mostly "yeah okay... but a bit meh" to me. What got me at first sight was the lovely clip and cap band (didn´t have a rippled one until now) and then how it seemed to enhance this black and grey pen in such a nice way that suddenly made my brain say "I need this!" And who am I to dissent with my own brain... There you go, little bird, welcome to the flock.

7 hours ago, carola said:

Pelikan 100N Grey with rippled clip and cap band and a CN nib. Around 75 to 80 years old and still a striking beauty, if you ask me. And the CN nib writes very nicely, pretty stubby and with quite some flex. As the CN nibs I have encountered until now have always been completely hit or miss, I was afraid I would have to swap it out, but no, I got lucky and I love it.

large.Pelikan100NGrey_01.jpg.4c692f626eccf38bd57dfe5f4b31d70c.jpglarge.Pelikan100NGrey_02.jpg.53626e6c690643cb1cac66edcfede90a.jpg

What an elegant pen. I agree, the clip and cap band are fantastic. 

16 hours ago, Cjtamu said:

What an elegant pen. I agree, the clip and cap band are fantastic. 

Thank you. Yes, it is very elegant indeed. It looks really good on my desk at work and it even feels elegant when I jot something down. 😊

Already posted in another thread, but I think it is worth to post also here. I taken it at the Pelikan TintenTurme event on last Friday.

IMG_1844.thumb.jpeg.4debb2b06cdab80ffc98e626418ac7bc.jpegIMG_1845.thumb.jpeg.9118278e154075d3b27f4679ffc65c83.jpeg

The color scheme seems related to a dirty stormtrooper (maybe after a battle).

Of course the pen is the almost new M670 Warm Gray.

Alfredo

28 minutes ago, alfredop said:

Already posted in another thread, but I think it is worth to post also here. I taken it at the Pelikan TintenTurme event on last Friday.

IMG_1844.thumb.jpeg.4debb2b06cdab80ffc98e626418ac7bc.jpegIMG_1845.thumb.jpeg.9118278e154075d3b27f4679ffc65c83.jpeg

The color scheme seems related to a dirty stormtrooper (maybe after a battle).

Of course the pen is the almost new M670 Warm Gray.

Alfredo

Stormtrooper after a battle.

This is probably the most accurate description I have seen so far. 🤣

Congratulations!

On 9/19/2024 at 2:46 PM, carola said:

Thank you. Yes, it is very elegant indeed. It looks really good on my desk at work and it even feels elegant when I jot something down. 😊

I have the modern blue-gray M101N, and I enjoy it, but next to this lovely pen, mine seems boring..

16 hours ago, N1003U said:

I have the modern blue-gray M101N, and I enjoy it, but next to this lovely pen, mine seems boring..

Oh my... sorry. 😂

What I really like with these vintage pens is that one seems to be able to feel their history. This pen must have seen quite a few things in its long life.

I'm with you on that.  

I don't understand the people who seem to get heebie-jeebies over a vintage pen with a name engraved on it.  For me that just adds to the interest (although I mostly have not been able to track down the former owner, except in one case).  
I guess I'm more drawn to vintage pens in general.  Maybe because the first one I ran across had been my grandfather's (no idea now what brand it was -- I lost it decades ago).  I found it on my dad's dresser after my grandfather died (I think I was about 8 or 9) and all I remember is that it was a combo -- pen on one end, pencil on the other -- and that I thought the leads for the pencil went in what clearly was the lever box.  I was just fascinated with it -- partly because it had been his, and because it was blue....

And I like being able to find some vintage pen inexpensively, at an estate sale or antiques shop, and take it to one of the AWESOME repair people in this hobby to have it rehabbed and working.  Because then I generally have a lovely working pen in a size and weight for my hand, and still haven't paid a huge amount of money for it.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

That M670 is way darker than it seemed... Looks better to me.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell