Adding To The Flock

mana

Here's a photo of my M910 Old Style sitting on the ecritoire (writing box) that Pelikan sold as an "extra" when this pen was new. The ecritoire came with the pen when I bought it a few weeks ago.

The construction of the box is of what I'd consider ordinary quality: the divider where the ink bottle sits is loose, the exterior wood isn't terribly smooth and the finish isn't very durable. The red writing surface is very stiff, so the flat wooden pieces that it's glued to don't stay in the grooves in the box they way they should.

Sorry to hear that the ecritoire is not of better quality. But... that M910 is gorgeous :puddle: :puddle: :puddle:

Congrats on a great acquisition!

Edited to add: What is the nib you have there?

Edited by Lam1

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• N1003U

• carola

• Lam1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The M910 is a delight. puddle.gif

The ecritoire was a unique accessory, that was to be more of a display item/occasional use.

Shame about the quality of construction.

OTOH, it is a similar state with the Pelikan 24 pen chest using MDF. headsmack.gif

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

A tortoiseshell Pelikan 400 is on its way. The nib is a fine nib from 1950-1954 meaning that it does not have the fir tree engraving. Should be a nice writer.

Got a 500NN black stripe/rolled gold cap fountain pen/pencil set in its clamshell case.

The nib is script rather than logo--does that mean it's not original to the pen?

At any rate, it's a springy OM nib--a revelation. I had no idea what an oblique nib could do. I'm in love.

Sorry to hear that the ecritoire is not of better quality. But... that M910 is gorgeous :puddle: :puddle: :puddle:

Congrats on a great acquisition!

Edited to add: What is the nib you have there?

Thank you!

From what I've been able to find, the M910 was originally only available with a F or M nib, and I received mine with its original PF-marked M nib. Right now, it has a fully rhodium-plated BB nib installed, which is of much more recent manufacture than its original nib.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely pens, shame the MB's are going to gang up on the Pelikan's. biggrin.png I'd keep 'em tucked away, as a precaution.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Today my grail pen has joined the flock. The M700 Toledo. It looks better in real life than on photo's, but I tried to capture it's beauty. It came in a solid (plastic) box. Engraved is 7/CF 95 VFW. No idea what that means. It came with a 18K Medium nib.

The one strange thing about it is that while all my other Pelikans have a clip in shiny gold, the Toledo has a clip in matte gold. I assume that this is the correct color. I attached a photo of the Toledo next to a M400 so you can see the difference in the clip.

post-149020-0-63984900-1559053065_thumb.jpg

post-149020-0-30172000-1559053077_thumb.jpg

post-149020-0-52320400-1559053101_thumb.jpg

post-149020-0-32461200-1559053119_thumb.jpg

post-149020-0-59597100-1559053127_thumb.jpg

post-149020-0-51712900-1559053136_thumb.jpg

post-149020-0-65943700-1559053660_thumb.jpg

Congrats on a lovely acquisition. A fine pen that will bring you reams of happiness. thumbup.gif

Engineer :

Today my grail pen has joined the flock. The M700 Toledo. It looks better in real life than on photo's, but I tried to capture it's beauty. It came in a solid (plastic) box. Engraved is 7/CF 95 VFW. No idea what that means. It came with a 18K Medium nib.

The one strange thing about it is that while all my other Pelikans have a clip in shiny gold, the Toledo has a clip in matte gold. I assume that this is the correct color. I attached a photo of the Toledo next to a M400 so you can see the difference in the clip.

7/CF95 is the serial number of the pen. Pelikan has never released what the numbers mean. I've been collecting some serial numbers for the Toledo model that I own, the larger M910 with black body and silver metal, and they appear to follow the pattern of: [1-9] [A-E] / [01-99], which is to say, a digit one through nine, a letter A through E, a slash, and then a number between 01 and 99.

VFW is the mark of the craftsperson who hand-engraved the cast metal barrel. Other makers include CT (with the T rotated 90 degrees clockwise), JB, and EH. I've seen in various postings that these three are a father and two sons.

The matte clip and trim rings are correct for the Toledo 700. The current 700s have the shiny metal captop end with the Pelikan trademark, which was preceded by the silkscreened trademark, and before that an engraved one. The metal trim on all the other Toledo models is shiny, with rhodium-plated sterling silver used for the trim rings on the M710 and M910 models.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

And no @%#& trim rings on either end! <3

+1

A double bonus for the Toledo, along with the beautiful barrel.

Engineer :

Got my second Pelikan 400NN Merz & Krell, the green-striped one, the second from the right on the pic. Writing with a Merz & Krell is nearly as unspectacular as with modern nibs the same size. Hard as a nail, no line variation, almost dry...

ebXEpl.jpg

GQT88M.jpg

pDHBzg.jpg

Zwei Dinge sind unendlich, das Universum und die menschliche Dummheit, aber bei dem Universum bin ich mir noch nicht ganz sicher. (Einstein)

http://www.facebook.com/GuentherDebertin

• 2 weeks later...

52923177_10155872278937307_6705176189440

I know I am late...

but here it is

It is never late to add a Pelikan :)

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT