Adding To The Flock

mana

Cap, section and piston knob, everything is green. But as my phone camera wouldn´t show the colour as anything other than black, every time I moved somewhat away from the pen, I gave up after having scored the true colour shot of the cap.

By the way, the caps, sections and piston knobs of the tortoise coloured 400s are of a dark chocolate brown, they aren´t black either.

But the non-striped parts of most of the green striped ones are indeed black.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• N1003U

• carola

• Lam1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 hours ago, carola said:

My 400 is one of the common green-striped ones with black cap, grip-section, and piston knob.
It also has a larger ink capacity than my M800 & M805 🤪

And the most-enjoyable nib that I own 😊
Mine is an ‘F’, and I now want an ‘M’ (which is also a good excuse to buy a Brown Tortoise 400).

I think the crisp italic grind on these semi-flexible nibs means that a vintage 400 with a ‘B’ or ‘BB’, or especially your ‘BBB’, would make the ideal ‘signature’ pen.

I think that the not-for-sale sample that won’t fill-&-write is a nice additional ‘curio’.
But your ’normal’ one would be a pen that I would cherish.

large.Mercia45x27IMG_2024-09-18-104147.PNG.4f96e7299640f06f63e43a2096e76b6e.PNG  Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.  spacer.png

3 hours ago, carola said:

The pen you are talking about is the M600 Glauko Cambon.

There is an M800 Spirit of Gaudi, but that´s a different pen.

They are both rather spectacular.

You are correct, thanks for pointing that out. It is the Glauco M600 I purchased.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

3 hours ago, carola said:

Today arrived my latest (and rather impulsive) purchase:

The green striped Pelikan 400 with green cap, section and piston knob. I have heard this pen being dubbed the Sea Green. It has a friction fit nib and thus has to be a very early specimen.

As a little extra it comes with a box, a vintage BBB nib (in addition to the original M nib) and a second corpus (binde with section, also friction fit) from a salesman version of this pen, sporting the inscription "UNVERKÄUFLICH" (= unsaleable) on the binde and a tiny splint in the section (there is only a dot visible) holding the nib unit. These salesman versions were designed to be able to show the pen to pen shop owners. How it can be filled and emptied, if you dipped it in some ink also how it writes. BUT: if you filled it and tried to write, all you got was an inky mess. This made sure those pens wouldn´t be sold underhand.

As for the pictures, the green of the cap, section and piston knob is extremely hard to catch. But I managed to get a shot of the cap beside the cap of a black M800, and that picture makes the difference in colour really clear.

large.Pelikan400SeaGreen_01.jpg.c5cb7780dc706bb574251aff5d799d32.jpg

large.Pelikan400SeaGreen_02.jpg.ba04c00419d4897c63430ebb3b02ac48.jpg

large.Pelikan400SeaGreen_03.jpg.d022806b5db02509d288e7fc6a4bc83f.jpg

large.Pelikan400SeaGreen_04.jpg.08d299a083df118b81da939229f8a325.jpglarge.Pelikan400SeaGreen_05.jpg.f5a15cd98b76aa60e6aa817bf54aca79.jpg

large.Pelikan400SeaGreen_06.jpg.96a2721756b75e4b574b17905400205e.jpg

large.Pelikan400SeaGreen_07.jpg.2a8e3b2d12ec4aee112217af7c2eab78.jpg

large.Pelikan400SeaGreen_08.jpg.8d0c93c1bae8590825e39b7e5688ffc6.jpglarge.Pelikan400SeaGreen_09.jpg.7cd9022329ea2e2eda1d1d04b3268f24.jpg

Beautiful pen, I have a fountain pen + pencil in the green on green color, they are not easy to find.

Alfredo

6 hours ago, carola said:

The green striped Pelikan 400 with green cap, section and piston knob. I have heard this pen being dubbed the Sea Green. It has a friction fit nib and thus has to be a very early specimen.

As a little extra it comes with a box, a vintage BBB nib (in addition to the original M nib) and a second corpus (binde with section, also friction fit) from a salesman version of this pen, sporting the inscription "UNVERKÄUFLICH" (= unsaleable) on the binde and a tiny splint in the section (there is only a dot visible) holding the nib unit. These salesman versions were designed to be able to show the pen to pen shop owners. How it can be filled and emptied, if you dipped it in some ink also how it writes. BUT: if you filled it and tried to write, all you got was an inky mess. This made sure those pens wouldn´t be sold underhand.

