The Perfect Blue Ink

Fuzzy_Bear

I prefer Blurples but here are some of my favorite Blues.

BSB

Dromgooles Blue Steel - not for the color - but for when I become frustrated with my fussy ink selections.

KWZI Blue #4 (no longer available)

Maya Lapis

Shigure

PR DCSSB

Diamine Bilberry

Diamine Sargasso Sea

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_2024.jpgfpn_1408166408__kwzi_1-4.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fuzzy_Bear

• inkstainedruth

• TSherbs

• putteringpenman

For intense blues I really enjoy Monteverde Sapphire and Diamine Blue Velvet (fairly close in color); dark blues would be Diamine Midnight, and Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite. When I’m looking for something a little different, like Sholom above, I like Noodler’s Ottoman Azure and Bad Belted Kingfisher.

Hi all,

I'm really fond of Diamine Midnight for a dark blue,... Monteverde Horizon Blue and Iroshizuku Asa-Gao for deep blues... and for lighter blues,... Diamine Asa Blue and Waterman Inspired Blue are nice.

- Anthony

KWZ Baltic Memories

KWZ IG Turquoise

Diamine Oxford Blue

J Herbin Bleu Pervenche

Diamine China Blue

The KWZ inks are the ones I use most often these days....

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

Depends a lot on the pen and paper.

My daily right now is Iroshizuku Tsuki-Yo (more a teal-black?) because of its excellent flow.

Parker Penman Sapphire has been a beloved ink. Found a bottle in a small paper store in a small town in Sicily, did a whole summer of writing with it.

As much as I love vivid blues, all the more since I don't perceive nuances very well with my glasses on, I am generally looking for a blue or a blue black that won't tire my eyes.

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

My two favorite blues are currently a toss-up between Monteverde Sapphire (leans to purple) and Monteverde Ocean Noir (like a darker version of Monteverde Horizon Blue or Parker Penman Sapphire).

KWZ Walk Over Vistula has also entered the house and is a really wonderful deep blue that has a touch of teal.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

Purchased two bottles of Graf von Faber-Castell Cobalt Blue - really have taken a shine to it. Nice flow, low or no feathering drys quickly and have not found any pen it did not like.

I am constantly searching for the perfect blue ink. There is rarely a blue ink that disappoints me and I agree with many of the inks others have mentioned.

So far I like Pilot Blue, Pilot Iroshizuku Shin-Kai, and Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite the best based on color and dry time.

That said, I'm sure I'll never find a perfect ink, but I like the journey more than the destination :)

You are not alone, hence the Inky Journey thread linked to in my signature. You may never finish your Quest for the Perfect Blue, but I'm sure you'll get to meet many delightful blues along the way.

Hi! My name is Mike. As re blues and blue-blacks, me too. But before I get into any of these myself, lemme start off with Sandy1's ten. As in her OOTT:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/196998-one-of-the-ten-blue-inks/

Thank you! I need to bookmark that thing.

My blue of choice is Noodler's Blue. If I ever use it all up (and the bottle of "I Can't Believe It's Waterman Florida Blue" and the packet of Blackstone Cashmere blue powdered ink, and maybe even the Noodler's Midway Blue that my wife bought but doesn't use), then I will likely get a bottle of Blue Eel.

I used to love Levenger Cobalt for its color, but not its feathering. These days, I regard it as too dark to be a suitable blue.

I used to love Levenger Cobalt for its color, but not its feathering. These days, I regard it as too dark to be a suitable blue.

I like this in my Decimo with a fine nib. The feathering is minimized, and the hue is good.

I have two blues I go to all the time. Noodler's Midway Blue and Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo.

Midway Blue is the perfect balance between dark and light for my tastes,and Tsuki-yo is that one ink I just never tire of seeing flow upon the page.

For everyday, always in several pens: Pilot Blue (BIG bottle, BIG value), Waterman Serenity Blue (ah . . . the name says it all!). For special purposes (but each always inked up in a good pen): Diamine Oxford Blue, and Diamine Majestic Blue. I like the latter two for handwritten academic correspondence. They both possess a degree of gravitas, plus desirable physical/chemical characteristics. (And if the recipient doesn't agree? So what? Neither he nor she, nor I, are actually important outside of our little world.)

One of these four inks should get the job done as and when you require.

Have about 15 other blues, some are quite lovely (such as from Herbin), but WAY too expensive or not quite a serious enough blue for purposes other than writing notes or to family/close friends. None were mistakes, remarkably enough, but blue IS my favorite color. Like many fp inks, some are just too playful.

Edited by amberleadavis
Hidden Bashing.

Brian

As far as my opinion is concerned:

most Beautiful Blue is MB Diamond Blue.

most preferred blues are Pilot Blue and Visconti Blue.

Favorite document Blue is MB Permanent Blue.

Most used ink is MB Midnight Blue, Iron Gall formula. (not really all that blue but its great).

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

Monteverde Horizon Blue

I just got a free bottle with my last Goulet order. I haven't tried a ton of blue inks (Iroshizuku Kon-peki and Ama-iro, Pilot Blue, Diamine Presidential Blue), but so far Horizon Blue is the blue I've been looking for. I'm not good at describing colors, but to me it's a deep, rich blue. I need to try it with some different pens/nib sizes.

I think I've just figured out why Horizon Blue has been resonating with me so much. I think it's close to the ink color of a Blue Pilot Varsity.... I really don't understand why Pilot doesn't make the equivalent in a bottled fountain pen ink....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Montblanc Royal Blue is my favourite. Close runners up include Diamine Midnight and China Blue, Stipula Blue, and Shin-kai.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Nothing's perfect. That's why I keep buying blues.

Walk in shadow / Walk in dread / Loosefish walk / As Like one dead