Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• N1003U

• carola

• Lam1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 hours ago, Misfit said:

@chromantic is that a vintage brown tortoise?  I have a vintage brown tortoise from 1954. 

I was wondering the same thing.  My first bird was a 1990s era M400 Brown Tortoise, and it sent me down a rather expensive rabbit hole as a result.... 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Here is the description from the listing:

PELIKAN Gunther Wagner 400 EXPORT TORTOISE BROWN Striped & GOLD - FOUNTAIN PEN - From 1950/1952 - Extremely Rare first series - 14KT GOLD NIB Size HM - PISTON FILLER - Probably NEVER USED With BOX

EXTREMELY RARE MODEL ,The 400 was made for only 6 years , from 1950 to 1956 Very rare model but this is even more RARE and collectible because this is the EXPORT model, only for Italian Market , the Export model was made for the first two years of production.

Probably The Pen has been Never used, I think was inked only for test, It's in Excellent Aesthetic Conditions, have some minor micro sign due time and moving,
Working Perfectly , IT'S READY TO USE!

I'm always impressed by the historical info regarding dates of manufacture provided and amused  by the "Probsbly never used" (or Probably only lightly used) appended to every listing. I mean, reallyu? Someone bought this pen in 1950 just to put away in a drawer instead of proudly carrying it to the envy of his/her co-workers? Admittedly, I have pens I've bought and never used, so who knows. But every pen but one has been in perfect condition and the 140 is so shiny it looks like it was made yesterday (though the nib has obviously seem some use).

Here's another pic:

20752249-5162-1f77-fd28-3e134a095346.jpg

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

@chromanticAny differences between the export model and the regular 400? Thanks

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

5 hours ago, OCArt said:

@chromanticAny differences between the export model and the regular 400? Thanks

Just the ”EXPORT” marking… that is, aside from the ones exported to France, those had 18K nibs with appropriate custom/excise hallmarks (in order to be marketed as a gold nib within France and its colonies/territories, the purity had to be 18 karat or more).

I love those vintage tortoises... I have got one each of the 400 variations and they are superb writers without exception. Plus they are all little beauties. You simply can't go wrong by acquiring one of these. 🥰

17 hours ago, chromantic said:

Here is the description from the listing:

PELIKAN Gunther Wagner 400 EXPORT TORTOISE BROWN Striped & GOLD - FOUNTAIN PEN - From 1950/1952 - Extremely Rare first series - 14KT GOLD NIB Size HM - PISTON FILLER - Probably NEVER USED With BOX

EXTREMELY RARE MODEL ,The 400 was made for only 6 years , from 1950 to 1956 Very rare model but this is even more RARE and collectible because this is the EXPORT model, only for Italian Market , the Export model was made for the first two years of production.

Probably The Pen has been Never used, I think was inked only for test, It's in Excellent Aesthetic Conditions, have some minor micro sign due time and moving,
Working Perfectly , IT'S READY TO USE!

I'm always impressed by the historical info regarding dates of manufacture provided and amused  by the "Probsbly never used" (or Probably only lightly used) appended to every listing. I mean, reallyu? Someone bought this pen in 1950 just to put away in a drawer instead of proudly carrying it to the envy of his/her co-workers? Admittedly, I have pens I've bought and never used, so who knows. But every pen but one has been in perfect condition and the 140 is so shiny it looks like it was made yesterday (though the nib has obviously seem some use).

Here's another pic:

20752249-5162-1f77-fd28-3e134a095346.jpg

Congrats. I have one just a year or so newer and they’re fantastic. The nib is incredible. Mine is away right now having a new piston seal installed. Your post really made me miss it!

I'm very excited as it looks really nice in the pics. Shipped today, maybe have it in a week or so.

I don't think there's really any difference with the Export versions, just a marketing thing, I think. I have a NOS green/black M200 that's also an Export; it's one of the pens I bought and never used, in fact.

I have the 2014? re-inssue of the M400 Brown Tortoise and also an M250 Levenger Tortoise so this will be my 3rd Brown one.

