Adding To The Flock

mana

31 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

(...) Where did you get it?  (...)

It came as a freebie with old Waterman's W2 (for about 25 USD), spotted on local web announcement portal.

On the other side Pelikan sign:

eelLyx7.jpg

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• N1003U

• carola

• Lam1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow.  That's even MORE awesome!  Especially since it was some sort of corporate swag....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

1 hour ago, roshpens said:

Adding Pelikan Ocean Swirl 

IMG_1481.jpeg

IMG_1485.jpeg

IMG_1484.jpeg

Beautiful. 

4 hours ago, roshpens said:

IMG_1481.jpeg

IMG_1485.jpeg

IMG_1484.jpeg

Beautiful pictures of a beautiful pen!

I have got mine inked up with Diamine Eau de Nil right now and I enjoy every moment I hold it in my hand.

@carolaThank you. I have not tried that ink. Note for ink shopping.

11 hours ago, roshpens said:

@carolaThank you. I have not tried that ink. Note for ink shopping.

It suits the pen nicely. Just one thing: Don't get the small bottle, buy the 80 ml bottle. Why? Because with the small bottle, you won't be able to fill the pen. The section of the M800s is too wide to pass the bottle's neck. Ask me how I know... 🤪

18 hours ago, roshpens said:

That ink is wonderful!

2 hours ago, carola said:

It suits the pen nicely. Just one thing: Don't get the small bottle, buy the 80 ml bottle. Why? Because with the small bottle, you won't be able to fill the pen. The section of the M800s is too wide to pass the bottle's neck. Ask me how I know... 🤪

lol! Will do.

1 hour ago, RedPie said:

That ink is wonderful!

I am liking the RO inks . 

Thanks to @lascosas I learned of Amazon Warehouse, and the used like new  fountain pens sold there. They had a Pelikan M405 Stresemann with M nib. It was $219 before taxes. I’ve always admired the look of the Stresemann, so I opted for the pay over 6 months option at no interest. I’m considering it my future birthday gift to me pen from me. It’s one of those birthdays ending in a zero. It will arrive soon, and should be checked out. But should I save it for 5 months, or go ahead and use it?

Posted Image

5 hours ago, Misfit said:

But should I save it for 5 months, or go ahead and use it?

I would just wait and use it on your special day. Something to look forward to!

@RedPie that might be a good idea. Since it’s a returned item, I think I’ll still look at it to make sure it’s the right pen, and in good condition. Then I could put it away, and wait as you suggested. 

Posted Image

17 hours ago, Misfit said:

Thanks to @lascosas I learned of Amazon Warehouse, and the used like new  fountain pens sold there. They had a Pelikan M405 Stresemann with M nib. It was $219 before taxes. I’ve always admired the look of the Stresemann, so I opted for the pay over 6 months option at no interest. I’m considering it my future birthday gift to me pen from me. It’s one of those birthdays ending in a zero. It will arrive soon, and should be checked out. But should I save it for 5 months, or go ahead and use it?

Wow!  That's a PHENOMENAL price!  Congratulations!
And here I thought I had done well when they were first released by getting mine from Rolf Thiel's eBay store (thus saving the US distributor markup and VAT -- and back then eBay didn't collect sales tax).  

What nib are you getting on it?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

The only choice was M nib. They have new ones for $295. I’m waiting to see if it’s the real deal, and ships and arrives. I tried buying the white tortoise twice from an amazon global seller UK. Neither pen ever arrived. One was out for delivery then it was returning to the sender allegedly damaged. The second one never arrived. I got refunds both times, vowing to never buy from a global seller UK again. 

Posted Image

On 5/2/2024 at 6:13 AM, carola said:

The narrow neck of the small Diamine bottles is one of the reasons I own an Ink Miser and a syringe to fill some pens. The other is the beautiful but terribly impractical shape of the interior of Pelikan Edelstein ink bottles.

The narrow necks of the small (30ml) Diamine bottles are difficult for many pens.

The Edelstein bottles are attractive and have nice wide necks, but the interior volume seems cleverly designed to resist letting the ink get deep enough to fill any pen with a moderately large nib, regardless of how the bottle is oriented and regardless of the orientation of the pen to the bottle opening.

8 minutes ago, N1003U said:

The Edelstein bottles are attractive and have nice wide necks, but the interior volume seems cleverly designed to resist letting the ink get deep enough to fill any pen with a moderately large nib, regardless of how the bottle is oriented and regardless of the orientation of the pen to the bottle opening.

It’s daft, isn’t it?

