Adding To The Flock

mana

10 minutes ago, Cjtamu said:

Congratulations. There are rumors they breed in captivity. You’ll see.

Not rumors. Proven facts.

Sorry, nib.to.nob, you have just entered a pretty deep rabbit hole. Have fun. 🤪

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• N1003U

• carola

• Lam1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@Cjtamu -- What carola said.  Ask me how I know.... :huh:

My favorite pens are vintage Parkers (particularly 51s), and modern Parker Vectors.  My two most EXPENSIVE pens are a couple of modern Pelikan M405s -- partly because my favorite FILL system are piston fillers (also have a few M200/M205s and M400s).  But I also have a couple of P22s that have fun designs and a (sadly) broken :crybaby: Pelikano that I paid five bucks for at a pen show a few years ago (it snapped at the join between the barrel and the ink window) -- and it had been a nice writer with a pretty decent nib on it.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

My favorite pens are vintage Parkers (particularly 51s), and modern Parker Vectors.  But my two most EXPENSIVE pens are a couple of modern Pelikan M405s -- partly because my favorite FILL system are piston fillers (also have a few M200/M205s and M400s).  

I also have a couple of P22 c/c pens that have fun designs, a modern M120 Iconic Blue (hmmm -- I should put that back into rotation...), a 1980s (I think era M100), a 1950/1960s era M120, an M600 Violet & White (although the cap has developed cracks:( and a (sadly) broken :crybaby: Pelikano that I paid five bucks for at a pen show a few years ago (it snapped at the join between the barrel and the ink window) -- and it had been a nice writer with a pretty decent nib on it.  And of course I LOST two M200 Café Crèmes -- so I'm being way more careful with the third one....

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

My favorite pens are vintage Parkers (particularly 51s), and modern Parker Vectors.  But my two most EXPENSIVE pens are a couple of modern Pelikan M405s -- partly because my favorite FILL system are piston fillers (also have a few M200/M205s and M400s).  

I also have a couple of P22 c/c pens that have fun designs, a modern M120 Iconic Blue (hmmm -- I should put that back into rotation...), a 1980s (I think era M100), a 1950/1960s era M120, an M600 Violet & White (although the cap has developed cracks:( and a (sadly) broken :crybaby: Pelikano that I paid five bucks for at a pen show a few years ago (it snapped at the join between the barrel and the ink window) -- and it had been a nice writer with a pretty decent nib on it.  And of course I LOST two M200 Café Crèmes -- so I'm being way more careful with the third one....

Well, let’s see. All this Pelikan FP nonsense started with a Golden Beryl M200 I bought my wife for Christmas. I needed a FP I could keep at the office and not worry too much about and a silver Pura P40 fit the bill. Then I stumbled on a wonderful little black and gold M400 with a late model two chicks nib that had been sitting in the display case for 20+ years. Of course I then needed a 1952-53 brown tortoise 400 for purposes of comparison. And then there was a blue stripe M800 staring me in the face at SUCH a great price! It occurred to me after that I had a gap to fill between the M400 and the M800 and when a great deal on a black tortoise M600 was presented I’d have been a fool not to take it. Especially since I already had a gift wrapped M600 Glauco Cambon sitting at the house for my wife’s birthday. Not too long ago I made the mistake of writing with a M1000. Have since realized my pen case for large pens has an empty spot into which a M1000 would fit nicely. And I do have a “0” birthday this year. So, I really have no idea what @inkstainedruth and @carola are talking about. Just rumors, speculation, and innuendo. Oh shoot, I forgot about the brown marble M200 that’s on the way here right now! Dang fertile Pelikans! 