As for the pictures, the green of the cap, section and piston knob is extremely hard to catch. But I managed to get a shot of the cap beside the cap of a black M800, and that picture makes the difference in colour really clear.

large.Pelikan400SeaGreen_01.jpg.c5cb7780dc706bb574251aff5d799d32.jpg

large.Pelikan400SeaGreen_02.jpg.ba04c00419d4897c63430ebb3b02ac48.jpg

large.Pelikan400SeaGreen_03.jpg.d022806b5db02509d288e7fc6a4bc83f.jpg

large.Pelikan400SeaGreen_04.jpg.08d299a083df118b81da939229f8a325.jpglarge.Pelikan400SeaGreen_05.jpg.f5a15cd98b76aa60e6aa817bf54aca79.jpg

large.Pelikan400SeaGreen_06.jpg.96a2721756b75e4b574b17905400205e.jpg

large.Pelikan400SeaGreen_07.jpg.2a8e3b2d12ec4aee112217af7c2eab78.jpg

large.Pelikan400SeaGreen_08.jpg.8d0c93c1bae8590825e39b7e5688ffc6.jpglarge.Pelikan400SeaGreen_09.jpg.7cd9022329ea2e2eda1d1d04b3268f24.jpg

Wow. That’s an incredible find. My impulse control would have been less than zero had I seen it. Congratulations. @inkstainedruth that’s because they all look black in photos! Can be difficult to photograph as stated, particularly with typical indoor lighting. 

1 hour ago, Cjtamu said:

Wow. That’s an incredible find. My impulse control would have been less than zero had I seen it.

Well, my impulse control actually was less than zero. 🤪

The funny thing is, it all started with the 3B nib. Knowing me quite well, my pen repair guy was dangling that nib in front of my nose with a "Look what I've got". A little chat about the nib being available with or without pen and the price ensued. I definitely wanted it, but where would I put it in? That nib deserved a rather special pen.

Chucking the 2B nib out of my 400 light tortoise seemed kind of the wrong way to go about this and I also love my B nibs in the more every day pens, so...

When asked, what I would like to have to go with that 3B nib, I said (half jokingly), well, you know, there is still that difficult to get green striped 400 with the green cap and everything else, but I have never come across one in real life, so this will hardly be an option. To which my pen repair guy answered, "Well, actually..." and that was that.

5 hours ago, Mercian said:

Mine is an ‘F’, and I now want an ‘M’ (which is also a good excuse to buy a Brown Tortoise 400).

The common 400 Tortoises are some of the most beautiful pens Pelikan ever produced, if you ask me. Do get one.

And those vintage B nibs (or broader) are always worth a try. The Bs are very much suited for everyday use while already having that italic look, the BB is still very writeable while going a bit in the direction of a signature nib. The 3B I have yet to try.

9 hours ago, carola said:

WOW!!! That is and absolutely incredible find! 

Big congratulations.

Let us see. The nib is spectacular and hard to get. The pen is very, very hard to find... and friction fit? Almost impossible I should think. 

Add to that the box and the salesman example?!! You should play the lottery! 😀

(If it weren't for the pictures I would not believe that anybody had a pen like this!! 😂)

I'm lucky enough to have a more modest version of the green pen, with a screw on M nib. 

Enjoy it!

Yowzah! That is a chonky nib 😍 Excellent set otherwise too.

Thank you all!

Today, I also got around to filling my little present to myself. Here is a little writing sample:

large.Pelikan400SeaGreen_10.jpg.efab1fc4ad0b60da533e9590fd49e134.jpg

And just for @inkstainedruth:

I fiddled a bit with the lighting today and tried to bring out the colours. Pelikan 400 tortoise vs. green striped vs. green-green striped.

large.Pelikan400SeaGreen_11.jpg.9e5e542aba015aaa310b822350107304.jpg

large.Pelikan400SeaGreen_12.jpg.1eaffa51b051a09fed1ee9df360c1a94.jpglarge.Pelikan400SeaGreen_13.jpg.8bbccfd31119ed727459a6570d869b60.jpg

Non-striped parts in chocolate brown vs. black vs. green.

15 hours ago, carola said:

Well, my impulse control actually was less than zero. 🤪

The funny thing is, it all started with the 3B nib. Knowing me quite well, my pen repair guy was dangling that nib in front of my nose with a "Look what I've got". A little chat about the nib being available with or without pen and the price ensued. I definitely wanted it, but where would I put it in? That nib deserved a rather special pen.

