Adding To The Flock

mana

On 5/4/2024 at 5:31 PM, Mercian said:

It’s daft, isn’t it?

One would have assumed that Pelikan would have had the sense to design/specify the bottles used for their range of ‘premium’ Edelstein inks to work well with their ‘premium’ M100x and M80x pens, but no 🤷‍♂️

E.g. Don’t the (early models at least of) Iroshizuku bottles contain an indent to facilitate filling pens that have large nibs?

The Edelstein bottles are unquestionably beautiful, and a tactile joy, but they aren’t very practical for those of us who own M80x or M100x pens :doh:

Yes, absolutely daft. I would have expected more from Pelikan, but it would not be the first time I have seen “creatives” in a large organization with some subjectively beautiful idea win the day over demonstrable practical functionality, which has a beauty all its own.

Pilot Iroshizuku bottles are much more practical in that regard, and yes, they have an indentation at the bottom to help with filling further down than certainly Edelstein bottles. With a Lamy 2000, I can essentially empty an Iroshizuku bottle. No need for a syringe.

Traditional Pelikan 4001 bottles are also not bad for filling, at least down to well past half. Bottle design might also be a reason why my trusty green M1000 is very often filled with 4001 Brilliant Black instead of Edelstein Onyx.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• N1003U

• carola

• Lam1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 5/3/2024 at 7:55 PM, Misfit said:

The only choice was M nib. They have new ones for $295. I’m waiting to see if it’s the real deal, and ships and arrives. I tried buying the white tortoise twice from an amazon global seller UK. Neither pen ever arrived. One was out for delivery then it was returning to the sender allegedly damaged. The second one never arrived. I got refunds both times, vowing to never buy from a global seller UK again. 

I've learned to check out reviews on eBay REALLY carefully.  Because if a seller doesn't have 100% positive feedback, I want to know WHY.  And even then I got jerked around by a seller who DID (but who clearly either did NOT have the pen(s) as claimed in the listing; or else -- after agreeing to my offer -- got a "better" one.  And I heard about the cancelled transaction from PayPal BEFORE I heard from eBay OR the seller....  And eBay's attitude was, "The transaction was cancelled, so you can't provide feedback!"  And my response was along the lines of "Hold my beer!" and did it ANYWAY....  Because as I said to them, *I* wasn't the one who cancelled -- it was the seller, AFTER accepting my offer.

The most recent thing I got on eBay wasn't a pen -- it was a "Freddy Mercury" Funko Pop, with him wearing an "ermine" trimmed cape and a crown that's almost the same size as the figure's HEAD.  And just made me laugh.  But the ETA kept shifting (the seller is new and then when I PM'd the guy to see about a tracking #, got this song & dance about "having being away").  Since the guy WAS new, (he only had a couple of other things listed) I did cut him a little slack -- but flat out *said* that I was doing that ONLY because the guy was new....  But he didn't get 100% positive EITHER....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

No issues with the retailer. Talked to them already, taking pens back tomorrow to see if we can find nibs to swap. Will be easier with my wife’s, will just have to see how many silver nibs they have available. First Pelikan nibs we’ve had issues with, strange they were both 6xx and M nibs. The Glauco Cambon isn’t retailer packaging, it’s Pelikan. Same at every seller I’ve seen. No sleeve.

6 hours ago, Cjtamu said:

No issues with the retailer. Talked to them already, taking pens back tomorrow to see if we can find nibs to swap. Will be easier with my wife’s, will just have to see how many silver nibs they have available. First Pelikan nibs we’ve had issues with, strange they were both 6xx and M nibs. The Glauco Cambon isn’t retailer packaging, it’s Pelikan. Same at every seller I’ve seen. No sleeve.

There is so much going on in the box of the Glauco Cambon, I didn´t miss that sleeve for a second. What´s more, I have several of those sleeves and I don´t use a single one. If postage wasn´t as expensive as it is, I would just pack them up and send them over to you. 🤷‍♀️

Well, I won’t be adding an M405 Stresemann to my flock after all. The pen in the box was not the Stresemann. It was a cheaper looking Pelikan pen. The tag from the Stresemann was under the clip. The pen is all one color, snap cap. 

