Adding To The Flock

mana

@RedPie I’m writing with my Cafe Creme today as well. I’m not sure why, but it’s just an incredibly satisfying pen. I’m glad it’s found its way into so many appreciative hands.

@roshpens I think I like the M605 black tortoise’s looks a bit more, but I’m glad I picked up this gray, black, and silver pen as well. Pelikan has really been making a lot of pens that are such a pleasure to write with. How in the world did this company go bankrupt making such great tools?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• N1003U

• carola

• Lam1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Pelikan that doesn't live up to the firehose reputation...

M805 Stresemann 

20240607_120210.jpg

1 minute ago, SLinkster said:

The Pelikan that doesn't live up to the firehose reputation...

M805 Stresemann 

20240607_120210.jpg

I was quite pleased at the results I got with Goulet’s nib tuning kit on my 101N Jade. The last owner let the ink dry in it, but cleaning out the tines with a brass sheet brought it back to a perfect flow. It really makes me appreciate finally being able to afford new, pristine pens that just work out of the box. Hopefully yours will also be a quick and easy fix.

10 minutes ago, DilettanteG said:

I was quite pleased at the results I got with Goulet’s nib tuning kit on my 101N Jade. The last owner let the ink dry in it, but cleaning out the tines with a brass sheet brought it back to a perfect flow. It really makes me appreciate finally being able to afford new, pristine pens that just work out of the box. Hopefully yours will also be a quick and easy fix.

I'm taking it to my local pen club tomorrow for some help. I'm being cautious since it's essentially new and I haven't worked on an in-warranty 18k nib. I'm happy to do the work but I want some hand-holding while I do it.

2 hours ago, DilettanteG said:

@RedPie I’m writing with my Cafe Creme today as well. I’m not sure why, but it’s just an incredibly satisfying pen. I’m glad it’s found its way into so many appreciative hands.

@roshpens I think I like the M605 black tortoise’s looks a bit more, but I’m glad I picked up this gray, black, and silver pen as well. Pelikan has really been making a lot of pens that are such a pleasure to write with. How in the world did this company go bankrupt making such great tools?

@DilettanteG I dont own a Streseman now. Maybe one day. I sure like the M815 Metal stripes.

Very beautiful modern pens, congratulations.

Yet I somehow prefer sticking to old, neglected or forsaken pens. Here’s one made of bakelite:

IMG_3307.jpeg.8250901d0295168564b6972a67cd87e8.jpeg

Simple and plain, but beautiful in its functional perfection, IMHO.

Maybe I’m just a sentimental old guy, but that’s how I feel.

🙂

1 hour ago, stoen said:

Very beautiful modern pens, congratulations.

Yet I somehow prefer sticking to old, neglected or forsaken pens. Here’s one made of bakelite:

IMG_3307.jpeg.8250901d0295168564b6972a67cd87e8.jpeg

Simple and plain, but beautiful in its functional perfection, IMHO.

Maybe I’m just a sentimental old guy, but that’s how I feel.

🙂

Nothing plain about that one. It is a gorgeous pen, and it appears in excellent shape!

Congratulations.

I'd love some of those, but alas they are way too expensive.

1 hour ago, Lam1 said:

Nothing plain about that one. It is a gorgeous pen, and it appears in excellent shape!

Congratulations.

I'd love some of those, but alas they are way too expensive.

Stoen, I agree with Lam. It's beautiful!!!

Thank you @Lam1 , @Ceilidh.

I still feel like sharing my fascination with this old pen, for its being simple and plain: pure functionality, devoid of any complication and decoration. Yet, so many inovations in one place: piston filling mechanism, huge ink capacity for such a small pen, transparent ink view, ink feed with compensation chambers, captop nib sealing mechanism…

And above all, its precise engineering, which allowed for mass production, interchangeable parts and stationery shop repairs…

I was lucky to get it for a fraction of its average price, in a flea market.

