Adding To The Flock

mana

On 6/29/2024 at 11:26 AM, carola said:

and I was warned by my pen repair guy about using them in vintage Pelikans.

This is the first time I have read something like this. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• N1003U

• carola

• Lam1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All I can say is that I was told Edelstein ink is perfectly okay with the modern Pelikans but to please not use it with the vintage ones.

As I didn't have an inclination towards Edelstein inks before, I don't mind. And as he is the one who has to repair my pens, I won't argue with him about it but rather tell myself that in this case, he is the one who should know and I am the one who will pay money for it if he is right and I didn't pay attention.

Here’s a recent one:

IMG_4007.jpeg.9fcd12d65f4c1f666625bd945455c09a.jpeg

A portuguese Pelikan 100 (may be of 1933/34), according to the section geometry and nib script.

You find a very rare pen. Do you know the approximate volume of production? Any information related will be appreciated.

3 hours ago, jchch1950 said:

Do you know the approximate volume of production?

Difficult to say. Portugal is a small country, but the Emegê Corporation (based in Porto, now defunct) may have once had an exclusive deal with GW for all the Portuguese speaking countries including Brasil. I’ve seen Emegê Pelikans occasionally emerging from there.

As for the binde colors, I know they have been incompletely covered by Dittmer & Lehman’s Pelikan Schreibgeräte. I’ve personally seen few more red, blue, yellow, green and grey pattern variations than those documented in the “Green Book”.

On 7/1/2024 at 1:28 AM, stoen said:

Here’s a recent one:

IMG_4007.jpeg.9fcd12d65f4c1f666625bd945455c09a.jpeg

A portuguese Pelikan 100 (may be of 1933/34), according to the section geometry and nib script.

Wow! What a gorgeous pen.

Congratulations!

Here are my last two acquisitions.

The M450 Light Tortoise (or is it Green Tortoise?), currently inked with Rohrer and Klingner Alt-Goldgrün, arrived yesterday:

large.IMG_1441.jpg.8bcce79cbc1cecadfad7ca9d0a4af8fd.jpg

The M1000 Renaissance Brown, currently inked with Edelstein Smoky Quartz, arrived a couple of weeks back. 

large.IMG_1442.jpg.0504ca4f6a623be3c591e605b1d17696.jpg

Here is the M1000 next to its (IMO) much classier little sister M800 (small details make a big difference):

large.IMG_1443.jpg.3cb164cb176f49488d014ca216ab1677.jpg

Here are my last two acquisitions.

The M450 Light Tortoise (or is it Green Tortoise?), currently inked with Rohrer and Klingner Alt-Goldgrün, arrived yesterday:

large.IMG_1441.jpg.8bcce79cbc1cecadfad7ca9d0a4af8fd.jpg

The M1000 Renaissance Brown, currently inked with Edelstein Smoky Quartz, arrived a couple of weeks back. 

large.IMG_1442.jpg.0504ca4f6a623be3c591e605b1d17696.jpg

Here is the M1000 next to its (IMO) much classier little sister M800 (small details make a big difference):

large.IMG_1443.jpg.3cb164cb176f49488d014ca216ab1677.jpg

1 hour ago, Lam1 said:

Wow! What a gorgeous pen.

Congratulations

Thanks, @Lam1. I also appreciate your acquisition, although my personal taste leans more toward vintage pens.

Here’s the nib - a very responsive M nib.

IMG_4049.thumb.jpeg.a72c383837a69bcc02164344e83848c1.jpeg

@Lam1 -- OOOOH, that M450 is pretty!  (I'm afraid to ask the price, given that my most expensive pen is the M405 Stresemann).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

6 hours ago, stoen said:

Thanks, @Lam1. I also appreciate your acquisition, although my personal taste leans more toward vintage pens.

Here’s the nib - a very responsive M nib.

IMG_4049.thumb.jpeg.a72c383837a69bcc02164344e83848c1.jpeg

Thank you, @stoen.

That nib seems to be great!

Do you use these rare pens that you have? Or just collect them?

I must say that I'd be a bit afraid of using such a rare pen.

I also like the vintage ones, but on this side of the pond such pens are rare as hens tooth. So I have a modest collection of vintage birds, mostly 400's. I also have a few vintage ones from American brands.

7 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

@Lam1 -- OOOOH, that M450 is pretty!  (I'm afraid to ask the price, given that my most expensive pen is the M405 Stresemann).

@inkstainedruth, it wasn't exactly cheap. But much less expensive than what I have seen this pen go for in the past, even accounting for the fact that lately modern Pelikans have come down in price quite a lot (I think the exchange yen/dollar and the seemingly unlimited supply of Pelikans coming from Japan has something to do with this phenomenon).

It was 1/3 of what they asked me at the DC pen show in 2018 (the only show I ever went), and afterwards I've seen it going for even more. So, when I saw it, I couldn't pass on it.

Sometimes you need to get lucky. 😄

And that M450 is indeed a pretty bird.

As for the Renaissance Brown (I have an M800 and love it), I am thoroughly with you on the old design being classier.

6 hours ago, carola said:

Sometimes you need to get lucky. 😄

And that M450 is indeed a pretty bird.

As for the Renaissance Brown (I have an M800 and love it), I am thoroughly with you on the old design being classier.

Thank you, @carola.

Yeah, I think the M800 Renaissance is way nicer IMO. The only reason I did get the M1000 is that fantastic soft nib, my favorite among modern pens. Now, if only they offered a Stub... this one will eventually go out to Mike Masuyama.

On 7/5/2024 at 6:24 AM, Lam1 said:

Do you use these rare pens that you have? Or just collect them?

I must say that I'd be a bit afraid of using such a rare pen.

In fact, I don’t care much for rare pens. I just like pens which are:

-great writers

-old and forsaken

-beautiful to me

Some of them happen to be rare, but what would be the point in not writing?

They are superior writers to the modern ones, IMHO.

I'm with you on that.  The only pens I don't use are the ones I haven't gotten repaired yet.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

+3 to @stoen and @inkstainedruth . We love renaming things that would otherwise end up collecting dust or in a landfill. Knives, airguns, slot cars, furniture, pens, etc. They come here, get a good home, and get to continue writing their stories. A tool or toy’s highest and best use is for its intended purpose, so we do. And as stated above, many of the old things are just better. 

6 hours ago, stoen said:

In fact, I don’t care much for rare pens. I just like pens which are:

-great writers

-old and forsaken

-beautiful to me

Some of them happen to be rare, but what would be the point in not writing?

They are superior writers to the modern ones, IMHO.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I do use all my pens (actually, there is one that I never used because... I don't know why! Maybe because I have many of the same model and never got to it. Now I'm just not interested anymore and will probably move it along some day). 

But I do understand people that preserve such rare museum quality pens, and certainly would be a bit worried for pens like the one you have shown.

My first Pelikan. I like it 😃. More to follow.

IMG_20240705_190717.jpg

IMG_20240705_190532.jpg

Congratulations. There are rumors they breed in captivity. You’ll see.