I think someone got a Stresemann for free by buying it, and returning a different pen. 

large.IMG_0694.jpeg.786780fed30cb7b0f870e78787abc8b9.jpeg

Posted Image

3 hours ago, carola said:

There is so much going on in the box of the Glauco Cambon, I didn´t miss that sleeve for a second. What´s more, I have several of those sleeves and I don´t use a single one. If postage wasn´t as expensive as it is, I would just pack them up and send them over to you. 🤷‍♀️

Ha ha ha. Thanks for the offer, but we have umm, several? sleeves and cases. I just thought it strange that that’s where the decided to increase profit margin I mean save money with this pen. Yes, there’s a ton of fun inside the box. Once the writing experience matches we’ll be golden.

@Misfit, sorry to hear. I should be our local shop tomorrow. They had a 605 Stresemann when I was there last week. I know because I had to choose between it and the black tortoise. I’ll see if they have a 405 if you’re interested.

Kind of you @Cjtamu but I’m not sure if I want one at pen shop prices. I was chasing a deal, and at least I can get my money back. 

Posted Image

Bummer about not getting the Stresemann, but getting your money back is at least a sop....

I'll admit that mine doesn't really leave the house at this point -- it's my most expensive pen and I almost lost it a few years ago when I went camping (fortunately it got turned into lost and found before someone ran over it with a fully loaded vehicle hauling a fully loaded trailer...).  But I should think about putting it back in rotation at some point (although at the moment the M200 Café Crème "third time's a charm" pen is still inked up, and it seems sort of silly to have two birds inked up when they both have B nibs...).

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

@inkstainedruth glad your Stresemann survived camping that day. It’s more charmed than your Cafe Creme pens have been. I thought the Stresemann would be a nice buddy to the Moonstone Pelikan. It still might happen. I just need to decide if I should spend the money. I had a car repair that came after I purchased the used Stresemann. 

Posted Image

Thanks.  I hate losing pens (misplaced the chased BHR Waterman Ideal ringtop in the house recently, but managed to find it this morning -- and even with the repairs done on it to get it up and running at the Baltimore/Washington Pen Show a couple of months ago it cost less than that Streseman by a LOT...). :headsmack:

As usual, the fine folks at Dromgoole’s took care of us and swapped nibs. They were surprised also. My wife’s new nib is perfect and she’s now ecstatic about her birthday pen. Mine is broad for a medium nib, line is noticeably wider than hers. Both deliciously wet as they should be. Our Pelikants are now Pelikans 😁

Would most Pelikan owners agree that the gold nibs are softer and put down a broader line than the steel?  I have an M200 fine, which I really like, but have been planning on an M600 and there is white/red stripe available for under $400 right now.  I like the way the M200 fine writes as far as the line width goes…would the M600 gold nib be similar enough or should I go with an EF?

1 hour ago, Geslina said:

Would most Pelikan owners agree that the gold nibs are softer and put down a broader line than the steel?  I have an M200 fine, which I really like, but have been planning on an M600 and there is white/red stripe available for under $400 right now.  I like the way the M200 fine writes as far as the line width goes…would the M600 gold nib be similar enough or should I go with an EF?

The modern gold nibs are roughly one grade broader than the steel nibs. They aren't soft in any way though. Modern Pelikan gold nibs are very rigid.

If you like the F steel nib, go for the EF gold nib.

15 hours ago, carola said:

The modern gold nibs are roughly one grade broader than the steel nibs. They aren't soft in any way though. Modern Pelikan gold nibs are very rigid.

If you like the F steel nib, go for the EF gold nib.

Thank you

I agree with Carola. I always get my Souveran's with EF nibs if I can. I had an M400 red that sat used for years until I finally ordered an EF to replace the M that was on it. I was kind of forced to get an M on the M300 I recently purchased because that was the only option.

Speaking of, the M300 arrived and it is indeed "new" (as far as I can tell), also new in the sense of it having the laser-etched metal crown button like all my M4xx. The M nib is smooth as silk and I have inked it with RO Great Southern Ocean, which I trying for the first time. It's really nice though I think it would benefit from a narrower line.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

• 2 weeks later...

~ @DilettanteG: Thank you for the above post with image and handwriting sample.

Very lovely all around.

Enjoy!

Tom K.

Just ordered this beauty:

50c1f3b1-d3fb-7fb4-33ed-19b398f7b05a.jpg

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

@chromantic is that a vintage brown tortoise?  I have a vintage brown tortoise from 1954. 

Posted Image

18 hours ago, chromantic said:

Just ordered this beauty:

50c1f3b1-d3fb-7fb4-33ed-19b398f7b05a.jpg

Beautiful! Congratulations. This model is my wife's favorite fountain pen and her daily writer. . . with a razor-fine EF nib.