Since in a couple of days is my birthday my wife gifted me with a couple of birds:

CFB8B94E-9B41-4C2B-AFC9-61541CD4BA9D.thumb.jpeg.89c826a40c8c27a6d4845de63c645204.jpeg

5F2040C6-D5E9-4A7B-9C36-56FD0BCB933D.thumb.jpeg.dbc24de2f24ab13ca52c9cf53e1de04f.jpeg

the M1000 brown is beautiful.

ciao

Alfredo

4 hours ago, stoen said:

Thank you @Lam1 , @Ceilidh.

I still feel like sharing my fascination with this old pen, for its being simple and plain: pure functionality, devoid of any complication and decoration. Yet, so many inovations in one place: piston filling mechanism, huge ink capacity for such a small pen, transparent ink view, ink feed with compensation chambers, captop nib sealing mechanism…

And above all, its precise engineering, which allowed for mass production, interchangeable parts and stationery shop repairs…

I was lucky to get it for a fraction of its average price, in a flea market.

Oh, my! Finding one of those in a flea market would be a dream come true!

Unfortunately, around here it is easier to hit the jackpot in the lottery than finding anything useful in a flea market.

And you are absolutely right, those first Pelikans were amazingly innovative pens. So much so that they completely changed the (European) market. Even their design is current, as the recent M101n line from Pelikan has shown (the M101n are some of the best modern birds, IMO).

I got an email from Pen Boutique. The Cafe Creme is on sale at $140. The offer lasts through June 12, 2024, or until sold out. 

Posted Image

@alfredop your wife and those two pens are wonderful. 

@RedPie congratulations on receiving your Cafe Creme. It’s a marvelous looking pen, and @DilettanteG is right about it being in so many appreciative hands. I really, really like mine very much. 

Posted Image

4 hours ago, Misfit said:

I got an email from Pen Boutique. The Cafe Creme is on sale at $140. The offer lasts through June 12, 2024, or until sold out. 

Yeah.  I got the same email.  That's an amazing price.

Wish I'd seen that before getting Café Creme #3 (replacing the first two which got lost) -- but this way I'm going to take way better care of it....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

19 hours ago, Misfit said:

@RedPie congratulations on receiving your Cafe Creme. It’s a marvelous looking pen

Thank you very much, I like that one a lot. 

@Misfit Thanks for sharing that tip. I would have saved a few bucks if I had waited, but buying special edition Pelikans feels like trying to time the stock market. Skating that razor thin line of best price versus missing out takes more of an expert than I am. I hope that price gets it into some more fountain pen loving hands! And @inkstainedruth needs a backup just in case #3 wanders off!

@stoen Beautiful pen. What's that vintage nib write like?

@alfredop I can't possibly justify it, but your M1000 Brown really makes me want to pick one up. I suspect it's going to be unobtainable once it sells out. What a great gift!

Fountain pens really bring out my collector mania.

On 5/31/2024 at 6:31 AM, chromantic said:

EXTREMELY RARE MODEL ,The 400 was made for only 6 years , from 1950 to 1956 Very rare model but this is even more RARE and collectible because this is the EXPORT model, only for Italian Market , the Export model was made for the first two years of production.

It’s a very beautiful pen, although not as “extremely rare” as described. These high quality model pens have been mass produced for 6 years and quite a few of them have survived 70+ years in good condition. Export models were not only made for the Italian market. 

The really rare among them are those of the first three month production series with friction-fit nib units. I’ve only had one in my hands.

Highly appreciated are also the first two or three years production pens with script nibs and Pelikan Günther Wagner designation on the barrel (not on the cap ring), which your model seems to be. Congrats!

Finally added a new bird to my flock and it's a beauty! The new M-1000 Renaissance Brown fine 18k nib. 

PelikanM10004.jpg.73fe2fbed40802747c6e17f9724dd1e5.jpgPelikanM10003.jpg.5cd7413132d70e029069862549fb58ae.jpg

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!