31 minutes ago, chromantic said:

I'm very excited as it looks really nice in the pics. Shipped today, maybe have it in a week or so.

I don't think there's really any difference with the Export versions, just a marketing thing, I think. I have a NOS green/black M200 that's also an Export; it's one of the pens I bought and never used, in fact.

I have the 2014? re-inssue of the M400 Brown Tortoise and also an M250 Levenger Tortoise so this will be my 3rd Brown one.

I love my M400 with late model two chicks nib, but this nib won’t be at all like that. I’ll take a pic of some writing later so you can see the flex and more importantly the flex limits Kirk told me were safe. Oh, and mine is a year newer not older. 1952-53 or so.

Yes, my 140 has a "flexi" nib providing some line variation, which I realized when writing letters like capital "I"s but I try not to intentionally make use of it.

She also has this 400NN which I passed on because the cigar shape is not my favorite. The 400 I bought could easily pass for a modern M400-ish.

cb495e29-44a9-a584-38fd-ea47958fb56f.jpg

And there's this 100, also in excellent condition... well, except for the blocked piston so it's going for only $113

d31d2b9a-6248-0d48-289e-46fbcfce1ed8.jpg

She oftentimes doesn't have any Pelikans but this recent newsletter had 4 items altogether, including a 450 greenstriped pencil from the 50's. I almost bought it, too, just because it has a company branding on the cap band and, if I still was working (where I used a pencil extensively, I would have but really no need of it now.

Honey in Pelikan M1K Renaissance 

Honey KWZ
Pelikan Renaissance M1K 3B
TRP 7

IMG_1618.jpeg

IMG_1622.jpeg

IMG_1616.jpeg

11 minutes ago, roshpens said:

Honey in Pelikan M1K Renaissance 

Honey KWZ
Pelikan Renaissance M1K 3B
TRP 7

IMG_1618.jpeg

IMG_1622.jpeg

IMG_1616.jpeg

That is absolutely majestic! What a gorgeous, gorgeous pen. The new trim rings complement the acrylic so well!

12 minutes ago, vPro said:

That is absolutely majestic! What a gorgeous, gorgeous pen. The new trim rings complement the acrylic so well!

Thank you !

@roshpens Gorgeous pen!  

Don't suppose they come in smaller sizes, though.  An M800 is to big and heavy for me, so I'm guessing an M1000 would be even worse -- even assuming I *could* afford one.... :(

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

59 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

@roshpens Gorgeous pen!  

Don't suppose they come in smaller sizes, though.  An M800 is to big and heavy for me, so I'm guessing an M1000 would be even worse -- even assuming I *could* afford one.... :(

Yes, there is an M800 which is equally beautiful.

@roshpens Wow, perfect pen and ink pairing there. Beautiful!

It's a new pen day for me. My M805 Stresemann with an EF nib came from Cult Pens today. It writes so silky smooth! It also gave me a chance to try my new bottle of Wizard's Pencil by Alchemy inks. It's like Christmas in June. 

IMG_4693.thumb.jpeg.19da18624d69f770fda346e343762393.jpeg

48 minutes ago, DilettanteG said:

It's a new pen day for me. My M805 Stresemann with an EF nib came from Cult Pens today. It writes so silky smooth! It also gave me a chance to try my new bottle of Wizard's Pencil by Alchemy inks. It's like Christmas in June. 

~ @DilettanteG

Thank you for posting the image with a handwriting sample.

The vivid photo expresses your joy which we share!

Such an attractive fountain pen!

Tom K.

Received my Pelikan M200 Cafe Creme yesterday. A day early. I could not be happier. Had to dip it in Private Reserve Sherwood Green. It writes wonderful and I am happy to have a M nib. My small collection of Pelikan pens is growing.063AADB5-D90D-42DD-8D47-D0618079BA2B.JPEG.42033416784cfb79cd95d46d7ddb4296.JPEG

14 hours ago, DilettanteG said:

@DilettanteGThank you !

That is such an elegant pen- Streseman.