Adding To The Flock

mana

1 hour ago, DilettanteG said:

@carola My Pleasure! I'm a sucker for anything ocean colored. I have the M800 and K800 Ocean Swirl set as well, which is a personal favorite, but I think the Athens still takes it in terms of looks.

Plus, I saw this Toledo for sale and it reminded me of you:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/404866567673?itmmeta=01HSBV98TGS5C4Y5NSQ5WC9JS8&hash=item5e43ed8df9:g:U~YAAOSwRudldzji&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA4P46BHqeaW3gCl%2FV4er4i76mx%2BFPZJ0EJrWo3dDnpdZvR80kh9vkkzZp5j4pdNhfduZQ2dq8nT8qbTa%2F1eWQmRC9W1W18atMbcb25I9bQKr1b7vv6L4j3xtKqDXkMtLTQ1CAhPPNDSswIAL2ypRgA4dvoiSd1BSyGpZRLfAc4yY5%2FIMnQyaLeqN158eKQrRUe5pvSUFKK4PMNMgSqi5Z%2BKcMh1bSqGjVPlrzUgFdMKAvN1AVusQDHtiul8VL%2FqZnBnQcl%2BoI8wP9cqNOxRY0I7tnukhTfmkQ6zbPt4SzC%2FoK|tkp%3ABk9SR7aNpfvKYw'

The price is eye waveringly high, but the pictures are quite impressive. Even the M101N Toledos I've seen are way out of my budget, but I don't know how I would ever get over $7K of fun out of a pen. It's mind boggling how very, very rich some people are these days. Maybe, if you're one of those three people who own half the wealth in the US a vintage Toledo is your equivalent of a Bic?

No, they are not (I suppose), because vintage Toledos from the 1930s are not readily available, whether you have the money or not. I think the price for this one is good, if the condition is indeed as good as the seller is stating.

Fortunately, there is no need for me to ask myself whether I could afford to buy it. Reason one: It's not an N version. Reason two: The Bulgarian seller won't ship to Austria. 🤷‍♀️

And yes, the Ocean Swirl is great. I have mine inked at the moment and unpacking it at work is always a great joy.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• N1003U

• carola

• Lam1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 hours ago, carola said:

No, they are not (I suppose), because vintage Toledos from the 1930s are not readily available, whether you have the money or not. I think the price for this one is good, if the condition is indeed as good as the seller is stating.

Fortunately, there is no need for me to ask myself whether I could afford to buy it. Reason one: It's not an N version. Reason two: The Bulgarian seller won't ship to Austria. 🤷‍♀️

And yes, the Ocean Swirl is great. I have mine inked at the moment and unpacking it at work is always a great joy.

What is the difference between an N version and this one: a T111? The only one I'm really familiar with is the Originals of Their Time series version, which I think is an M101N, since I only collect modern Pelikans. Obviously, it's purely a theoretically question for me. I just received what I hope to be my last new pen for a while: a  brand new Montblanc 146 Calligraphy Flex sent over from Germany. It was on my "grail" list. So, my pen buying urge should be satisfied for a good long while.

2 hours ago, DilettanteG said:

What is the difference between an N version and this one: a T111?

Details of the T111 can be found on:

https://www.pelikan-collectibles.com/en/Pelikan/Models/Historic-Pens/100/index.html#heading_toc_j_5

Details of the 100N Toledo can be found on:

https://www.pelikan-collectibles.com/en/Pelikan/Models/Historic-Pens/100N/index.html#heading_toc_j_5

Both pages have a model-summary & ‘timeline’ at their top.
I think that I have linked to the photos of each model, so you may need to scroll back up to the top of each page to see the details & timelines.

large.Mercia45x27IMG_2024-09-18-104147.PNG.4f96e7299640f06f63e43a2096e76b6e.PNG  Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.  spacer.png

This photo on my website may be helpful.Originals of their Time 1931 Toledo (2003) is a faithful reprint of T111 Toledo (with minor differences such as feeds). It is different from the M101N series; 100N Toledo has not yet been reissued.

Please visit my website Modern Pelikan Pens for the latest information. It is updating and correcting original articles posted in "Dating Pelikan fountain Pen".

On 3/19/2024 at 8:56 PM, DilettanteG said:

What is the difference between an N version and this one: a T111? The only one I'm really familiar with is the Originals of Their Time series version, which I think is an M101N, since I only collect modern Pelikans? Obviously, it's purely a theoretically question for me. I just received what I hope to be my new last pen for a while: a  brand new Montblanc 146 Calligraphy Flex sent over from Germany. It was on my "grail" list. So, my pen buying urge should be satisfied for a good long while.

The main difference to me is the piston knob. The first (and reissued) version of the Toledo has that flat bottomed piston knob I just can't get myself to like. I can't help it, to me, it looks like someone has cut off the last bit and that sharp angle somehow doesn't match the rest of the rounded design. The vintage N version has a rounded butt that in my opinion suits the pen a lot better.