:lticaptd:

I started with wanting an M400 in the Blue Black and eventually did get an M405 Blue Black.  I wanted one for a very special occasion and ended up finding a decent deal on a 1990s era M400 Brown Tortoise on eBay.  My husband was freaking out a bit at the price even then but i said, "No -- you don't understand!  This is still WAAAAY less expensive than a modern M400 -- and they don't make this color any more...."  Then what did Pelikan do a couple of years ago?  Reissue the M400 Brown Tortoise (AND make a liar out of me in the process.... :wallbash:

Of course, when I got the M405 Stresemann and an M405 in the Blue Black, he then understood what I meant about the prices....  And I SAVED money by getting them from the Missing Pens eBay store (I could have saved a bit more by getting a regular M400 in the Blue Black -- but there was just SOMETHING about how the rhodium finish looked on the M405 :puddle: ).  Of course, an hour later, I was getting the phone call from PayPal, going "Did you know that a charge of X amount was just sent to a vendor in Europe?"  

"Why yes, yes I did know, but thank you for calling...."  Got off the phone, looked at my husband and said "OMG -- I really DID just spend that much money on ONLY TWO PENS...." :o

They’re like L’Oréal. They’re expensive because they’re worth it ha ha. I love the look of my 605 black tortoise. I have umm, several black and gold pens already.

On 7/7/2024 at 10:53 PM, Cjtamu said:

Congratulations. There are rumors they breed in captivity. You’ll see.

Haha. Thank you @Cjtamu 🙏

On 7/7/2024 at 11:06 PM, carola said:

you have just entered a pretty deep rabbit hole. Have fun. 🤪

🙈 I can see that. Already looking at other M800's. I will enjoy this one first for now.

Found two uninked 500NN's in the wild including boxes. Nibs are F and KM, and I'm wondering if I should even try them. This completes for the 400 and 400NN series the models that I want to collect. The models beyond these (light tortoise etc.) are just out of reach to complete. I currently have 2/5 for the 400N series to complete this 1950's collection of mine.

500NN01.thumb.jpg.773f912d561e2abffae59ad2b8beae0c.jpg500NN02.thumb.jpg.b5cf0c8a938707bbeabcfcf2bb6647a4.jpg

3 hours ago, eerestis said:

Found two uninked 500NN's in the wild including boxes. Nibs are F and KM, and I'm wondering if I should even try them. This completes for the 400 and 400NN series the models that I want to collect. The models beyond these (light tortoise etc.) are just out of reach to complete. I currently have 2/5 for the 400N series to complete this 1950's collection of mine.

500NN01.thumb.jpg.773f912d561e2abffae59ad2b8beae0c.jpg500NN02.thumb.jpg.b5cf0c8a938707bbeabcfcf2bb6647a4.jpg

Excellent, saw them also, glad they found a good home! :)

On 7/7/2024 at 4:06 PM, carola said:

Not rumors. Proven facts.

Beat me to it! 🙃

12 hours ago, eerestis said:

Very pretty!

56 minutes ago, roshpens said:

Pelikan Green Demo 1992

IMG_1754.jpeg

IMG_1755.jpeg

IMG_1756.jpeg

Roshpens, if my upside down reading is correct, the nib is both cursive grind and oblique. Is that correct? I didn't know such a thing existed. Is it common? Also, your script is quite nice. 

3 minutes ago, yubaprof said:

Roshpens, if my upside down reading is correct, the nib is both cursive grind and oblique. Is that correct? I didn't know such a thing existed. Is it common? Also, your script is quite nice. 

Thank you !   Pardon my camera alignment. The nib was a stock Italic broad which was  customized it to cursive oblique.

1 minute ago, roshpens said:

Thank you !   Pardon my camera alignment. The nib was a stock Italic broad which was  customized it to cursive oblique.

So, the nib is slanted? Sorry to be a bother, but I might like to acquire that type of nib.

5 minutes ago, yubaprof said:

So, the nib is slanted? Sorry to be a bother, but I might like to acquire that type of nib.

Originally it is not. It is a straight nib otherwise. I guess it is relatively easy to find an Italic broad nib and ask a nib meister to shape it the way you want it.