Asa Mist- The Enthralling Beauty

Sagarb

fpn_1538818180__dsc_6853.jpg

Translucent handmade fountain pen was introduced first in India in 2015 by Mr.Subramaniam of Asa pen and the model was Galactic .Galactic is one of the flagship models from Asa house. Along with his Nauka and Maya, it is one of the best-selling models so far. I still remember when I first got Asa Galactic flat top in my hand, I Couldn’t keep it away from me for few days. I was so impressed with the translucent finish, began to like demonstrator pens ever since.My first review in FPN of any Asa pen was Galactic.

After galactic, his next mission was Nauka in the demonstrator version (named TransNauka) which has been a best seller as well and still it has a big demand. It was the year 2016. Later, I have seen the translucent version of Maya and Genius also, which were made for custom orders. Subbu (Mr.Subramaniam) sent the pics of them every time and I admired them.

Now it was my turn. I wanted a pen to be made which would have a very simple and smart look, light weight and balanced, comfortable grip and regular in size, which can easily fit into any pocket and of course the material would be of acrylic in clear translucent finish.

I always noticed that the sections made of hard rubber (ebonite) gives me more comfort in fingers than other material does. That is my personal feelings. So finally I have decided that the whole pen would be in clear translucent acrylic except the section and the cap finial. I asked him to make the section and cap finial in black ebonite. Asa I Can/I Will/ Genius/Azaadi all have same hour glass sections in ebonite and offer great comfort as well . But I didn’t want the same section this time; I wanted the hour glass curvature would be little deeper and parabolic than these.. Subbu added a widen part in the end of the section towards nib like Asa Maya /Forever etc.

IMHO,clip plays a vital part to make a pen looks attractive, so I have chosen a straight clip which only comes with his Asa Sniper and it worked. Its smart look really made a justification to the simplistic design of Mist.

Previously I wanted the Mist would be produced only in clear translucent version, but Subbu added 3 more colors. Translucent Finish has three variants- Tangerine, Aqua Blue and Clear and he added one model in full opaque Red Acrylic, which is brushed finish. And thank God he did so, because the red one is so fascinating.

In the nib options, I have chosen Jowo no 6 nib and Schmidt k5 converter for the clear translucent for two reasons basically: Firstly Jowo F nib fits with my handwriting perfectly and secondly I didn't want the barrel wall of my Mist get any kind of stain causes by some inks. But my red one is an ED filler.I replaced the stock Asa nib from it and put an architect ground Jinhao nib into it.

Mr. Subramaniam is very well known for his fair prices, he is offering some special 25% discount in the group buy here in FPN. Link is here .

fpn_1538822304__dsc_6863.jpg

Together

fpn_1538822522__dsc_6897.jpg

Uncapped

fpn_1538822079__dsc_6857.jpg

The cap and the clip

fpn_1538822241__dsc_6856.jpg

Brushed finished

fpn_1538822337__dsc_6870.jpg

Lady in red

fpn_1538822423__dsc_6883.jpg

Nib

fpn_1538822450__dsc_6891.jpg

Cap and barrel end

fpn_1538822489__dsc_6892.jpg

Section

fpn_1538822581__dsc_6900.jpg

Dismantled

fpn_1538822694__dsc_6915.jpg

Size comparison,from left: Lamy 2000 vs Asa Mist Opaque Red vs Asa Mist Translucent vs Pilot Custom 74

fpn_1538822637__dsc_6908.jpg

Writing sample

Mr. Subramaniam of ASA pens has been very gracious in entertaining the Mist order. I am very grateful to him that he gave his valuable time to me and make this wonderful writing instrument successfully.

Sagar Bhowmick

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sagarb

• bobje

• Aditkamath26

• rajayk

A very nice review Sagar dada. The Mist originally did not appeal to me, but after reading this review, it looks like a nice pen. Also, a very way to showcase the writing sample using different fonts. Well done! I am waiting for my Maya in an Aqua blue acrylic.

A very nice review Sagar dada. The Mist originally did not appeal to me, but after reading this review, it looks like a nice pen. Also, a very way to showcase the writing sample using different fonts. Well done! I am waiting for my Maya in an Aqua blue acrylic.

Thanks very much Adi.

Sagar Bhowmick

Wow, Sagar. This review shows your evolution from user to designer of pens as tools. Briliant clip selection, and pairing the ebonite section for comfort with the transparency of the acrylic for checking ink levels, cleaning, visual interest — terrific idea. Great photography. Looks like a hit with ASA.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Thanks very much Bob.. it's a pleasure hearing from you after a long time.. actually all the credit goes to Subbu.there was no drawing or layouts..only verbal exchanges..I was a bit surprised when I got the pen in hand.. that's exactly what I wanted..and how finely he formed the whole thing..

Sagar Bhowmick

Superb pen and a great review. Looks like the pen can be eyedropper-ed, have you tried it?

Thanks very much. Yes , the red one is ED filler, I have already mentioned that in the review..and I like ED pens..

Edited by Sagarb

Sagar Bhowmick

Thanks for the intro, very handsome pens.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

• 2 weeks later...

Marvelous review and stunning photography!

That red beauty just glows... Now I want the one I ordered to arrive in the mail even quicker!

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Marvelous review and stunning photography!

That red beauty just glows... Now I want the one I ordered to arrive in the mail even quicker!

Congratulations..I hope you would like it..

Sagar Bhowmick