Your modern M100N models all have that nicely rounded piston knob, but for the reissued Toledo they chose to go with the flat bottomed original model. I can understand that they wanted to recreate the first version, but personally I would have gone for the facelift, the N version. 🤷‍♀️

As someone to whom the base design of the 100N is perfect, here’s for hoping for an M101N Toledo… 🤞🏻

Also, it seems that this topic has reached 100 pages, with over 2000 replies over five years! Nice! Thank you all for your contributions! :)

On 3/17/2024 at 2:19 PM, DilettanteG said:

@Intensity

@senzen  I actually bought my MC110 and some extra nibs for it specifically to use them in my modern M200s, so I know that swap works. The M400 gold nibs will also fit, if you want to be fancy. I haven't tried it, but I've been told the M600 will fit as well, as long as there's enough clearance in the cap for the longer M600 nib. Since the MC110 italic is an untipped nib (no ball underneath to smooth out the scratchiness) and sharp edged, those are a little more finicky to use. Great line variation though!

Thank you!

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Thanks to everyone for answering my Toledo question, especially @tacitus and his very helpful blog and its picture with all the various releases in one image.

@carola The 101N OoTT cap is shorter, but it really holds the posted cap snuggly with its textured piston nob. I'm enjoying all my recent acquisitions enough to take a break from buying for a while, but that whole OoTT series is pretty tempting. Honestly, the Toledos are too pricey for me, I think I've seen them listed from about $3500-4500 when they do appear. I just spent over $1K for a fountain pen for the first time and am still a bit dazed by that. Three and a half to four and a half times that is too much extravagance for me. That's horse hobby kind of money! (Fountain pens are supposed to be my three figure hobby. 😀)

It's been so incredibly satisfying to be able to buy so many Pelikans new for the first in my life. I hope the brand survives its bankruptcy okay. They make such a lovely product. It's been such a joy to share all my new pens in the pen love fest that is this board. The pure pleasure in this hobby seems to run as deep as the knowledge does here. I feel lucky to have found such a nice group of people on such a well mod'ed space. Kudos FPN!

:yikes:

And I thought that the price of a modern M700 size Toledo was way beyond my price point....

Ruth Morrissona aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

2 hours ago, DilettanteG said:

Fountain pens are supposed to be my three figure hobby. 😀

Same for me. That's why I compromised and got myself an M700 Toledo at a pretty nice price some time ago. I don't feel like I can afford a pen in the category € 5,000 to € 10,000 either, which is why I would love Pelikan to reissue the Toledo's N version and hopefully at a decent price - although I don't believe they will. I would probably be the second person to buy one (mana would hit the "Buy now" button even faster than me, I guess. 😂)

Not familiar with the N version Toledo.  What's the difference between that and a "standard Toledo" design?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

19 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

Not familiar with the N version Toledo.  What's the difference between that and a "standard Toledo" design?

She means a Toledo built on the ‘chassis’ of a 100N or a 101N or M101N, as opposed to the ‘T111’, which was a very early Toledo that was built on a Pelikan 100.

large.Mercia45x27IMG_2024-09-18-104147.PNG.4f96e7299640f06f63e43a2096e76b6e.PNG  Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.  spacer.png

Take a look at the picture tacitus referenced above.

There are 5 Toledo versions in that picture:

1) the 111T, which is the original version from the 1930s

2) the 100N, the only slightly younger N version

3) the M700

4) the M900

5) the M101 (Originals of their Time) from 2003, which is the reissued original version

Thanks, carola -- I'll admit that I had glossed over some of the earlier posts.

51 minutes ago, carola said:

Same for me. That's why I compromised and got myself an M700 Toledo at a pretty nice price some time ago. I don't feel like I can afford a pen in the category € 5,000 to € 10,000 either, which is why I would love Pelikan to reissue the Toledo's N version and hopefully at a decent price - although I don't believe they will. I would probably be the second person to buy one (mana would hit the "Buy now" button even faster than me, I guess. 😂)

I'd be the third. 👍

2 minutes ago, DilettanteG said:

I'd be the third. 👍

Thought so. 😁

Umm... Hi, Pelikan! We really need an M101N Toledo, please! Could you please start production asap? You already sold 3 of them. Oh, and please keep the price in the 3 digit range, thank you very much.

Good?

2 hours ago, carola said:

Umm... Hi, Pelikan! We really need an M101N Toledo, please! Could you please start production asap? You already sold 3 of them. Oh, and please keep the price in the 3 digit range, thank you very much.

Good?

Perfect! No notes!

Eeeeeee!!! Endless Pens has assigned a tracking number to my Orange Delight!  I'm guessing it will actually get into the mail system tomorrow, which will our it at my house maybe Monday. Hopefully. I'm excited!

Time to start cleaning pens so I can ink up all the birds for a family portrait!