One would have assumed that Pelikan would have had the sense to design/specify the bottles used for their range of ‘premium’ Edelstein inks to work well with their ‘premium’ M100x and M80x pens, but no 🤷‍♂️

E.g. Don’t the (early models at least of) Iroshizuku bottles contain an indent to facilitate filling pens that have large nibs?

The Edelstein bottles are unquestionably beautiful, and a tactile joy, but they aren’t very practical for those of us who own M80x or M100x pens :doh:

large.Mercia45x27IMG_2024-09-18-104147.PNG.4f96e7299640f06f63e43a2096e76b6e.PNG  Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.  spacer.png

3 hours ago, N1003U said:

That's one of the reasons why I never found it worthwhile to purchase any Edelstein inks. You can tell, just by looking at the bottles, that filling the pens from there won't be exactly a joy. Which is even stranger as the 4001 bottles work pretty well.

Another reason is that I am happy with the 4001 colours and don't see why I should pay a lot more for inks I don't really need. And still another reason is the bad reputation of Edelstein inks where vintage pens are concerned.

M600 Glauco Cambon medium that I gave my wife for her birthday on Friday and the black tortoise M605 medium I’d been holding onto so we could play with them together when I gave her hers. Filled mine with Edelstein Onyx and hers with Pilot Irushizuku yu-yake last night. Wish I could report a grand time was had by all, but we went from ecstatic to deflated in a hurry. I’ve only had one pen that was a more miserable writing experience out of the box. Mine is just subpar. Hard starting, takes moderate pressure to make it write, inconsistent ink flow and far from the wetness I expect from a Pelikan. Hers is even worse, won’t write at all without pressure and dries up soon as you let up. No change after sitting overnight. Mine may be a case of baby’s bottom, hers could be a little more. I don’t plan to diagnose it. If I ever buy a new Merz and it stutters on the way home I’m not hooking it up to a code puller either! I know the store I bought them from will take care of us, but it’s a severe source of irritation to me. For the premium Pelikan is asking these days, taking it in for a tune or customization should be matter of choice, not a necessity. Especially when a Pilot that writes comparably can be had for a little over half the price. Our other Pelikans wrote beautifully out of the box so I don’t know if this a problem specific to the 6xx medium nibs or not but I’m pretty disappointed. As an aside, I was shocked when we found that they didn’t include the white pen sleeve with the Glauco Cambon edition. On a pen with a significant premium over a standard edition?! Crazy.

20240505_192912_resized.jpeg

20240505_192941_resized.jpeg

21 hours ago, Cjtamu said:

M600 Glauco Cambon medium that I gave my wife for her birthday on Friday and the black tortoise M605 medium I’d been holding onto so we could play with them together when I gave her hers. Filled mine with Edelstein Onyx and hers with Pilot Irushizuku yu-yake last night. Wish I could report a grand time was had by all, but we went from ecstatic to deflated in a hurry. I’ve only had one pen that was a more miserable writing experience out of the box. Mine is just subpar. Hard starting, takes moderate pressure to make it write, inconsistent ink flow and far from the wetness I expect from a Pelikan. Hers is even worse, won’t write at all without pressure and dries up soon as you let up. No change after sitting overnight. Mine may be a case of baby’s bottom, hers could be a little more. I don’t plan to diagnose it. If I ever buy a new Merz and it stutters on the way home I’m not hooking it up to a code puller either! I know the store I bought them from will take care of us, but it’s a severe source of irritation to me. For the premium Pelikan is asking these days, taking it in for a tune or customization should be matter of choice, not a necessity. Especially when a Pilot that writes comparably can be had for a little over half the price. Our other Pelikans wrote beautifully out of the box so I don’t know if this a problem specific to the 6xx medium nibs or not but I’m pretty disappointed. As an aside, I was shocked when we found that they didn’t include the white pen sleeve with the Glauco Cambon edition. On a pen with a significant premium over a standard edition?! Crazy.

20240505_192912_resized.jpeg

20240505_192941_resized.jpeg

Wow! That is shocking. While modern Pelikan nibs may be famous for boring their owners to death, a lack of reliability is definitely something neither I nor any of the multiple Pelikan owners I know would expect very often. The M60x is my go-to model, and I have had maybe one nib out of many that turned out to be slightly over polished, and the retailer fixed it pronto.

As disappointing as it is, I would get those things back to their sellers pronto for warranty claims. 

It does seem a little cheap not to include a pen sleeve, but I think with Pelikan, packaging is generally a retailer choice, so it might be worth asking if the missing pen sleeve was an oversight.

Anecdotally, my black tortoise in F writes like a champ, and my Glauco Cambon in B was OK before I had it ground into a crisp architect, which I especially appreciate as a lefty.