Chucking the 2B nib out of my 400 light tortoise seemed kind of the wrong way to go about this and I also love my B nibs in the more every day pens, so...

When asked, what I would like to have to go with that 3B nib, I said (half jokingly), well, you know, there is still that difficult to get green striped 400 with the green cap and everything else, but I have never come across one in real life, so this will hardly be an option. To which my pen repair guy answered, "Well, actually..." and that was that.

Lure cast, hook set, reeled in and in the net! They do see us coming sometimes, don’t they? Great story for a great pen.

On 6/27/2024 at 4:12 PM, carola said:

Cap, section and piston knob, everything is green. But as my phone camera wouldn´t show the colour as anything other than black, every time I moved somewhat away from the pen, I gave up after having scored the true colour shot of the cap.

By the way, the caps, sections and piston knobs of the tortoise coloured 400s are of a dark chocolate brown, they aren´t black either.

Thanks.  I had forgotten that some of the M400s and M200s did not have black caps and piston knobs (it's most noticeable on the M200 Café Crème, but I'm now recalling that my first bird, a 1990s era M400 Brown Tortoise, also has a brown cap and piston knob).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

On 6/28/2024 at 2:08 PM, carola said:

Today, I also got around to filling my little present to myself. Here is a little writing sample:

large.Pelikan400SeaGreen_10.jpg.efab1fc4ad0b60da533e9590fd49e134.jpg

This is perhaps a silly question, but:

Please will you let me know what that ink is?

My guess would be either Edelstein Sapphire, or perhaps even 4001 Königsblau.

I was amazed by the difference that my 400’s wet feed made to the appearance of my Edelstein Sapphire (it suppressed the ink’s shading, but it also made the ink’s colour a bright, solid, gem-like blue).

large.Mercia45x27IMG_2024-09-18-104147.PNG.4f96e7299640f06f63e43a2096e76b6e.PNG  Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.  spacer.png

4 minutes ago, Mercian said:

This is perhaps a silly question, but:

Please will you let me know what that ink is?

My guess would be either Edelstein Sapphire, or perhaps even 4001 Königsblau.

I was amazed by the difference that my 400’s wet feed made to the appearance of my Edelstein Sapphire (it suppressed the ink’s shading, but it also made the ink’s colour a bright, solid, gem-like blue).

You are not THAT far off. I don't own any Edelstein inks though.

I wanted to fill the pen with Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue, but alas, the ink level remaining in the bottle was already too low. I really need to buy a new one.

So I grabbed my hardly used bottle of Montblanc Royal Blue and used that one instead.

10 minutes ago, carola said:

I don't own any Edelstein inks though.

That’s a pity - they work really nicely in Pelikan pens.
(Unless of course you don’t like their colours, or inks that give shading.)

3 minutes ago, Mercian said:

That’s a pity - they work really nicely in Pelikan pens.
(Unless of course you don’t like their colours, or inks that give shading.)

I like shading inks. The 4001s do that, too, and I love those (Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Brown is one of my favourite inks). But the Edelstein inks are costly, have a bottle where filling is rather difficult once the ink level gets a bit lower and I was warned by my pen repair guy about using them in vintage Pelikans.

All of this hasn't prompted me to buy them yet.

1 hour ago, carola said:

But the Edelstein inks are costly, have a bottle where filling is rather difficult once the ink level gets a bit lower

Both - sadly - very true!

1 hour ago, carola said:

…and I was warned by my pen repair guy about using them in vintage Pelikans.

Ooh!

Thank you for this information :thumbup:

In that case I shall keep them out of my 400!

The Edelstein inks damage vintage Pelikan pens? Well, at least now I'm no longer consumed by the desire to hunt down a sea green for myself. Absolutely beautiful, but I think I've put enough vintage pens on the casualty list. I have an entire pen stand of victims that need to visit a pen hospital.

Hmmm.  I had not known that either.  OTOH, I don't really have many vintage Pelikan pens.  But after not doing sufficient cleaning of the M140 after using glitter inks (it has a stub nib) and ended up snapping the piston in two :headsmack:, I'm very cautious about glitter inks in ANY pen... (well, the original formula of J Herbin Rouge Hematite -- with the big flakes of gold -- gets used in a cheap Chinese pen with a fude nib...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."