The Perfect Blue Ink

Fuzzy_Bear

You knew it would happen when someone asked about black. I'm that person.

Dromgoole's Texas Bluebonnet
Dromgoole's Blue Steel

I have 10 different blues, those are my favorites.

Edited by amberleadavis
language...

Peace and Understanding

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fuzzy_Bear

• inkstainedruth

• TSherbs

• DrDebG

Only been into fountain pen and inks for 2 years. Haven't used a lot of blues.

In my view, the perfect ink should-

1. Write on all papers

2. Water resistant

3. Good flow.

I haven't found my perfect blue.

But I love Rohrer Klingner Salix, although a blue black. Dont always perform on all papers, but great on cheap papers

Just my 2 cents

diamine blue velvet and midnight.

they work in any pen I have. very well behaved and legible enough with extra fine Japanese nibs. and write on a good variety of paper. flow is nice and healthy. I won't ask for more.

I have several "perfect" blues:

Stipula Calamo Deep Blue

DeAtramentis Steel Blue

GvFC Cobalt Blue

J. Herbin Eclat d'Saphir

Monteverde Sapphire Blue

L'Artisan Pastellier Callifolio Bleu Atlantique

I could go on since blue is my favorite color and I have more blues than any other color.

I am always on the hunt for "perfect" blues.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I probably have more blue and blue blacks than anything else.

For water resistance, Noodler's Liberty's Elysium and R&K Hellblau.

For "safe" ink (especially in vintage pens, such as Parker 61s with capillary fillers), it's J. Herbin Eclat de Saphir, vintage Quink Permanent Blue.

For drop-dead gorgeous, I'm starting to really like Monteverde Horizon Blue, but am also a fan of Diamine Oxford Blue and KWZI Chicago Blue LE.

For bright (but not quite to turquoise) blues, it's De Atramentis Sky Blue, Iroshizuku Kon-peki, and and Lamy Pacific Blue LE.

Still trying to make up my mind about Akkerman Dutch Masters Ceruleum Blauw van Vermeer.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I finally got the right shade for several blues in different pens, but it's highly subjective, today it's:

1. Tsuyu Kusa, Sailor pro Gear medium.

2. Équinoxe 6, Lamy Vista fine.

3. Asa Gao, Pelikan m600 fine.

4. Kon Peki, Pelikan m205 fine with some cellophane.

5. Kon Peki, Lamy Studio EF (looks way more pale, like a baby blue).

6. Ama Iro, Lamy Studio EF.

7. Ajisai, Lamy Studio EF.

8. Kon Peki, Platinum Cool medium (looks way darker, like on its box).

9. Bleu Austral, Faber castell Ambition EF (green blue, may not even seem blue to everyone!).

10. Souten, Parker 75 fine.

Edited by pseudo88

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Interesting. This morning I spent a bit of time trying to determine what blue ink sample I had used in late October in one of my journals. After much searching I found it was the Lamy Pacific Blue. The color didnt impress me while using it - and now I see how gorgeous it is! Next ink order will include a bottle of the Lamy Pacific Blue. :)

I am constantly searching for the perfect blue ink. There is rarely a blue ink that disappoints me and I agree with many of the inks others have mentioned.

So far I like Pilot Blue, Pilot Iroshizuku Shin-Kai, and Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite the best based on color and dry time.

That said, I'm sure I'll never find a perfect ink, but I like the journey more than the destination :)

Currently inked:

- Pilot Custom 743 <M> with Pilot Black

- Pelikan M120 Iconic Blue <B> with Pilot Blue

- Lamy Studio All Black <M> with Pilot Blue-Black

YouTube fountain pen reviews: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2qU4nlAfdZpQrSakktBMGg/videos

Sandy1's comparisons are really remarkable work.

Like few others here , I use almost only blue inks, I have several, I like many, and I am on constant quest for the perfect blue...

Sandy1's work shows some of my favourites.

I give great importance to the colour in my choice.

Several of the inks used in the comparison have a tendency to purple, and I like that (whilst I dislike tendency to green, and can only bear a slight tendency to torquoise).

In the comparison my favourites are Private reserve American Blue and Visconti Blue because they are more neutral (and slightly darker).

Waterman Florida (Serenity) is also a favourite despite a very slight tendency to purple - difficult to spot on paper).

Montblanc Royal blue is also close, almost neutral, and nicely dark.

Asa Gao is bright and contrasted but slightly more purplish, similarly JH Eclat De Saphir, even more purple (I would add Diamine Sapphire here)

Ottoman is too turquoise for me already...

and Pelikan royal blue, with all its faults, is a go to blue for testing, vintage pens, large reservoir EDs, etc.

Many darker blues are not in, but are favourites also, Diamine Oxford, Sargasso...

Blue blacks, R&K Salix, Edelstein Tanzanite...

The perfect blue is still being researched, but there are many close seconds

Edited by sansenri

Diamine Oxford Blue is one of the very best for me.

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

Hi,

after using Pelikan Royal Blue for seven years in school, I got a Königsblau trauma. ;-)

So today I don't like a bright or high saturated blue, IG blue blacks are my choice:

Pelikan 4001 Blue Black for broader wet nibs,

Diamine Registrar's Blue Black, its hue is similar to Pelikan BB

ESSRI Blue Black, a bit on the reddish side, like the brighter R&K Salix.

Each of them is perfect when filled in a matching pen...

A semi flex ef nib with Registrar's on smooth Clairefontain paper is a dream!

Best

Jens

Edited by SchaumburgSwan

.....................................................................................................

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145166@N02/albums

Like any ink, a "perfect" color must have good handling characteristics on the papers I typically use. When it comes to blues, I prefer them not too greenish. I definitely have more blue inks than any other. But quite difficult to choose ones that are better than others.

For regularly available inks Sailor Jentle Blue, KWZ Azure #5, Montblanc Midnight Blue, and Noodler's FPH Henry Hudson Blue come to mind as reliable inks. For stuff harder to find/LE, the Montblanc JFK Navy Blue, and a slew of Sailor custom bespoke inks for Japanese shops.

I do not fail to enjoy Pelikan 4001 Königsblau or Waterman Serenity Blue but I slightly prefer Aurora Blue among the standards. Pelikan's Edelstein Sapphire appears similar.

For something a little more blue I like GvFC Cobalt, Visconti blue and S T Dupont Royal blue (with hopeless bottle).

X

Monteverde Horizon Blue

I just got a free bottle with my last Goulet order. I haven't tried a ton of blue inks (Iroshizuku Kon-peki and Ama-iro, Pilot Blue, Diamine Presidential Blue), but so far Horizon Blue is the blue I've been looking for. I'm not good at describing colors, but to me it's a deep, rich blue. I need to try it with some different pens/nib sizes.

Edited by twin63

Since I don't like blues tending violet, my favorite blues are Noodler's Ottoman Azure, Bad Belted Kingfisher, and Eel Blue. I generally also have a pen filled with Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue. Diamine Oxford Blue is my choice for a darker blue If I only could have one, it would be the Ottoman Azure..

My all time favorite ink is kon peki and asa gao is my favorite "true blue". I find ada gao to be extremely close to serenity blue and visconti blue.

I'm toying with the idea of mixing equal parts of Pilot Blue with Asa-Go to get a little more water resistance and more 'pop' than Pilot Blue alone.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams